Pilot 78G Medium

collectibles114

So sorry to get back to you so late; I've been pretty busy with school!

Here's picture of writing in reverse—unfortunately, it doesn't write (as you can see)...

Thanks for the update. Being busy is good - it keeps you out of trouble! ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collectibles114

• jmccarty3

• TheRealScubaSteve

• cimmerian

Speaking of ink compatibility, my 78G fine nib writes extremely well with R&K Cassia. I don't understand why Pilot discontinued this model.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Speaking of ink compatibility, my 78G fine nib writes extremely well with R&K Cassia. I don't understand why Pilot discontinued this model.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that myself, thanks jmccarty3. And I agree, it's too bad the 78G was discontinued, it's a fantastic pen.

Interestingly, mine came from a different seller (pokydady), but it has the exact same packaging and return address. I wonder if these are drop-shipped from a warehouse or if the seller just has multiple accounts. It even has the same tape job to protect the bar code and address.

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

thank you for the review and for the unboxing photos. it's like a vicarious thrill of opening a package. ^_^

I agree, unpacking a new pen is my favorite part!

Interestingly, mine came from a different seller (pokydady), but it has the exact same packaging and return address. I wonder if these are drop-shipped from a warehouse or if the seller just has multiple accounts. It even has the same tape job to protect the bar code and address.

Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if it's multiple sellers. It's funny you say that because I've noticed the same thing with a number of Chinese pens I've bought on ebay. A handful of the sellers package things the exact same way or have the same description pages.

I hope there are more sellers as good as the one I bought this pen from!

Edited by collectibles114

• 9 months later...

I have the opportunity to buy a Pilot 78G with an M nib from a local seller, which is pretty rare, but I already have a Pilot Metropolitan with an M nib. So... I don't know. Wouldn't I have the very same writing experience? Does anybody think it's worth it to have a Metropolitan and a 78G in the same nib size?

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

I have the opportunity to buy a Pilot 78G with an M nib from a local seller, which is pretty rare, but I already have a Pilot Metropolitan with an M nib. So... I don't know. Wouldn't I have the very same writing experience? Does anybody think it's worth it to have a Metropolitan and a 78G in the same nib size?

Get with b stub nib.... Nibs are swappable

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I've always wanted to bump into the other person who prefers the squeeze-bar converter, but in a world with 8 billion people I figured, what were the odds? Very nice review, by the way.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Get with b stub nib.... Nibs are swappable

Unfortunately, they're only carrying the pen with M nibs. Unless I get one with a different nib (a B would be lovely indeed), it's not worth it?

The B nib on the 78G is really a stub, about 0.6 mm--the BB is a broader stub, about 1.1 mm. No tipping on either one, but they write very nicely.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Even after owning some relatively costlier pens, I think Pilot 78G pens are one of the best writers and value-for-money options around... the B and BB nibs, being 0.7 & 1.5 italics respectivly are my favourites... the option of using them as ED is what I find to be an added advantage! The only complaint I have is regarding the golden ring painted on the cap which fades over time... may be Pilot should pay attention to it.

• 1 month later...

Even after owning some relatively costlier pens, I think Pilot 78G pens are one of the best writers and value-for-money options around... the B and BB nibs, being 0.7 & 1.5 italics respectivly are my favourites... the option of using them as ED is what I find to be an added advantage! The only complaint I have is regarding the golden ring painted on the cap which fades over time... may be Pilot should pay attention to it.

Can they be really used as eyedroppers?

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine too, I got one of each color. It is not the perfect pen for all situations (I prefer the Prera as a pocket/notes/work pen), but it is pretty reliable. My only gripe against Pilot is that they usually don't work well with just any ink. I don't know if cutting the feed deeper fixes this. I am now kind of wanting a good and cheap non-Pilot pen so I can use the inks that don't work well in my Pilots.

I have the Pilot Metropolitan in Fine nib. I started with pilots own ink but have since bought some Diamine Ink which seems to work quite well with the Metro. I haven't had a chance to try other inks though, so with time, I may find some that don't work as well.

• 2 years later...

Can this pen be used as an eyedropper? I bought one today but it was without any convertor or cartridge inside?

The body is one piece of plastic, without holes or glue points, and it's screws nicely to the section, so I guess with a little bit of silicone grease on the threads I don't see why not. The only downside is that's not a translucent body, so you won't know when you're low on ink.

Mine came with the same aerometric converter that the Metropolitans come with, though.