Mabie Todd Fans - A Pif For You.

Amberjack

Okay, this is a Pay it Forward...and I did post it there. Posting here for a wider audience.

I have recently come into possession of the authoritative work on the Mabie-Todd firm Mabie in America, 3rd Edition by David L. Mouk. This book is out of print so I'd like this to go to someone who'd truly enjoy it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Jack_Breeding/mabie_zps92568732.jpg

It's exactly the sort of book that I love, richly illustrated, well researched and authoritative. Alas, but my shelves have only so much room but I am merely a writer and not a collector.

Write me or post here and let me know if this book would fill a niche in your library or a similar tale of need. I'll choose the recipient before US Thanksgiving and send it along US Mail to anyone, anywhere at my expense.

AJ

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• Amberjack

• Daddy-O

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I have a Mabie Todd - for my sins - a blackbird. We fight from time to time. What can I say?

Anywho, I love my little blackbird really, but I wouldn't say I am the world's greatest MT fan (better cash flow may change that one day though).

I'll throw my hat in the ring, however, if anyone in the US wants it then please remove my name from said ring (as I am overseas*).

*you didn't say if it was US only or not, and shipping a book could be expensive. I will not be at all offended if it is CONUS only. Thank you for the offer all the same!

Anyone, anywhere my friend. You are in the running.

Definitely of interest,however I have not PIF back from the last PIF I participated in due to being in my final year at University.

I do not feel it would be right to be included but any who.

Mabie todds are the most common antique store pens that you can find in NZ with 14kt nibs. They also seem to be the ones beaten up the most (my current 2 have been melted in a house fire and had someone try to pull it open, rather than twist)

I am eyeing one that has a cracked body and a shoddy nib as a challenge for restoration and ill be doing one last round of the antique stores before I move back home from study so ill be on the look out for some challenging restorations :) .

If you are in NZ, Mabie todds seem popular in allot of the south island antique stores, parkers seem to be the most popular in the north island.

Really? I have not seen a single fountain pen of any description in any 2nd hand store here in Dunners. Although, someone put me in contact with a local auction house where at the last sale a good condition duofold set went for NZ$60 and a Parker 51 set, also in good condition, went for $50. I called the auctioneers to ask you see. Anyway, they will let me know if anything else shows up. Not going to trawl the shops again.

Hmm could be that they get cleared out by a local buyer, I get a call if a certain antique store here gets in bulk amounts of fountain pens. They also might just chuck them out, an antique store owner laughed at me when I asked if they had any fountain pens and said they throw them in the bin if they get any o_o. Granted they only seemed to have china and pottery.

Even though I'm a relative newcomer I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well. I can thank (or perhaps blame is the better word) Mabie Todd for my newfound FP obsession after picking up an excellent Blue Snakeskin 205-86 for one dollar at a garage sale. I love both the feel and the look of this pen but the fine point doesn't really suit me.

Prior to that, fountain pens were just a part of my distant childhood. That first taste was almost free but I dare not count the pens that I have after only a few months and I certainly won't total up the dollars. One is too many and a hundred not enough.....

The best things in life may be free but I have found that the second best things are really expensive (especially when you factor in EBay International postage).

I assume Australia is included in 'anywhere' although sometimes I wonder.

Well I am new around here, but what a wonderful PIF!

I have about ten Mabie Todd Swans I think - including a gold filled US one and a couple of early English ones with American nibs; also three quite rare leverless models; I have also rebuilt two Visofils.

My avatar should demonstrate my commitment!

In the event of my winning, I would of course bear the cost of the postage.

Best wishes

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Pass It Forward.

Give it to some one, who will give something else to some one else....need not be the same nor the same value to you, but should have a value to whom you give it too.

Got something...nice, you don't need with pens, papers or inks or books....some one would love it.

Can repay later, some day.

Some one gave me the Fountain Pen repair book by Frank Dubel. Eventually, I gave a couple of folks things.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

And this PIF is now closed.

After tallying up the total entries (10) and then consulting Random.org it appears that Cob is the winner.

Congrats!

Cob, Please send me a PM and we'll arrange logistics to get this book to you.

Thanks all for your entries.

AJ

Blush! I'm delighted.

Will pm later today - impossible on this damned phone - cannot see what I'm writing and cannot send message when I have written it!

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Well done, Cob. See how the universe can provide?

Yes indeed. I am really looking forward to the prize!

Cob

I think Cob deserves it. He's a new member, but already has entertained me with interesting pens, and witty comments.

About the book:

Would it be an idea to scan it, and make it digitally available? Depends of course on how old it is for copyright reasons.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think Cob deserves it. He's a new member, but already has entertained me with interesting pens, and witty comments.

About the book:

Would it be an idea to scan it, and make it digitally available? Depends of course on how old it is for copyright reasons.

D.ick

A nice idea, but I fear that you would, as you suggest, be hamstrung by copyright issues.

Cob

Congrats Cob, I still look at your listings from time to time (the Blackbird is writing really nicely now with Salix loaded - I must have been ham-fisted before :) ).

Well that's good news I must say; I have had a few Blackbirds since, but I think that that one was really quite nice.

Best wishes

Cob

Is in this books something written about my pre-Swan? I cannot nowhere never find the book.

What is a "pre-Swan?" Can you be more specific - or provide a picture?

Cob

Well that is truly interesting - and as you may imagine, I cannot offer a scintilla of information to help you on your way!

If there is something about it in my prize I shall be happy to let you know.

Cob