Experimenting With Gold (Powder)

TheRealScubaSteve

No, seriously. Hot damn that is a beautiful ink. Nice work, ScubaSteve. I want that turquoise. Any chance you have a comparison next to some Noodler's American Turq. Eel? (That's my current fav. cerulean).

Nope, don't have any Noodler's turquoise I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• klundtasaur

The new pens have arrived, are washed and loaded with Luster dusted inks. Ink is glittering like crazy. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been another one who has been reading this thread and finally took the plunge to try my own sparkly mixture.

Here are the results:

0d59fc2926cd813fd4877799212db573.jpg

f8be00dfebb21ce9ce09c28eff8ddf9a.jpg

Here is what I used:

Luster Dust: Pink-Gold from Hobby Lobby

Ink: Black Swan in Australian Roses #3

Pen: Jinhao X450

Nib: Goulet 1.1 Stub

Paper: Cream Tomoe River

This is my first attempt so I am still figuring out how much dust to use. I think this dust might be just a bit too large, I am not sure as I have no other brand to compare it with. I will probably get some other brands that were previously mentioned in this thread to work well (like the Luster Dust Brand and Ck Dust, etc.)

All this experimenting with sparkles is loads of fun! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bunch of the interference pigments from TKB, that I got for nail polish a million years ago, and they work REALLY REALLY WELL in all of the inks I've tried. The only difference I've seen in their performance and that of luster dust is that the luster dust appears to have some sort of binder in it, and the tkb pigments of course do not, so when the page dries I get little bits of shimmer going all over everywhere.

I'm kinda wanting to try picking up some liquid gum arabic, and putting like ONE drop of that in the vial with the pigments, and see what kind of a difference that makes.

Be careful - gum Arabic doesn't care what it causes to become adhered to each other...

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I've got a bunch of the interference pigments from TKB, that I got for nail polish a million years ago, and they work REALLY REALLY WELL in all of the inks I've tried. The only difference I've seen in their performance and that of luster dust is that the luster dust appears to have some sort of binder in it, and the tkb pigments of course do not, so when the page dries I get little bits of shimmer going all over everywhere.

I'm kinda wanting to try picking up some liquid gum arabic, and putting like ONE drop of that in the vial with the pigments, and see what kind of a difference that makes.

Try xanthan (tiny amount goes a long way) instead of gum arabic. Won't permanently glug up a pen in my experience. I've currently got it in a vintage waterman. Xanthan rinses out with water. There's a thread on it someplace with exact ratios if you're particular. If the ink already has some sort of biocide in it like many inks, it'll be fine.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• 2 months later...

Posting for anyone else trying this, a regular blender works just fine to make the xanthan mix (it cleans up nicely afterward too).

As for biocides in the xanthan mix I just used phenol, it isn't any more lethal than bleach or ammonia, it's just a household chemical that needs to be managed. Don't let babies or pets near it, don't leave the bottle open or drink it, open a window or run the oven vent if you have reptiles (and I think cats? but definitely reptiles).

I use the mix from Natural Pigments ( http://www.naturalpi...com/phenol.html, http://www.artistsup...tural-pigments/ looks like the same thing ) and just stirred a few drops into the bottle of the xanthan mix.

Edited by WirsPlm

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread to show some experiments I've been doing. The Purple is a mix of Herbin 1670 RH and some blue, I forget what, plus a few drops of MB Lavender Purple + red/purple/pink lustre dust.

The blue is a mix of PPS and silver + light blue lustre dust.

post-17276-0-26738500-1444771073_thumb.jpg

post-17276-0-31655900-1444771074_thumb.jpg

post-17276-0-11452900-1444771075_thumb.jpg

post-17276-0-07785800-1444771091_thumb.jpg

post-17276-0-94781800-1444771092_thumb.jpg

post-17276-0-91661600-1444771121_thumb.jpg

SM, that's cruel and unusual punishment showing us that unobtainium! It's beautiful. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ah, but what proportion dust to ink??

I've been trying this and end up either with clogged up pens or with ink where almost no glitter comes out...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

That much? and the channels in the pen don't clog up?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

That much? and the channels in the pen don't clog up?

I've actually found that i can do up to 1 scoop/ml and still get decent flow. Optimal for me (in a Lamy vista, jinhao, or Ahab feed) is about 1 scoop/2ml. Lots of glitter, but doesn't clog too much. If you let it sit uncapped for too long, you'll probably have to prime the feed a bit, but I've left my Lamy capped with that 1:2 ratio in it for weeks and still had it write pretty well.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking back at this from a year later, it almost looks like you created "Emerald of Chivore" before J. Herbin

• 1 month later...

Argh. Every glitter mix I've done lately turns into bubble foam, any ideas on how to decrease the number of bubbles or why this keeps happening (maybe I'm putting in too much xanthan concentrate)?