Another D I Y 149 Repair Pictorial

Paul Raposo

Paul (and others who might be wondering) the link in your first post to Custom Pen Parts is not the only page that has MB spindles. The Peek ones are here, one level up on the site.

http://www.custompenparts.co.uk/16-mont-blanc

No affiliation etc.

Edited by Rowbo

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Raposo

• Rowbo

• slippery when wet

• Pen Nut

Paul (and others who might be wondering) the link in your first post to Custom Pen Parts is not the only page that has MB spindles. The Peek ones are here, one level up on the site.

http://www.custompenparts.co.uk/16-mont-blanc

No affiliation etc.

Thanks very much for that link Rowbo. I realize now I was using the wrong search words on Roger's site. I didn't even notice the menu on the left side.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

A brilliant post,Paul, and so incredibly ingenious. If I have the misfortune of experiencing another break like that (on a pen I don't mind taking the risk with) I might just try your DIY rather than returning it to MB. :thumbup:

A brilliant post,Paul, and so incredibly ingenious. If I have the misfortune of experiencing another break like that (on a pen I don't mind taking the risk with) I might just try your DIY rather than returning it to MB. :thumbup:

Thanks much chunya :)

In the last DIY thread the ring had been pulled out of the groove when I bought the pen, so there was no issue there. This time around I gave this a go and was happy to see it worked out.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

Paul's Pens

Respect, very well done!

Edited by ThomasA1000

Looking for a Pelikan 100n barrel brown (screwed section), please offer.

Respect, very well done!

Thank you ThomasA1000 :thumbup:

Paul's Pens

Thanks a lot. Your are our commodity.

Thank you dallasjarrel :)

Paul's Pens

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, thanks for the informative thread, I hope you don't mind but I would like to make one suggestion which I believe is an improvement on the way you extract the C clip from the filler cap.

I use a simple and inexpensive crotchet needle with the end ground down enough to locate itself under the C clip. I have found this to be fool proof and with out any risk of damage to the inside of the cap. Takes a few seconds to pull it out and is very repeatable. This eliminates any risk associated with using a drill bit, I hope the pictures tell the story

fpn_1416544820___dsc9524.jpgfpn_1416544820___dsc9524.jpg

Edited by slippery when wet

This is the original needle ,sorry for the double image above

fpn_1416545714__fpn_1416544779___dsc9523

Edited by slippery when wet

That's an excellent idea SWW :thumbup: My mother has dozens of crochet needles and it never occurred to me at the time to modify one of them.

Paul's Pens

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just got a 149 from ebay in which the spindle had detached from the filler cone, but the C-ring was still present. Not having access to metric plastic tubing in the States, I bought a pack of Evergreen plastic tubing in the 3/16" OD size to make a tool to push the C-ring into place. I then used a 9/64" drill to widen the ID since it would not fit over the spindle as supplied. After much adjustment of the bent C-ring, it snapped into place.

[Edited to substitute "C-ring" for "O-ring."]

Edited by entertainment

Excellent job entertainment :thumbup: Always good to see other collectors tackling repairs.

Paul's Pens

Amazing work. I live in mortal fear of my spindle breaking. Do you use silicone to lube the piston and seal the threads?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 years later...

Such a shame that so many photo hosting websites no longer seem to work - there's dozens of old threads I've read here that just dont make much sense without the photos, and yet they seem incredibly informative.

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for your brilliant ideas! Inspired by the suggestions here, I was able to remove the broken spindle from this 1970s 146. Here’s how I did it:

First - I hand drilled a tiny hole right next to the C ring. The idea was to make room for a hook of some sort to go under the C ring and yank it out.

fpn_1580573267__ee824b0f-bdbc-4411-9973-

Here is the dental pick I used to pull the C ring out:

fpn_1580573314__7d7908f9-d044-4dbc-9719-

Next - once I am under the C ring, I pull!

fpn_1580573361__1e8a177f-6d20-4a75-aae0-

Finally - we have a fully disassembled piston!

fpn_1580573453__81c5b353-0e4e-4b44-8472-

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link