Box Of Ink From Japan

Lou Erickson

Lou, what a brillantly executed strategem! Just one of those would make my day. :wub: That many would last me a lifetime (particularly since I will be 68 in Janaury). What are your top three favorite colors?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou Erickson

• Helen350

• Oranges and Apples

• stevesurf

Lou

How very cool.

N-Joy the inks.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Helen,

You've got a couple of decades on me, but there may be enough there to last me a lifetime, too. :)

I haven't tried them all yet. I have tried:

• Kon-peki: A light blue, almost turquoise. Very pretty, but I find it a little lighter than I like to be readable in large blocks.
  • Asa-gao: A medium blue. Very much the color of the morning glory flower it is named after. Almost the traditional "ballpoint pen" color. Very readable ink, very well behaved. If I had to pick one ink to use forever this would be on the short list, if not the one I chose.
  • Momiji: A pinky red, and very usable. Not the RED RED RED some people want.
  • Tsuki-yo: A dark blue/green color. Nice shading, has some sheen if you get a wet enough pen - most of mine aren't. Lots of people like it very much, and I can see why. A nice ink.
  • Yu-yake: A light, clear orange. Nice in a wide or wet nib. Loaded into a fine P51 is not as impressive.

All of them have been well behaved inks, and I would not hesitate to suggest them to anyone.

Come back in a couple of years and ask me again, or follow the posts in this thread where I (and hopefully others) are reviewing them each month. (There's links to each month's color as they come out, they're not all in one big thread.)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Some of you may have seen the Iroshizuku Co-Razy Group Review. To keep on top of this, I knew I needed all the inks. The whole monthly format was, in fact, to make buying all the inks possible, as I can afford one a month...

Well... I figured out they'd cost half if I bought them all at once.

They arrived today:

15087138823_b4fd22c6ea.jpg

Yay!

Now I'm ready for the next two years! :)

(Half-price Iroshizuku: Order from http://www.engeika.com/ and order over $200 to get free shipping. It's about 15 bottles. They're $13.50 a bottle instead of $25-28. It'll take just under a month to arrive.)

... I might have enough ink now.

It's a "Wall of Iroshizuku!" Enjoy and write in the best of health, Lou.

It would also be interesting if you posted a little history behind each color as they all have significance in Japan. If you're interested, I'll post a couple; I have had the benefit of some wonderful stories told to me by one mentor in my visits to Japan :)

Ajisai ~

Ajisai or Hydrangea blooms during the tough rainy season (high humidity+temps) and sometimes is referred as the the Summer flower, representing multiple colors. Hydrangea trees were brought to European countries in the 18th century and they were bred with other flowering trees. The wide variety of European Hydrangeas were then reimported back to Japan, creating an even wider spectrum.

Syo-Ro and Tsuyu-kusa ~
Both refer to dew, one on pine trees and one in the morning; both colors embrace the concept of mujô or one concept of enjoying the beauty of the moment, for it will be evolving and changing into other colors.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Wow, Steve, Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, Steve, Thank you.

My pleasure; Iro ink is almost as good as Japanese Lasagne :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

What cool meanings! I am not surprised by them in the slightest, and think they're fascinating to know. I have no idea where I would go to find more of them, though.

Thank you for sharing them with us!

--

Helen,

You've got a couple of decades on me, but there may be enough there to last me a lifetime, too. :)

I haven't tried them all yet. I have tried:

• Kon-peki: A light blue, almost turquoise. Very pretty, but I find it a little lighter than I like to be readable in large blocks.
  • Asa-gao: A medium blue. Very much the color of the morning glory flower it is named after. Almost the traditional "ballpoint pen" color. Very readable ink, very well behaved. If I had to pick one ink to use forever this would be on the short list, if not the one I chose.
  • Momiji: A pinky red, and very usable. Not the RED RED RED some people want.
  • Tsuki-yo: A dark blue/green color. Nice shading, has some sheen if you get a wet enough pen - most of mine aren't. Lots of people like it very much, and I can see why. A nice ink.
  • Yu-yake: A light, clear orange. Nice in a wide or wet nib. Loaded into a fine P51 is not as impressive.

All of them have been well behaved inks, and I would not hesitate to suggest them to anyone.

Come back in a couple of years and ask me again, or follow the posts in this thread where I (and hopefully others) are reviewing them each month. (There's links to each month's color as they come out, they're not all in one big thread.)

Will definitely track that thread to see those beautiful colors. Thanks Lou

An unboxed heaven. recently ordered my first Iroshizuku: Yama-Budo. And definitely will Ku-Jaku, but with the rest of it, its questionable.

Enjoy your new inks!

:yikes: :yikes: ok, now i'm really jealous. with such collection, you pretty much set. no need for getting more. not even other brands.

-rudy-

Hi Lou: Just wanted to know if you are thoroughly enjoying those Iroshizukus????? I think about them from time to time. LOL

Hi Lou: Just wanted to know if you are thoroughly enjoying those Iroshizukus????? I think about them from time to time. LOL

So far, yes. I need to open a new one and get the next month's Iro group review up. I'm behind on that.

I have discovered that I'm slow to consider an ink. I need to see it in several pens, on several papers before I feel like I know it. A sample isn't quite enough.

I've spent a lot of time with Tsuki-yo and Yu-yake now, and they're both nice. The CRVs folks did are very enlightening. Many of the samples of Yu-yake are hard to tell apart from Noodler's Apache Sunset, for instance.

--

So far, yes. I need to open a new one and get the next month's Iro group review up. I'm behind on that.

I have discovered that I'm slow to consider an ink. I need to see it in several pens, on several papers before I feel like I know it. A sample isn't quite enough.

I've spent a lot of time with Tsuki-yo and Yu-yake now, and they're both nice. The CRVs folks did are very enlightening. Many of the samples of Yu-yake are hard to tell apart from Noodler's Apache Sunset, for instance.

Thanks. I've not tried the Apache Sunset, though I have heard good things about it. I find myself drawn to the varied shades of blues & blue/blacks, erinite, emerald, and Chesterfield's antique crimson & siam. In the past couple of weeks having fun with Chesterfield xircon. Trying to settle what my one bottle of Iro will be?

:yikes: :yikes: ok, now i'm really jealous. with such collection, you pretty much set. no need for getting more. not even other brands.

Oh, that it were that simple! :P