The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Display Case: Maestro Relojero

pen case maestro relojero display

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alex2014

Alex2014

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2014 - 20:00

I looked in the last weeks for a non-USA pen display cabinet, because the shipping cost to Europe and the EU taxes make too expensive to order it from USA. Geoff’s 5-drawer pen cases (pencase.co.uk) look great indeed, despite their prices increased with over 40 % in the last three years and the shipping cost (35 pounds, in my case). Finally, my option was a ready-made Spanish pen display case produced by Maestrorelojero Prasvalnet S.L. located in Ribarroja, near Valencia (no affiliation). I had seen their pen and watch display cabinets for collectors and sellers on many distributors’ sites from Italy, Spain and Portugal. The model I ordered directly from the manufacturer was a 78-pen case cherry. Here are my first impressions:

1. Packing.

The case came in just a few days wrapped in an air-bubble sheet and packed in a solid cardboard box, protected with EPS. A second box helps the first one not to suffer damages during the transport. 

IMG_2686.JPG  IMG_2691.JPG

2. Dimensions and weight

The case seems to me very compact: 37 cm (L) x 21,5 cm (H) x 20 cm (D). It has six drawers (with 11 pen slots each one) and a display compartment with an acrylic windows lid (12 slots). Therefore, the cabinet can lodge 78 pens, which is very competitive for its gauge. It weighs 4.7 kg.

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG  IMG_2702.JPG

3. Construction

I am not an expert in wooden works, but it seems the frames of the drawers are made from solid wood, while the drawer bottoms are made from plywood. The case is made from MDF with cherry (it's rather mahogany) veneer. The lid has two chromed hinges and it firmly closes due to a magnetic system.

All the compartments are covered with a fine gray velvet. I like this color as it is neutral and renders evident the fountain pens. The back of each drawer is covered with velvet too, so the pens are completely protected against scratches.

The dimension of a pen slot is 18 x 2,5 cm. This is very important for me because my ‘giants’ could they also fit in the slot (i.e. Denitrio Genkai or Varuna Gajendra, both of them being over 17 cm long –  but they can fit only into the display compartment). I introduced even a Mabie, Todd & Co FP in its original box.

IMG_2712.JPG

4. Conclusions

This is a nice compact cherry wooden display cabinet that can take almost all the fountain pens of my collection. I can place it easily in any space at hand in my study. The quality/price ratio is excellent and, last but not the least, the price paid included the free shipping in EU - in my case the parcel travelling across the whole Europe. A black color variant is also offered by the manufacturer.

Edited by Alex2014, 04 November 2014 - 10:11.

Sponsored Content

#2 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 20:05

Nice review, thanks! :)

#3 daintydimsum

daintydimsum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:58

Very nice! It makes me almost wish I have enough pens to warrant one :)

#4 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,908 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 21:16

Very nice! It makes me almost wish I have enough pens to warrant one :)

I hope you are working on that :). ;)

#5 daintydimsum

daintydimsum

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:05

I hope you are working on that :). ;)

I am, I am... :P maybe I should get a large case to uh "encourage" that process.

#6 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,908 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:04

I am, I am... :P maybe I should get a large case to uh "encourage" that process.

It certainly worked for me! :)

#7 CSG

CSG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 18:13

Wow!

#8 Art

Art

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2014 - 19:11

Beautiful pen case. And it appears that they'll ship for free to the US. Might make a nice self-Christmas gift. 

#9 Elperraco

Elperraco

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 14:33

Hi!

I am from Spain and I was looking for a "cheap" pen chest, I woul like to ask you if large pens fits on the trays, not only at the top.

Thanks, and congratulations for the chest a your pens!

#10 Alex2014

Alex2014

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2014 - 20:36

Hi!

I am from Spain and I was looking for a "cheap" pen chest, I woul like to ask you if large pens fits on the trays, not only at the top.

Thanks, and congratulations for the chest a your pens!

In the trays, the longest pen should be under 166 mm. On the top, under 180 mm. The biggest diameter should be 16 mm for the slots of the trays, and c. 20 mm (even more) in the top display.

#11 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 17:23

Very nice case and review, thank you. I'm curious-- what is that beautiful pen fourth from the left?

Edited by paloma32, 17 November 2014 - 17:23.

#12 Alex2014

Alex2014

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 17:50

Very nice case and review, thank you. I'm curious-- what is that beautiful pen fourth from the left?

It is a huge ebonite Varuna " Gajendra" with a #6 Jowo nib. It is hand-made  by M.S. Pandurangan, a FP maker from Chennai (India) and it works both as an eyedropper or with cartridge. You could see it better here on FPN. 

#13 Elperraco

Elperraco

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 18:10

In the trays, the longest pen should be under 166 mm. On the top, under 180 mm. The biggest diameter should be 16 mm for the slots of the trays, and c. 20 mm (even more) in the top display.

Thanks for the answer, an example of a pen that fits in the trays and another one that doesn't would be veeeeeeeery helpful.

#14 Alex2014

Alex2014

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 18:49

Thanks for the answer, an example of a pen that fits in the trays and another one that doesn't would be veeeeeeeery helpful.

Only few of my FP's does not fit in the trays: Danitrio Genkay (the sixth from the left - see photo above), Varuna Gajendra (a huge eyedropper), and Danitrio Mae Wae (the third from the left in the photo,  which is almost 20 mm in diameter). Some of my big FP's that fit in the trays: MB149, Nakaya Long Cigar, Platinum Izumo President, Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2, Jinhao 159, Pelikan M800, Sailor 1911L. I have to mention although that the case is hand-made so there are some little differences between the heights of the trays, so some of my FP's do not fit in all the trays, but only in some of them. It is the case of thicker FP's: MB 149 and Jinhao 159 (due to the cap ring). For all the FP's whose diameters (barrel and cap) do not exceed 16 mm (in all their parts), there are no problems.

Edited by Alex2014, 17 November 2014 - 19:03.

#15 Elperraco

Elperraco

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:14

Only few of my FP's does not fit in the trays: Danitrio Genkay (the sixth from the left - see photo above), Varuna Gajendra (a huge eyedropper), and Danitrio Mae Wae (the third from the left in the photo,  which is almost 20 mm in diameter). Some of my big FP's that fit in the trays: MB149, Nakaya Long Cigar, Platinum Izumo President, Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2, Jinhao 159, Pelikan M800, Sailor 1911L. I have to mention although that the case is hand-made so there are some little differences between the heights of the trays, so some of my FP's do not fit in all the trays, but only in some of them. It is the case of thicker FP's: MB 149 and Jinhao 159 (due to the cap ring). For all the FP's whose diameters (barrel and cap) do not exceed 16 mm (in all their parts), there are no problems.

Thank you a lot! thats exactly what I need to know, I think I have found my christmas selfpresent.

#16 musicman123

musicman123

The Sciency, Music Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:59

I'm sorry to revive this topic but I'm curious about getting this case. I've tried to contact the company but got no response at all. Do you know if they can ship to the US?

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

#17 Alex2014

Alex2014

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:56

The same wooden display with three trays already full. 

fpn_1436010640__img_4793m.jpg

Edited by Alex2014, 04 July 2015 - 11:56.

#18 EffyA

EffyA

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:27

The same wooden display with three trays already full. 

fpn_1436010640__img_4793m.jpg

#19 EffyA

EffyA

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:30

Beautiful and after all this time, would you still recommend this case? I think I may buy this as I have well over 60 fountain pens and it seems great for the price in which is very hard to find, just wondering if it will be packaged well and worth getting as I'm not familiar with this company. Any comment is appreciated. I did contact this company and yes they ship to the U.S. Regarding someone else's above comment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen case, maestro relojero, display

Sponsored Content

|