The Desiderata Pen Company Is…Open!

PrestoTenebroso

Here's a question.

If these lovely pens can accommodate a Zebra G nib, can they also play host to other dip nibs of similar size?

Presto, I guess you probably have tested this idea. Perhaps you have some insight for us?

For those who are lucky enough to lay paws on a Desiderata, it may be fun trying some other nibs.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PrestoTenebroso

• Cryptos

• RMN

• dork

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something I'm curious about myself. Not sure what I'd put on it, since I'm not familiar with dip pen nibs in general, but it might be interesting to play around with.

Here's a question.

If these lovely pens can accommodate a Zebra G nib, can they also play host to other dip nibs of similar size?

Presto, I guess you probably have tested this idea. Perhaps you have some insight for us?

For those who are lucky enough to lay paws on a Desiderata, it may be fun trying some other nibs.

1. They weren't designed to.

2. I have tested other nibs, and can only vouch for those listed on the site.

Something I'm curious about myself. Not sure what I'd put on it, since I'm not familiar with dip pen nibs in general, but it might be interesting to play around with.

Let me know what you come up with NinthSphere!

Hmm, just looking at my tiny selection of dip pens I notice that the Hunt 101, 22 and 56 look very similar in size to the Zebra. Although I cannot see the pen it does look like these nibs may at least fit. So, continuing this line of inquiry, is the feed nib interface so exact that it only works with the Zebra?

I confess I do not understand any of the physics involved in this but I would have thought that a fountain pen that could fit several types of nib would be quite desirable. Just wondering now if the difference between the Nemosine nib and the Zebra is the same as between, say, a Hunt 101 and the Zebra - in terms of physical size that is.

EDIT:

One other consideration. How critical is ink selection going to be here, given that this is a dip nib?

Edited by Cryptos

One other consideration. How critical is ink selection going to be here, given that this is a dip nib?

I'm curious about this as well.

Most of my dip nibs work alright with (some) fountain pen inks, but I do have a few thicker dip-pen-specific inks as well. Would the feed in this be able to accomodate these inks, or is it safe to say this is for fountain-pen inks only?

I have a bunch of dip nibs lying around at home, so I hope to be able to try them out in this pen. If I'm lucky, some of them will work! :)

Hmm, just looking at my tiny selection of dip pens I notice that the Hunt 101, 22 and 56 look very similar in size to the Zebra. Although I cannot see the pen it does look like these nibs may at least fit. So, continuing this line of inquiry, is the feed nib interface so exact that it only works with the Zebra?

I confess I do not understand any of the physics involved in this but I would have thought that a fountain pen that could fit several types of nib would be quite desirable. Just wondering now if the difference between the Nemosine nib and the Zebra is the same as between, say, a Hunt 101 and the Zebra - in terms of physical size that is.

EDIT:

These are good questions.

Oh, my pen can accommodate several types of nibs–the ones I've tested it with. Those are the only ones I can guarantee.

For the record, there's already a pen on the market that was designed so you could tinker with multiple dip nibs, and it even has a stainless steel flex nib as one of them.

The geometric differences between the nibs around which I designed my pen, and the nibs you mentioned are enough to turn an otherwise pleasant, reliable pen into a nightmare. Trust me, I put in the hours.

I would have loved to create the One Pen to Rule Them All, but that was simply a physical impossibility. Just like different pastas are made for different sauces, no one pen can hold every type of nib–well.

You can use regular fountain pen ink without issue. I have tried india inks, and though they worked great for a few minutes, they clogged the feed just like I expected them to.

p.s. I just added these to my FAQ.

Fair enough.

Hopefully we will get plenty of reviews from those lucky enough to get one of these beauties. And with any luck there will one or two experimenters out there*

*I can't help it, I was born with a cat's curiosity.

Edited by Cryptos

These are so gorgeous; I just have no experience with that nib, though. It's amazing that the pens you have on clearance are just as lovely as the regularly priced ones!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Gotcha. I looked on your site and didn't see anything. I know I'm partially blind, and partially, uh, not bright. :) I blame that on my 7th graders. :P

Thanks!

Please post a thorough review after you've finished playing with it. Vicarious experience is all I can have right now. http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/meditate.gif

Nice test run.

I got mine today, but I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow or so to play around with it. Beautiful pens.

I was going to ask what the Primrose was, but I caught it on the site. Double eyedropper is pretty cool.