Experimenting With Gold (Powder)

TheRealScubaSteve

Has anyone tried this with a Pilot Varsity? Is the Varsity feed different enough that the Luster Dust particles wouldn't pass through?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• klundtasaur

I doubt a Varsity would work as the feed is a wick.

Should be no need for phenol since modern inks presumably already have additives to prevent mold growth.

Moden inks do have biocides, but you are introducing a new component. I look forward to seeing if you have any mold growth.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BTW, in the next day or two, this thread will be moved to the Hard Hat forum.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Let's hope the Hard Hat forum becomes visible before that - now it just seems as if all those threads have disappeared. Very distressing!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

It's there now, just below Inky Recipes.

If there are no biocides in modern ink, why do they not grow mold?

Yesterday I mixed bronze eye shadow powder into Noodler's GI Green, but unlike my MIA metallic pigment powders, an added element in the shadow powder seems to repel ink.

Nevertheless I loaded some into a no-name cart-filling pen and made some lines. The gold element does seem to be there, but you can see gritty flecks clinging to the walls of the cart.

This is the reason to have junk pens.

I don't know how I'll manage taking pics. All I have is this device with no close-up capability.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I had not considered playing with eye shadow. Perhaps it is because I don't have any! :P Does it smudge? I imagine it would.

Yesterday I mixed bronze eye shadow powder into Noodler's GI Green, but unlike my MIA metallic pigment powders, an added element in the shadow powder seems to repel ink.

Nevertheless I loaded some into a no-name cart-filling pen and made some lines. The gold element does seem to be there, but you can see gritty flecks clinging to the walls of the cart.

I don't know how I'll manage taking pics. All I have is this device with no close-up capability.

I have had success holding a magnifying lens, eye loupe, etc. in front of my digital cameras to get extra closeup photos. Here is one I shot of a pen's nib I was selling on eBay. You have to be steady, helps to have the camera on a tripod so your are hands free. Using the self timer feature might help if you don't change position before the shutter closes. The lens has to be held with its axis parallel with the camera lens' axis. This was shot with an older Fuji pocket camera with 3x optical zoom and a hand held lens in front of the camera (on a tripod over a sheet of velum with an LED light underneath).

post-106621-0-82708400-1417731824_thumb.jpg

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Is it a pressed powder? If so, it has coconut oil or other oil in it to make it stay compressed.

Modern cosmetics have biocides.

Also expensive eyeshadows have crushed pearl or mother of pearl - or so I've been told by the nice people trying to convince me to buy.

Is it a pressed powder? If so, it has coconut oil or other oil in it to make it stay compressed.

No, loose, which was why I grabbed it. I also have shimmery watercolor cakes, but those are compressed. Though they might get recruited for yet another 'speriment.

Maybe if I can find a lens I can try those other tips.

I tried the Wilton Shimmer Dust that I bought from my local Michaels.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BA17880D-802D-F658-09B3D5CAB5B536C6

It works great so far.

If any issues such as clogging/mold growth props up I'll report back.

I bought the Silver and Gold to start off.

If it works out I may go out and buy the Blue.

KG

I just sent a little vial off to Sinistral1, I hope she does some testing.

The pressure is on now. This is getting tested in one of my Noodlers Ahabs, for sure!

Have you tried it yet, Amber?

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Nope, I just enabled.

I tried the magnifying glass trick on my device, and it did work, but the photos do not show the bronze sparkle, though it's visible to the naked eye at an angle. I think I may not have added enough powder, or the grains may not be finely milled enough.

I fear I ditched my artist-grade metallic pigment powders, and I had a FULL range, gold, silver, copper, purple, bronze. I may buy one or two individual jars or go all-out on a new set. The bee's in my bonnet now. Stay tuned.

I tried the magnifying glass trick on my device, and it did work, but the photos do not show the bronze sparkle, though it's visible to the naked eye at an angle. I think I may not have added enough powder, or the grains may not be finely milled enough.

I fear I ditched my artist-grade metallic pigment powders, and I had a FULL range, gold, silver, copper, purple, bronze. I may buy one or two individual jars or go all-out on a new set. The bee's in my bonnet now. Stay tuned.

I was afraid of that. Getting the right light angle while holding a lens aligned in front of the camera lens all at the same time would be tricky. I can easily see the gold shimmer in J. Herbin Rouge Hematite through my Goulet LED eye loupe, but that is because of the angle of the LEDs in it. The photo I showed in the previous post is pretty simple, just a silhouette, so the angle of light is not as complex. If I had something like the Goulet Loupe that had a high quality lens, that would be the best thing. But something like that probably costs $$$.

I know it can be done, there are good photos on Goulet Pens site of the shimmer in the J. Herbin Stormy Gray and the Rouge Hematite writings.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation