The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Experimenting With Gold (Powder)

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:42

I received a letter that was partially written in the ever-popular Stormy Grey. I loved the gold sheen it had, but it is out of stock and my favorite color just so happens to be blue anyway. Here's what I came up with after adding "dashes," "pinches," and "smidgens" of gold powder until satisfied.

IMG_20141106_000942.jpg

IMG_20141106_000951.jpg

I think that I may have gone a bit heavy on the powder, but pictures do not truly represent the look of ink on paper, as I'm sure most of us already know. Looking straight on, the ink looks like an average ink. Only when it is tilted slightly towards a source of light does it begin to show all its glory.

Here's a failed picture showing sheen - this is what the ink looks like without the sheen.

IMG_20141106_001001.jpg

And with sheen:

IMG_20141106_001034.jpgIMG_20141106_001051.jpgIMG_20141106_001144.jpg

So far, I really have not had any issues. The pen was skippy and very dry when playing with the ink earlier today. I pulled the nib and feed to inspect them with a loupe, but could see no clogs. I flossed the nib and re-assembled everything, which seemed to solve the problem. 

The C/C was very low on ink, though, so I will have to play around with it some more to figure out whether or not it was truly clogged or just running on "fumes."

Love it, hate it, or something in between - let me know what you think.

Sponsored Content

#2 laoriginaltec

laoriginaltec

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:33

It looks amazing. I have been thinking about doing the same thing with green ink. Please keep us updated on how the gold affects the pen. 

#3 volkswagenfox21

volkswagenfox21

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 22:00

I personally think it's a cool idea, and it certainly looks good from the photos.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2014 - 23:25

Interesting.  Where did you get the powder, and is it real gold (i.e., 10 or 14K, or something as high as 24K?).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:06

Interesting.  Where did you get the powder, and is it real gold (i.e., 10 or 14K, or something as high as 24K?).

I don't know what it is - at this price it is certainly not real gold. It seemed to be the smallest particles pictured on the cheap. So far it is worked pretty well and by eyeball looks to be about the same particle size as used in J. Herbin Stormy Grey. I also picked up some gum arabic, but have not felt the need to add any as it stays on the paper when rubbed. The only time I've seen any smearing is with a dried ink drop, which had a big pile of the powder.

*Edit: A list of 25 different colors (several colors of gold) were included with the package. It might be interesting to use different powders for different ink colors.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve, 07 November 2014 - 02:22.

#6 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:20

Here's a shot of a finger swab from a (mostly) clean syringe. To the right you can see very fine particles - that's the powder size. I've heavily adjusted the contrast/saturation/brightness in the photo so that it can be better seen.

IMG_20141106_210845.jpg

Here's my a photo of powder on my "measuring device."

IMG_20141106_211451.jpg

The gold powder very quickly settles, both in the bottle and in the pen. I give it a few careful shakes in the pen to stir it up when writing with it for more than a couple lines or after it has sat unused for more than a few minutes. A ball or spring in the C/C helps, but would not be completely necessary because ink provides enough lubrication that the powder will fall to the bottom without much liquid at all.

IMG_20141106_211616.jpg

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:41

Ohhh.  Luster Dust?  I've used that in cake decorating and making edible sugar sculptures.  Particularly like the Silver and the Aztec (?) Gold but have also used the Peacock Blue.  Not sure I would have put that into a pen, myself....  I've always used it with liquid and then painted it on the surface with a small craft brush or watercolor brush dedicated to using with food stuff.

Oh, and if you're buying it, get the CK brand stuff if you can find it -- I hate the stuff Wilton's makes, because it does *not* behave the same when mixed with clear alcohol or rosewater to paint onto sugarplate or gum paste.

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth, 07 November 2014 - 03:43.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:54

Why would you not have put it into a pen - what is it, anyway? My only concern was that it was sugar and I'd find Night Sapphire Karos syrup in the feed.  :sick: It does say non-toxic, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat it. Then again, I don't see the appeal of edible gold, either.

#9 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 14:08

What is this powder and where does one find it, if not in the USA? It seems interesting enough to me to try but I have no idea what this powder is and how to get it...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 14:40

What is this powder and where does one find it, if not in the USA? It seems interesting enough to me to try but I have no idea what this powder is and how to get it...

Look at stores that sell cake decorating supplies.  That's where i've found it.

#11 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2014 - 17:39

Probably a craft store.

#12 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:18

Hmm... it seems to me we now have 4 different similar approaches to this:

Is the amazon link the stuff you used?  I am a little tempted to try this.  Of course then I would feel the need to get a sample of J. Herbin ink to compare to and this could easily snowball...

Edited by vossad01, 08 November 2014 - 06:18.

#13 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:22

Hmm... it seems to me we now have 4 different similar approaches to this:

Is the amazon link the stuff you used?  I am a little tempted to try this.  Of course then I would feel the need to get a sample of J. Herbin ink to compare to and this could easily snowball...

Yes, that's what I used.

Perhaps later this week I'll store the pen nib down and see what happens. It tends to dry out easily so it should be a good test to see whether a flushing can clear the feed.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve, 08 November 2014 - 06:23.

#14 NightShadeQueen

NightShadeQueen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:04

I suspect this stuff: http://www.joann.com...b_desc=11449873 would also work - I do know people will suspend it in water and use it with spray bottles long-term without problem.

#15 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:53

I'll see what I can find locally. Thanks for the explanations!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#16 PersianPenName

PersianPenName

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 21:24

Okay, I have a whole slew of powdered pigments I got for nail polish back in the day - I wonder if some of them would work with ink? I have a little tiny thing of Spectraflair holographic powder, and now I really want to try it out with some Noodler's Black.

#17 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:18

The pictures of it makes it look pretty thin to me. I'd go for it, just be sure to use a dip pen or be ready to gunk up an inexpensive pen!

#18 PersianPenName

PersianPenName

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:24

I have some extra preppies at home I can play with, and a whole list now of the pigments I want to try out :3 I'm going to go with my basic interference colors (colored mica, essentially), some color-shifting mica, and then see if the one I have that I never got to work in polish - one that's just bronze powder and silica - will work in this! If it does, man, I'm gonna have ALL the sparkles!

#19 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:52

You could try some nail polish and some mica in a Noodler's brush pen . . . OK, maybe that's not a good idea.

#20 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:58

Whatever you try - remember, easy to clean and inexpensive pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Sponsored Content

|