Need A Capless Fp For Filling Forms

pkoko

Hello

I have been away from the FP for a while. Life has kept me busy.

Anyhow, as part of my new job; I need to fill out forms quite a bit. I need to write clients info into a form while I am meeting with them. I need something capless with very fine nib. I already have Pilot VP with fine nib and it is too thick for my forms. Other than Pilot VP & Lamy Decimo; any other capless FP? Can anyone think of another alternative?

I have tried using couple of regular capped FPs but I worry about droping the pen or the cap during the meeting. My finest nib which Sailor F barely fits my nib size requirement. I really feel Sailor XF will fit me better. How would you advise me to go?

I know ink plays a part too. I am currently using Pelikan Blk ink. Any other recommended dryer inks? The inks need to be waterproof & fade proof. Any color is acceptable as long as it is professional.

Thanks

I think of my FPs as my children.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• pkoko

• AZBennett

• FoszFay

I can't think of any cap-less ones that are under $200.

But far as form fillings, the Pilot Vanishing Point with either Fine or Extra-Fine nib sounds like a good one since it won't likely bleed/feather as much as the western alternatives.

Get a new nib unit for the VP with a very fine grind. Or have your current nib adjusted. The first would be easier and quicker, but more expensive. At nibs.com (highly recommended), new VP nibs go for $70. If you need something finer than the standard extra fine, a custom grind is usually about $55 (last time I had a Pelikan nib ground). Just beware, needle points tend to be a mite scratchy and on cheap paper like many forms use, it might be unpleasant.

My wife is a paralegal and uses a Pilot VP with EF nib without any difficulties. It's also probably the most cost efficient of the "capless" FPs.

I picked up the EF Vanishing Point unit from Goulet Pens for 47.50 in their Bottom Shelf area. Every once in a while they put up big price reductions on their VP nib units.

Thanks for the replies. Cost is no issue (as long as it is under $500 etc). Paper is actually pretty smooth and nice paper. It just absorbs too much ink and forms are small. Any more suggustions?

Edited by pkoko

Dryer ink?

+1

Maybe even go for an iron-gall like Salix or ESSR. You said you fill out forms, which will probably benefit from using an archival ink anyway.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

+1

Maybe even go for an iron-gall like Salix or ESSR. You said you fill out forms, which will probably benefit from using an archival ink anyway.

Tom.

Although I'm not sure how well the pigments in an iron gall would treat the feed on the VP. However it is a friendlier IG formular for FPs, but to date I've only used it in pens where I can either completely disassemble the nib/feed, or the feed is a straight cut (without any fins) like my BCHR pen from 100 years ago.

The Pelikan 4001 formulations may be good for dryer flow, but not sure if it's waterproof/bulletproof. Course if Black ink isn't a problem, there is Noodler's Black Eel, lubricated if you pair it with an XXF or such (otherwise may be too wet for very absorbent paper).

But to date, I've never had a problem with Salix, so some of my concerns may be unfounded, I just avoided using it in pens where I can't get the feed separated from the rest of the pen.

+1 on dryer ink, and +1 on getting an XF or XXF nib unit for your VP. nibs.com or richardspens.com will sort you right out.

I really like the Pelikan 4001 inks for nice, reliable dry inks.

Edited by Lou Erickson

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Stipula has retractable nibs, though I dont think they really fit the bill here

If I recall, that's the one that's kind of a stick that you have to twist a bit around to extend the nib, not quite as "ready to go" as the vanishing point clickers. Also the nibs may be a bit thicker for the purpose of using on very absorbent form paper, so you're probably right in regards to not fitting the bill.

In this video Brian Goulet shows the Lamy Dialog as well as the Stipula Davinci compared to the Vanishing Point. Around the 22 minute mark or so.

I was also going to suggest the Dialog 3, but Lamy nibs run a bit wide. Their XFs are fairly fine, but nothing like Japanese XFs.

As for ink: Try the Noodler's Bernanke series. I've been using the Black & Blue for note taking lately and it dries almost instantly on most paper I've tried with.

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

I was also going to suggest the Dialog 3, but Lamy nibs run a bit wide. Their XFs are fairly fine, but nothing like Japanese XFs.

As for ink: Try the Noodler's Bernanke series. I've been using the Black & Blue for note taking lately and it dries almost instantly on most paper I've tried with.

Their EF (least on the Safari and Lamy 2000) I've found to be closer to a western fine and also tends to be on the wet soaking side. Which even if you get one that's rather fine on the line, the bleed will cause those little quick dots at the end of strokes or bleed thru to the other side of the page, also the feathering from the extra wetness will give the appearance of being closer to a medium (which is what happens with my Safari and the brand new EF).

Although I'm not sure how well the pigments in an iron gall would treat the feed on the VP. However it is a friendlier IG formular for FPs, but to date I've only used it in pens where I can either completely disassemble the nib/feed, or the feed is a straight cut (without any fins) like my BCHR pen from 100 years ago.

The Pelikan 4001 formulations may be good for dryer flow, but not sure if it's waterproof/bulletproof. Course if Black ink isn't a problem, there is Noodler's Black Eel, lubricated if you pair it with an XXF or such (otherwise may be too wet for very absorbent paper).

But to date, I've never had a problem with Salix, so some of my concerns may be unfounded, I just avoided using it in pens where I can't get the feed separated from the rest of the pen.

Pelikan Blue-Black is probably hard to get (especially if you're in the US) but it is waterproof. Fully readable after a soak.

I think IG inks are overly-avoided. Especially Salix, which are completely safe. Just rinse every fill, depending on how long a fill lasts, but probably 1 month intervals.

Tom.

I'd also look at a grinding for fineness; there's not a lot of retractable points out there (and vintage safeties shouldn't be considered because they've got caps AND they're an open tube of ink between cap removal and point extension). In the ink department, I'm a fan of Jentle blue-black in the areas of coherence on paper and water resistance, and it's not too much of a chore come cleaning time.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for replies everyone. I decided on ordering another VP with EF nib in addition to another nib custum grind to XXF from nibs.com. I will keep you guys updated with the results.

Thanks for replies everyone. I decided on ordering another VP with EF nib in addition to another nib custum grind to XXF from nibs.com. I will keep you guys updated with the results.

I think you will be delighted with the VP and the EF nib. I use Iroshizuku inks in mine, and get a very fine line--fine enough to make marginal notes on fine-ruled notebooks, if the paper quality is good. With the custom grind, you may be even happier. In either case, use a very light hand to let the nib write its finest, and enjoy!

ron