Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• graystranger

• volkswagenfox21

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26g is a hefty pen.

I'd love to see something about 16g or less, which may be a challenge to engineer,

_...‹snip›...

I think if Pilot was able to make a Resin Vanishing Point about 16g or less, either with a Twist or Click Mechanism, but especially with the Twist Mechanism, then you have a much more practical pen that can also be used for long writing sessions expanding the pens usability across contexts and preferences of consumers and potential consumers.

Heck, I'd say make a Resin Vanishing point as light as possible so it's really an EDC pen.

I used a Pilot Capless matte black Vanishing Point as my EDC for work for several years, and during daylight hours it lived mainly in my shirt pocket, or the breast pocket inside my suit jacket or blazer, and not a man-bag or briefcase. I don't see a problem with either the weight or the girth of that pen as an "every day carry" as-is.

As for long writing sessions, in my opinion the weight balance of the pen matters far more than the overall heft. The long "knock mechanism" or click button at the end that contributes significantly to the total length of the pen carries relatively little weight, so top-heaviness is definitely not a consideration with the Pilot Capless VP or a detriment to extended writing sessions.

I can understand some users complaining about the girth, and more so the positioning of the clip. However, especially for an "every day carry", even if the pens feels slightly heavy at first (and it's no 40g-50g monster), one would develop the muscle strength over time (and relatively quickly) if using it every day, especially if at first it feels awkward and one has to concentrate to wield the pen and make one's handwriting look "nice".

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

However, especially for an "every day carry", even if the pens feels slightly heavy at first (and it's no 40g-50g monster), one would develop the muscle strength over time (and relatively quickly) if using it every day, especially if at first it feels awkward and one has to concentrate to wield the pen and make one's handwriting look "nice".

Yes, my fingers are absolutely ripped from using the VP extensively.

All joking aside, I agree that the VP is a great EDC pen. Perhaps not the lightest, the grip might be awkward for some (me included), but the convenience really offsets all the bad points for me personally. Can it be improved? Yes. But as things are now I won't trade my VP for any other pen to bring into a 3 hour written examination; able to cap and uncap the pen easily gives me a nice peace of mind.

Owning (several of) both models I can attest that the Décimo is considerably lighter, so if the Capless feels heavy to you then try its slimmer sibling. Since the nib units are swappable you could even transfer your favourite nib into the another body.

I'd even suggest, if the clip of the Decimo is a problem, finding a previous generation Vanishing Point (though don't expect fancy colors... Scripto Black is the only finish I've ever seen it in, though https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/269554-pilot-capless-vanishing-point-old-vs-new/ shows red and blue ones). That model is about the size of the Decimo, and has a one-piece nose/clip -- no step between the nose and clip, just a smooth angled surface.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some issues getting my Carbonesque Black's broad nib to get ink contact with Rhodia and Clairefontaine too, although it has improved now. My steel nib pens like my Parker 25 seem to be impervious to this problem.

Inks used include Diamine Safari and Silver Fox, plus Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 2 months later...

Just in recent weeks I picked up my first (pre-loved) VP. The Medium nib is amazing, glassy smooth, tight line and robust flow. This pen really is a joy to use for me, but I do prefer thicker, heavier pens, owning more than a handful brass & lacquer pens.

49684343913_7a0074fb47_k.jpg