The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Superflex Category

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:25

Well, my Miss Swan (:inhale: Binderized super needlepoint Mabie Todd & Co. 'Swan' ringtop No. 2 flex nib c. 1925.. did I miss anything? :exhale:) isn't a superflex; she belongs in the somewhat vague, but wonderful category known as "vintage flex".

My very generous friend lent me five gorgeous pens that carry prestigious titles* such as "superflex", "triple flex", "copperplate-capable", "Spencerian style", etc. with them. Their pictures may be found here.

*Bestowed upon them by experts David Nishimura, Gary Lehrer, and John Mottishaw.

The differing amounts of force needed to fully flex these pens (without being vulgar.. i.e. spreading tines till the ink film bursts) are as follows**:

Miss Swan (for reference): 250g
Nakaya soft flex (also for reference): 300g
Waterman 12: 200g
Aikin Lambert: 200g
John Holland: 225g
Waterman 42: 175g
Mottishaw Namiki Falcon (please keep in mind this is a modern pen, and that it's not advertised as being as flexible as a vintage superflex): 350g

**Please keep in mind that these measurements are very rough estimates --they were crudely taken from a kitchen scale with a piece of paper taped to it roflmho.gif

Here are the writing samples, all on Clairefontaine paper with NOS Skrip blue-black (gold top):

Attached Images

• superflexbuddies.jpg

My little website of illustrations

Last updated Saturday, 24 Feb. 2007.
(Two new H. P. Lovecraft links have been added.)
Wow-- I've 2000 hits, thanks to all the wonderful visitors from over 30 different countries!

Sponsored Content

#2 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:31

If anyone wants any specific details about some particular thing concerning all of this, please feel free to ask. biggrin.gif

-Hana

P.S. The image above is approx. 15 cm (6 in.) wide in person.

P.P.S. The last bit of writing may be hard to read-- sorry! headsmack.gif It says: "...Great balance of feedback & smoothness. Inkflow keeps up w/speed." I think this pen would be very good for beginning flex-users. biggrin.gif

Edited by umenohana, 17 March 2007 - 09:42.

Wow-- I've 2000 hits, thanks to all the wonderful visitors from over 30 different countries!

#3 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:26

Outstanding. Thank you for your review. smile.gif
Now all I have to do is to learn to write like that. Should only take 8 hours a day for 4 or 5 years.

Edited by jd50ae, 17 March 2007 - 10:48.

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:40

very nice pens and good review wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:34

Fascinating summary... and so lovely. Thank you! smile.gif
Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection · My Weblog · My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

#6 johnr55

johnr55

The New Deal

• Member - Gold

• 831 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:37

As usual, the quality of your review is only exceeded by your delicate hand. Thanks!

#7 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 13:25

Thanks for posting those samples and the comparison. Would you explain, what is the difference in the way a flexible nib feels when you write, compared to a regular nib? Does you have to hold the pen differently or write differently with these nibs?

#8 Jared

Jared

Broad Italics & Stubs

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 14:12

Thank you, Hana, for the wonderfully written examples.

Jared

#9 AJP

AJP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 15:25

Hana:

Great review and great writing. I am taking delivery of a Binderized flex point (duo-point) on a Pelikan today or Monday hopefully. Now if I can just learn to use it like you, Im all set biggrin.gif

Alex
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

#10 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 16:27

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Mar 17 2007, 02:26 AM)
Outstanding. Thank you for your review. smile.gif
Now all I have to do is to learn to write like that. Should only take 8 hours a day for 4 or 5 years.

It may not take that long at all. I think I started just about a year or so ago-- with a roller ball! (later progressed to dip pen, then FP.. evolutionary stages lol laugh.gif )

-Hana

#11 Ged

Ged

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 16:40

For only a year, your copperplate is fantastic.

Wonderful pens, nice review. Thanks!

#12 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 16:42

Thank you all for your support. blush.gif biggrin.gif Testing these pens out has been such an amazing privilege!

-Hana

#13 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,108 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 16:49

Hana --

I started reading your reviews just to enjoy your handwriting samples.

Now, I'm hooked because they are informative, well thought out, and well written.

Keep it up!

DRP

#14 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 16:56

QUOTE (jonro @ Mar 17 2007, 05:25 AM)
Thanks for posting those samples and the comparison. Would you explain, what is the difference in the way a flexible nib feels when you write, compared to a regular nib? Does you have to hold the pen differently or write differently with these nibs?

Great questions!

-I don't change the way I hold my pens with flex/stiff, but
-They sure feel different. It can be likened to the differences btwn writing with a pencil and painting with a brush (only the Waterman 42 truly feel like this to me, though).
-I believe the stiffer flex may be easier for beginners to wield, because they sort of "guide" you through the writing process. With an over-cooked noodle, you're on your own-- such freedom!
-There are also many different kinds of flex, but the differences between some of them are quite vague. (For example: the John Holland starts to opens its tines at a lower pressure, but its maximum width isn't as wide as the others)

-Hana

edit: wording

Edited by umenohana, 17 March 2007 - 16:57.

#15 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,619 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 17:09

Hana-san, beautiful as always. I wish I could get a flexible pen that comes with instant handwriting modification function biggrin.gif

#16 CD7

CD7

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 19:22

Beautiful.
Censors tend to do what only psychotics do: they confuse reality with illusion. - David Cronenberg

#17 perstylo

perstylo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:38

Hana,

Beautiful handwriting samples, and great fun to read about the differences between the nibs. Thank you so much.

Can you tell me a little more about how you learnt this hand? Was it from a book? If you've already posted this let me know and I'll search it out. Thanks.

#18 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:12

QUOTE (perstylo @ Mar 17 2007, 05:38 PM)
Hana,

Beautiful handwriting samples, and great fun to read about the differences between the nibs. Thank you so much.

Can you tell me a little more about how you learnt this hand? Was it from a book? If you've already posted this let me know and I'll search it out. Thanks.

I think I've said it somewhere, but I'll save you the trouble. (I am lazy! tongue.gif ) I was inspired by the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights (click here for a huge image of the BoR) at first, but I just went on to do whatever I thought looked good. I have a Book of Calligraphy (has examples of many other styles, too) by David Harris, but I've deviated from the copperplate style shown there.

-Hana

#19 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:18

BTW-- please welcome the newest addition to my fountain pen family: Mr. O. Waterman! (The O stands for "Octagonal" cool.gif ) He is looking forward to participating in this wonderful forum. happycloud9.gif

-Hana

#20 Jared

Jared

Broad Italics & Stubs

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:09

Hana,

So "Mr. O. Waterman" is no longer a guest, but an addition to your collection? Must be quite a friend you've got.

I would very much like to see how he and "Miss Swan" dance together (comparative samples from what appears to be your two favorite vintage flex nibs). biggrin.gif

Jared

Sponsored Content

|