The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Iroshizuku Vs Graf Von Faber-Castell

iroshizuku graf von faber-castell ink comparison

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Fountain Pens

Sky Fountain Pens

Scientia Est Potentia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 23:44

Hi Everyone, 

I'm thinking of buying some ink for my new fountain pen. So far I have settled on two kinds of ink to buy,

Graf von Faber-Castell  and  Iroshizuku. I was wondering what ink to get, has anyone tried both of these 

inks and no which is better. Also I anyone know any better in please tell me. 

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 23:49

I've only used the Cobalt Blue F-C ink, but I've used Tsuki-yo, Fuyu-syogun, Tsutsuji, Kon-peki, Ama-iro and Syo-ro on the Iroshizuku side.

The Cobalt Blue from Faber-Castell is meh, it's not very 'cobalt' in color far as the blue I was expecting, kind of dull. Doesn't seem to have a flow problem but neither did any of the Iroshizuku inks I've used (Fuyu-syogun is a little on the wet side as is Ama-iro, but you kind of need wetness for fuyu-syogun to shade effectively).

Thus far the two Iroshizuku inks I prefer to use is Tsuki-yo and Syo-ro, otherwise the primary brand of inks I like to use is Noodler's (Black Eel, Liberty's Elysium, Blue Steel and Apache Sunset) as most of the ones I use are waterproof. Tsuki-yo and Syo-ro have some resistance.

Far as what's better, where does your priorities sit? What do you want exactly from an ink? What pens/nib combination are you using?

Edited by KBeezie, 06 November 2014 - 23:50.

#3 Sky Fountain Pens

Sky Fountain Pens

Scientia Est Potentia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 23:58

My priority is to get a ink that flows well and doesn't break my pen. I also heard that Japanese inks are alkaline and can do some thing to your pen.(forgot what it was)

#4 Suji

Suji

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 00:34

I only have Moss Green from GvFC so I don't have much experience with them, but I have a bunch of Pilot Iroshizuku inks. The Iroshizuku inks are fairly wet and are very easy to clean from a pen, and their bottles are gorgeous. :)

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

#5 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:18

My priority is to get a ink that flows well and doesn't break my pen. I also heard that Japanese inks are alkaline and can do some thing to your pen.(forgot what it was)

Alkaline neutralizes acid (water is in the middle of acidic and alkaline, so like some of the noodler's inks like Black Eel, it's pH Neutral). Acidic inks like older formulations of Iron Gall will damage especially for corrosive metals (steel etc).

Never had a flow problem with Iroshizuku and they're generally much easier to clean out than some of my Noodler's or Diamine choices. They're just a bit more expensive ($20-28 for 50mls, as opposed to around $12 for 90ml).

Iroshizuku inks isn't going to kill you pen, not cleaning your pen before switching inks might though.

Edited by KBeezie, 07 November 2014 - 01:21.

#6 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:06

I love them both, but I think I prefer Iro.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#7 paulmcmanus

paulmcmanus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:08

Both perform well, it really depends on the colour. I too have the GvFC Cobalt and found it to be quite disappointing - really rather dark and flat. Iroshizuku inks aren't the most vibrant colours although as a daily blue that's vibrant enough to be exciting but not overly flashy, Asa-gao is probably my favourite ink of all.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, graf von faber-castell, ink, comparison

Sponsored Content

|