Cartier Diabolo Platinum Review

redisburning

http://i.imgur.com/nIGpqEY.jpg

I wanted an M800, but they go for so much these days. So I bought this instead. :lticaptd:

This is a Diabolo de Cartier Platinum Pinstripe fountain pen with a medium nib. I would not have ever gone looking for this pen, but I have a co-worker who owns a rollerball by this company and frankly I was very impressed by the pen. So when this one popped up on eBay, I went ahead and made an offer that put this is in mid-level Sailor/Pilot price territory which was accepted so now I am the owner of a pen that is way under most people's radars. But I think that shouldn't be the case, as this is a very nice pen. I hope my review illuminates a brand that doesn't see much play and perhaps positively changes your mind on "boutique" brands when they make a pen the right way.

For those who care, pictures in this review were taken with an Olympus 90mm f2.0 Macro. While there are no scans, I tested this pen on Rhodia and Clairefontaine with Aurora Black and Noodler's BSiAR (old formula, if that matters).

http://i.imgur.com/Nkj4pZe.jpg

Presentation

As well as the nice red box you saw in the first picture, the Diabolo comes with this additional stuff. Some cartridges and a half cute, half disgustingly cloying set of literature which I believe is designed to emulate a sex act performed on the buyer via printed text. The cute half is that it comes in French too :P

I think this is fine packaging. It is a step above the modern Japanese stuff you get in your everyday pens but I doubt it will be around in 60 years the way my Parker 51 case is. And it certainly doesn't compare to the King of Pen or Nakaya boxes. I don't know what this pen cost originally, I honestly couldn't find good pricing info for this particular model. Would you be happy with this? I can't say. Personally, I like a durable but plain box that I can use to transport the pen in a move. I don't require much more than that.

I do like it when I get the packaging in a second hand pen. But, I'm fairly certain this pen was NEVER used. I got a full box of cartridges and the converter was cleaner than a dino bone. So, I think I got someone else's new pen? Dunno.

http://i.imgur.com/TrwHBzr.jpg

The Pen - Outside

So, let me say this about this pen. I think that capped, this pen looks VERY good. I really like pinstripes, I really like metal caps, I can take/leave metal pen bodies. So this ticks a lot of good boxes. I am less thrilled about the little blue thing. What were they trying to do with that? It reminded me a bit of the Parker 51 jewel, but tackier.

http://i.imgur.com/6zujZ9j.jpg

Oh well. I still think the pen looks fantastic.

The biggest surprise to me was that with the cap off this is THE most beautiful pen I've ever seen. It is just such a good shape, such a nice contrast between nib to section to body, etc. that it just fantastic. And then I don't have to look at the cap :D

I realize a pen is a tool, and that for many people the way it looks is more of a necessary but not sufficient condition for purchase. I get that. This pen is not a good example of that, however. I think you have to like the way it looks.

What I think ANYONE can appreciate is how well this pen is made. The tolerances, the uniformity and the refinement on this pen are a different level for me. This is a clear step nicer than my 146. Its really nice and haptics alone on this pen almost justify its existence. I don't know the first thing about jewelry, so I have no idea if cartier jewelry is good or just a brand, but this pen is fantastic.

It's a good size and weight too. This is not a pen for posting, but despite the metal body it is not overly heavy compared to a posted piston pen so that's nice. The section is comfortable enough. Just as an fyi, the nib is the same size as the 145 (albeit 18k rather than 14k) but the pen is as big as a 146. It is also single tone and not overly adorned. With the cap off, this is a surprisingly understated pen. Go figure.

http://i.imgur.com/seGr4qN.jpg

The Pen - Writing

This is a Montblanc. Ok seriously, this is a Montblanc. Not only does it take Montblanc converters (I know because the MB one has an agitator so I put it in this pen), but it has the an almost identical feed to the 145, too. So, if you've used a modern Montblanc medium, you know what this pen is like. The C/C doesn't bother me but I wish there was a larger opening on the converter. I can personally get a full day's writing out of this pen, sometimes 2, at work.

To summarize: it is very wet, it is very smooth, it has springyness but no real flex, and sometimes it likes to skip on both CF and Rhodia (especially with drier inks).

If you like this (MB) sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like.

http://i.imgur.com/LQMoZQU.jpg

Summary

So why buy this pen? Well, I wouldn't if it were much more expensive. This is a pen where you are putting a lot of money not into a unique nib or a super cool filling system. It writes well, sure, I'm not saying it doesn't. But I think a lot of the money in this pen goes into materials (I mean, look at it lmao), and the construction of the exterior of the pen. And I'm ok with that. You could get a Justus 95 or Custom 823 or Pro Gear Realo new for what I paid for this pen (if you import from Japan), and if your patient, you can get a 146 for about the same price (as pictured). All of those pens offer more value in the pen part with their more complicated, larger capacity ink reservoirs. Also, I'm not sure you can reliably get a Diabolo for what I paid, as this is one of the few I've seen for sale. But assuming you can, you are just paying for something a little bit different on this pen than you do on most pens. And let me say this, while you personally may not appreciate that, you very well may. This pen has the whole "build quality" thing in excess.

I'm not recommending that you go find one of these brand new. I'm sure it's heinously expensive. But, these are not bad pens at all. In fact, it's a really good pen. I would absolutely recommend, however, giving this pen some thought should you appreciate something very well made, that is reliable if not terribly exciting writing, AND you can find it for a price you can justify for it. I'm happy to have added this pen to my "collection" and will add it to my work rotation where I have and will continue to enjoy it as an excellent example of coach building.

Under the conditions I stated above, I would highly recommend this pen.

Edited by redisburning

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• redisburning

• Inked

• Hanoi

As Montblanc and Cartier are both owned by Richemont, they are technically from the same group source. However, I don't believe that Cartier pens are made in Hamburg where Montblanc pens are made.

Edited by Chrissy

As Montblanc and Cartier are both owned by Richemont, they are technically from the same group source. However, I don't believe that Cartier pens are made in Hamburg where Montblanc pens are made.

well, like I said in the summary, I think this is a coachbuilt pen. or at least, that's what I can tell about it. Montblanc "chassis" , Cartier body. but Ive never seen another pen that takes the MB screw in converter.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

Edited by redisburning

• 3 years later...

I bought mine -- black resin with platinum trim -- new in 2002 for about what you paid for yours. And I agree -- it's a great pen. It is currently filled with Jacques Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor

I can't speak for the Diablo as I have never had one, but I believe it is the most MB like of all the Cartier pens. I have had the Louis Cartier version which as per this review is exquisitely engineered and happens to be an amazing writer with size 6 nib, but is too heavy for me. I sold the 2 I had. I do still have a Roadster in black (precious?) resin and it's an astounding pen suitable for daily use. It is very long at over 150mm but it's beautifully balanced and has a Waterman MAN 100/Exception nib and feed!!! Very strange and welcome nib choice and a great pen. I get there is snobbery and in this case reverse snobbery in every hobby, but Cartier pens are ignored by so many people just because of their name. They really are a worthwhile investment and generally not to expensive on the secondary market. I'd honestly struggle to find a pen of similar build quality for under $1000, but you have to enjoy the aesthetic I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

"They really are a worthwhile investment and generally not to expensive on the secondary market. I'd honestly struggle to find a pen of similar build quality for under $1000, but you have to enjoy the aesthetic I guess. "

I have a couple of Cartier's Pasha's and I agree with you 100%.

Over here in North America, Cartier pens are under rated from a popularity perspective, but they sure are not under built from a reality perspective.

Thanks to the original poster for the review.

Inked