Experimenting With Gold (Powder)

TheRealScubaSteve

Anyway, it was a neat idea, MizBlackCrow, but doesn't pan out too well in person. I can't really think of when this would be useful.

Ah, but I'm guessing you don't have six year old nieces n nephews. I can see some pretty cool combos of dark colour CK lusters in Blue Ghost on birthday cards accompanied by a $1 UV light making their way through the mail. probably with a vial enclosed.

Thanks for doing the experiment and for the pics.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• klundtasaur

So, fair warning: this looks much, much cooler in the vial or in the feed than it does on paper.

1ml Noodler's Blue Ghost + a Dash of silver mica: NOODLER'S QUICKSILVER

Here's a :04 video of it in the vial:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HTG1mHDp0pU

That video is easily the coolest part of this combo, I'm afraid.

Blue Ghost dries absolutely clear, so most of the novelty is the surprise when you hit it with UV light. It looks like there's nothing there, and then *BAM* all of a sudden THERE'S WRITING!

Adding the mica totally removes that novelty. It's just sorta hard to read, and then when you hit it with the black light, the glow outshines any evidence of the mica in the first place.

Sorta hard to see...like there's too much glare...

BAM! There's writing, but no mica...

No sparkle to speak of.

Outside, angled

Outside, off angle

Inside

Anyway, it was a neat idea, MizBlackCrow, but doesn't pan out too well in person. I can't really think of when this would be useful.

I never let a grown up version of useful interfere with enjoyment of ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BTW, wouldn't it maybe be easier to just use some super slow dry ink (PR Sherwood Green) and embossing powder?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BTW, wouldn't it maybe be easier to just use some super slow dry ink (PR Sherwood Green) and embossing powder?

Well, i guess if carrying around some embossing powder and cleaning up after dusting it is considered easier... :D

Also, as an aside: I still haven't had any clogging problems with my Jinhao x450; it's had that Napalm+mica mix in it for almost 3 weeks, with 2 fills. It will sometimes hard start after it's been nib-up in my bag over the weekend, but priming it once on monday morning will keep it writing for days.

Easier is a matter of perpective. :)

Inspired by my previous semi-success, I added a double load of silver LD to the original sparkle-free JH 1670 Bleu Ocean and loaded it into an Estie J (blue, of course) with a stub nib. It looked beautiful for the 5 lines it wrote. A double load is a load too much; beside clogging the nib, about a third of it brushed off after the ink was dry. Sometimes less is more.

post-115055-0-15318100-1425574082.jpg

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Thanks! I'm contemplating running the LD through a spice grinder or going after them with a mortar and pestle to see if I can make the sparkly bits smaller . . .

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

An update from a Youtuber called the Frugal Crafter: she was concocting some shimmer sprays for scrapbooking and mentioned Pearl-X copper as clogging the spray head.

This is what I used for my Preppy mix.

She also displayed a bottle of pearlized eyeshadow from Dollar Tree and said the pigment was much finer.

Well, well!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice? The window between "not enough to see" and "too much will clog the pen" seems to be almost impossibly narrow. I'm using a Pilot Plumix because the feed can be easily removed for cleaning. My ink is P. R. Black Magic Blue. My glitter is Pharaoh's Gold Lustre Dust.

The pen must be shaken after each few words (about twice per line of writing.) I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. At the perfect concentration, I see nice glitters in sunlight, but that state is hard to find.

Thanks for your help.

Any advice? The window between "not enough to see" and "too much will clog the pen" seems to be almost impossibly narrow. I'm using a Pilot Plumix because the feed can be easily removed for cleaning. My ink is P. R. Black Magic Blue. My glitter is Pharaoh's Gold Lustre Dust.

The pen must be shaken after each few words (about twice per line of writing.) I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. At the perfect concentration, I see nice glitters in sunlight, but that state is hard to find.

Thanks for your help.

Does it need to be shaken to start flow or just to redistribute the gold? The Plumix is extremely dry and I suspect that is one of your issues.

Do you get the desired glitter if you write with more pressure?

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

I finally had to clean out the Preppy and may have ruined it (not sure how to disassemble). I did much better with the eyeshadow powders....steer clear of copper Pearl-X!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Bummer about the preppy. Good to know about the copper.

Does it need to be shaken to start flow or just to redistribute the gold? The Plumix is extremely dry and I suspect that is one of your issues.

Do you get the desired glitter if you write with more pressure?

I must shake the pen after each 4 or 5 words to keep the flow going - and even so, it eventually plugs. I see gold settling near the fang area and that doesn't move easily with that routine shaking.

Pressing harder doesn't seem to make any difference, but wiping the nib leaves a line of gold in the blue on the tissue.

I'll order the Jinhao 599 and see if that works any better. Thank you for your suggestions.

Love the orange n gold and the turquoise. It's fabulous when an artistic ink splatter looks even more spectacular. I've admired all the Dragon Toots samples I've seen while lurking around. There's something quite special about them.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

The gold and orange did come out nice, but it's got a bit too much luster, I think. Dragon Toots are indeed very special. It became an all-time favorite ink the first time I used it diluted.

WOW, that looks amazing.

WOW, that looks amazing.

No, seriously. Hot damn that is a beautiful ink. Nice work, ScubaSteve. I want that turquoise. Any chance you have a comparison next to some Noodler's American Turq. Eel? (That's my current fav. cerulean).