Pilot Justus 95 Or Lamy Dialog 3

proton007

I've researched both. Read reviews. I like both. It's becoming a nightmare deciding between the two. :gaah:

Any significant design issues with either of them?

I may not have to strike either of them off my list, but any good reason I should?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• Icywolfe

• Exlaminis

• hessi

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, I don't really get the reasoning behind your dilemma between these two - they're not really comparable, are they?

On the one hand, we have a japanese pen with adjustable nib, semi-flex at best. I wrote with it once, the mechanism is a nice gadget, but the line variation I could achieve (and I have to say my flex capabilities are bad, bad, bad) was very low, so usefulness: so-so.

On the other hand, the Dialog 3, a big, heavy pen with the vanishing (no pun intended) nib. It's a nice pen, but I personally find a little bit too heavy, so I'm not using it too often. Some people say the nib vanishing mechanism tends to fail from time to time, which I haven't seen with mine yet, but I only got it a few weeks now and haven't used it often enough to really have an opinion on it.

So, in comparison, both from my own opinion and reviews I've read so far:

Justus: Solid pen, "flex" mechanism not too useful, because the amount of adjustable flex is just too small.

Dialog 3: Design icon, good nib, some people have issues with the mechanism.

The answer is obvious: Get both.

I'm wondering how much of a heavy hand most of the people have here when using the J95. I find the J95 on the hard setting it's a nail. And you can technically flex nails too, but for some reason on mine I get a EF line on the HARD setting. While I get a F line on the Soft setting. And when I use mine I need to push down really hard to flex on the Hard setting. The Hard and Soft setting is not increasing the flex widths. But they make the nib either a nail or a Soft nib. Soft setting seem to be a little wetter also.

As I am a Pilot Fan. I will say go for the Justus95. I carry my Justus95 everyday and some how it replaced my VP in the job of "General Purpose Pen" my Justus95 apparently seem to be the "Jack of all trades, but master of none." Want to add a a little flair change it to soft. Writing on glorified toilet paper, use the Hard setting.

Bonus part of the J95 is that it can use the Con70. This hold almost 2x more than the other converters on the market. It's easy to refill too.

-------------

As I'm sort of Anti Lamy due to buying a Alstar and replacement nibs and none of the nibs even worked. I will say this. From my research, before disliking Lamy, I found out the Nib will will dry even though the ball sealed up. So if you want a click FP go for the Pilot VP.

#Nope

The Justus 95 is a strange pen with a not-so-useful gimmick and is rather overpriced as it is. The pen doesn't seem to have much line variation unless modified so there probably wouldn't be a noticeable difference in how the ink looks on the page regardless of the setting on the pen. It's an interesting concept, but not done well. Perhaps a pen for each purpose; one for flex and one for the nail is a better choice? It does have the compatibility with the CON-70 though, so the ink capacity should be quite nice. Even then, greater ink capacity doesn't justify a drastically higher price tag.

I don't know much about the Lamy, but the price doesn't seem comparable to the Pilot.

I haven't used the Lamy, but I have experience with the Justus 95. Its mechanism isn't useful if you're looking for true flex, but the nib is soft enough to allow for playful line variation. On the soft setting, I get very very very subtle line variation but nothing seriously noticeable. The main difference I see between the soft and hard settings is the ink flow. The hard setting gives a drier flow while the soft setting gives a wetter flow.

My recommendation is get the Justus if you try it out and really like it. Otherwise, there are much better choices for pens in the $200 to $300 range that offer all kinds of nibs and filling mechanisms.

The Justus 95 has an image problem. Many people approach it as a variable flex pen, which it is not and it is not marketed as such. Even when I dip tested it in the store, I was not impressed, because there are only certain information that can be gleaned from dip testing - ergonomics, smoothness and flexibility. If your main concern is flexibility, Justus 95 cannot compare with vintage flex. At that price point, many other pens are comparable in terms of ergonomics and smoothness. So why should I buy the Justus 95?

I began to appreciate it after I used it daily to write tons and tons of stuff. It is a great every day carry pen, rather than a pen for copperplate calligraphy. It is of good size (bigger capped than Pelikan M800), and good balance, so I do not fatigue after long writing sessions. Its nib is smooth and its feed is superb - no hard starting, skipping or ink starvation. Its con-70 converter has great ink capacity. What makes it special is the nice springiness of the nib, and like the suspension of the car, you appreciate it only after writing or driving long distances. In pictures, it look any any other black plastic pen, but it actually feels a bit more premium. How about the much vaulted adjustable nib? Granted that it's a bit gimmicky, but it helps to adjust the road or rather paper feel of the paper when I am writing on different types of paper that I encounter during work, none of which are sourced from Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

In summary, if I wanted flex, I'll use a vintage gold nib, which I can't use for daily writing. If I want a great EDC pen, the Justus 95 ranks among the top. As for the price, the Japanese resellers make it more palatable.

As for the Lamy, I have the Lamy 2000, which is also a great EDC pen. I don't use the Dialog 3 just as I don't use the Vanishing Point, the clip gets in the way of my fingers as I do not use the traditional tripod grip.

I'll disagree with others about the Justus 95, I love mine, it's every thing I want in a pen. It beats the stuffing out of the Falcon. I don't care for the feel or look of the Dialog myself, if I want to spend that kind of money on a Lamy it would be the stainless steel version of the Lamy 2000 (which I have). PS: the Justus can be had at a very good price by buying directly from Japan.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Ritchie. Mac. I think that line of pens are very springy and a delight to use if you understand, as you said, their specs. They are NOT flexible nibs, but can accomplish a certain amount of line variation that adds a beautiful look to our writing - with time and use. . For a lot less you can have a Custom 912 or Falcom SF (M) . Neither one was as springy as i hoped for when i received them - and i complained here - but have come a long way after using them for a while. I love the springiness and somewhat line variation of my Custom 912 and Falcon. They have improved with use, but no abuse. I have always treated them carefully , not exerting excessive pressure on the nibs, and i think the trick is in usage. They are a delight to use. I would buy a Justus anytime if i had the extra, unallocated money for it, but i am enjoying my actual Pilots so much, i don't need another addition. Thanks for the update, I agree with you because of my experience with the other Pilots. Sounds true to me by my experience.

Edited by Oldtimer