The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cross Classic Century Fountain Pen Cleaning

cleaning repair fixing disassembly nib change cross classic century fountain

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:39

Well if you encounter the dreaded nib wobble, send it to Cross and they will replace it with a new Century II.  Not the same pen, but you won't have to throw it out.  Their life time warranty goes a long way.  

My first classic century was completely clogged with dried ink.  It was listed in ebay as new, but I think it sat in a drawer for a couple of decades with the original cartridge left in it with the ink turned to powder.  It took almost a week of soaking in an ammonia/water bath before I was able to unclog it. It is now a wet smooth writer.  I've had it for some 5 years so far and no nib wobble.

Edited by max dog, 02 July 2016 - 08:42.

Sponsored Content

#22 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:54

Well if you encounter the dreaded nib wobble, send it to Cross and they will replace it with a new Century II.  Not the same pen, but you won't have to throw it out.  Their life time warranty goes a long way.  

My first classic century was completely clogged with dried ink.  It was listed in ebay as new, but I think it sat in a drawer for a couple of decades with the original cartridge left in it with the ink turned to powder.  It took almost a week of soaking in an ammonia/water bath before I was able to unclog it. It is now a wet smooth writer.  I've had it for some 5 years so far and no nib wobble.

I wonder. If you send your 14k nib, gold filed, Century Classic, what would they send you back. ¿A Century II with gold nib or the steel one?

#23 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:19

They would send back a comparable one, ie 18k nib as they dont do 14k any more. Cross are very good with their warranty as I can vouch for based on my experience many times with them.

#24 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:22

Of course if you attempt to dis- assemble the nib that would void the warranty.

#25 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,627 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2016 - 17:40

The way I read the warranty with my 14K gold filled Century with 14K nib, the nib was not covered by the warranty, and it stated that explicitly.  Does Cross just cave in and warrant the nib anyway?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#26 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:26

Of course if you attempt to dis- assemble the nib that would void the warranty.

I didn't attempt to disassemble de nib, It just came loose. Every time I capped the pen, with each click It came a bit more out, sliding off the feeder.

Anyway It's working just fine right now. If it breaks I will contact Cross

#27 dadbar

dadbar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2016 - 15:57

To the original poster-

If you are using the Cross ink cartridges, then stop using them and try a different ink.

I have one of those Cross Century pens with similar flow problems which went away once I started using Montblanc inks.

#28 jwoods

jwoods

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 15:37

Sorry I don't know the correct terminology, but looking at your photo - how were you able to dismantle the part of the nib section which screws into the barrel? 

I have two of those pens and I'l trying to switch over the coloured metal bands :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cleaning, repair, fixing, disassembly, nib change, cross, classic, century, fountain

Sponsored Content

|