Heritage 1914 Or Skeleton 90Th Anniversary?

Opooh

Although totally different, both pens refer to Montblancs history. One might say their only point in common is their outrageous price setting. So, when price would not be an issue, with of these two pens would you take, the Heritage or the Skeleton?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Axis

• OngL

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Heritage - when you have both in front of you there is no reason (except that the skeleton is way cheaper than the 333 Heritage) not to take the 1914. To me the Skeleton was a disappointment - especially too light and overall not comparable to previous Skeleton pens in design and artwork. The 1914 is simply unique within their current lines of pens and there will be no pen with this size in the near or further future. The Skeleton 90 is designed to be an entry model into the Skeleton range (thus it does not have a limitation).

I love most of the skeletons but I would have to go with the 1914 only because it's a one of a kind and so big which I love, including that star! I don't prefer the 90th skeleton over any other skeleton, you can any kind of skeleton anytime you want and you could also just find a 90th nib and throw it on there! lol It couldn't clash anymore than the 90th Skeleton does now :P

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Thats a tough choice, I would have to look carefully at both pens at a boutique.

I suspect that both pens would look and feel wonderful. That may leave the limited numbers of the Heritage as the factor that swings my vote in the Heritage's favour.

Don't like pens that are too large, so the Skeleton will be my choice and design is very unique too!

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Without any doubt, I would get the Skeleton too :) I have a weak spot for its design and color and the 1914 is much too big for my hand

I asked myself the same question recently. Here are my notes:

- The skeleton is not limited edition and will be around for quite some time. Eventually, it'll surface at a better price.

- I was less impressed by the lightness of the skeleton than I had originally expected. The body and nib are beautiful, but overall there was an element of glow lacking about it.

- The Heritage resin I think will be around the same price as the skeleton. The coral is much more expensive.

I would go for the Heritage in resin. Its a nice edition to any collection and will remain coveted by collectors and easy to turn around in the future if need be.

I would go for the heritage , because it reflects better what we all like so much , heritage of course.

On the other hand , the nib on the heritage is something special , while the skeleton is just a 149 nib , we are all familiar with.

I personally have the 1912 and the nib experience is very special indeed.I can imagine the bigger 1914 wil be georgious as well

On the skeleton , I find there is an imbalance in appearance between the red gold look and the ruthenium barrel .

• 2 months later...

Apologies for digging old thread.

The 90th year skeleton in an expensive pen compared to what I have. Many said the most affordable skeleton ever produced by MB. I would save up to have one for use (not collection). I do have mixed feeling about this. The resin is not clear but opaque with ruthenium shading which diminish the demonstrator clarity. The feel on my index finger is a bit strange as only the wireframe and not the full resin is in touch.

What would be your thought? I am not interested in Heritage 1914... The smaller brother is great and is my daily writer. I believe boutique pricing is around US$ 9,300 and Authorised distributor is offering at US$ 7,500.

Thanks for any thoughts.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0177/7270/products/Montblanc-Meisterstuck-90-years-Skeleton-Fountain-Pen-Ruthenium-111849-3_grande.jpeg?v=1420504328

OngL - it indeed is the most affordable Skeleton they ever made. You should be aware that it is not an Artisan Edition - it is more or less a simple automised production run by Montblanc. When you compared it to other Skeletons you will experience the difference in terms of material and craftmanship immediately. Wait a couple of years and you will get it for 5,000 USD and less...

Axis, thanks for the tips. Yes, I feel the look and design is different from other skeleton including the 7th year or John Harrison which cost twice.

Interesting that you said it will drop in price while some (on sales side) said it would only increase or hold value.

Seems this will be on hold. If anyone owns this, I am interested hearing your opinion.

I was offered both pens at around the same time. I took the Heritage (black) without hesitation. As Axis said, the Skeleton's craftsmanship did not impress. It was in fact quite underwhelming (especially considering its price tag). The Heritage on the other looks and feels more than its price. I was tempted to go for the coral red Heritage too, but held back. I am still regretting that decision.

Axis, thanks for the tips. Yes, I feel the look and design is different from other skeleton including the 7th year or John Harrison which cost twice.

Interesting that you said it will drop in price while some (on sales side) said it would only increase or hold value.

Seems this will be on hold. If anyone owns this, I am interested hearing your opinion.

This is an unlimited production run. There will be about 500 with the 90th anniversary nib. As soon as these are sold, Montblanc has the option to produce further Skeleton pens (with a regular nib though).

Why should the value increase?

Edited by Axis

I was offered both pens at around the same time. I took the Heritage (black) without hesitation. As Axis said, the Skeleton's craftsmanship did not impress. It was in fact quite underwhelming (especially considering its price tag). The Heritage on the other looks and feels more than its price. I was tempted to go for the coral red Heritage too, but held back. I am still regretting that decision.

Same true for me - I went for the coral Version after some thoughtful days.

This is an unlimited production run. There will be about 500 with the 90th anniversary nib. As soon as these are sold, Montblanc has the option to produce further Skeleton pens (with a regular nib though).

Why should the value increase?

I'm going to quote the salesman words, please do not shoot the messenger. The 'unlimited' production has less taker, it was estimated less than 200 units based on the queue number. The pens have some stocks at boutique and the rest is made to order. I have no way to validate this statement. You mentioned about 500 nibs, was that an info from boutique?

I have a bit of skepticism about the value as the 75th year edition looks much nicer, so does the John Harrison. In about 10 years, the 100 years LE may be interesting as well. So the main factor for me was affordability. I didn't expect the feeling something was different was also substantiated by you and others. So it is a no go for me. Thanks !!!

hmmm.. Did the Heritage 1914 really that interesting? I held it but too big and certainly not to carry around. I don't suppose it will fit the typical pen case as well. I recall some coral still available at boutique in Singapore, you can also try to order at discount from the contact I shared earlier.