The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Any Boston Area Vintage Pen Fans Who Want To Share Repair Expertise?

vintage repair learn boston

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 islandink

islandink

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 14:52

Vintage bug has bitten...and now wondering if I should learn how to resac etc etc.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is talk me out of the whole thing....

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr. JW

Mr. JW

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2014 - 15:36

As a Boston area guy, I'll jump in and say that you should definitely learn to do some of your own repairs. I would start small and work your way to more difficult things. I have found that working on Esterbrooks and other lever fillers is a good place to start. Replacing a sac or a J-bar is not that difficult and there are plenty of resources to help you along. Once you are comfortable there, you can move on to more difficult things.

Jeff

#3 redbike

redbike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:17

Agreed. Richard Binder's site has a wealth of information on easy and not so easy pen repairs. Start out with inexpensive pens to minimize cost of any damage you do. When you are able to competently replace a sac on a cheap pen, you can proceed to Esterbrooks, Eversharps and Sheaffers. Good luck.

As a Boston area guy, I'll jump in and say that you should definitely learn to do some of your own repairs. I would start small and work your way to more difficult things. I have found that working on Esterbrooks and other lever fillers is a good place to start. Replacing a sac or a J-bar is not that difficult and there are plenty of resources to help you along. Once you are comfortable there, you can move on to more difficult things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, repair, learn, boston

Sponsored Content

|