Bubble Gum Pink Sealant Mystery Solved ?

Pen Nut

As those of us who 'mess about' (Mrs Pen Nuts term) with their MB's the sealant on the nib units of 146/149 pens has always seemed to remain unknown as to what it actually is and members use their own methods of sealing. I have used beeswax in the past and it seems to work.

Has anyone tried the product which is linked below ? If so what results have been acheived ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-2014-MONTBLANC-MEISTERSTUCK-146-149-ORIGINAL-SILICONE-SEAL-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/390951914904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b068ccd98#ht_7201wt_958

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesgibby

• Pen Nut

• Chrissy

• Ron Z

Well, it certainly looks the part.

No, never used it, myself. Used wax and a clear silicon sealant.

The postage seems a bit severe, but it's a tempting item.

Thanks

Edited by CS388

No, I mixed up some rosin and castor oil. The shipping is cray-cray. I'd like to try it, however. It looks right. Wish those tools and the sealer were not so pricey. I made my own tool and it was very crude. But it worked.

But it is precisely the right stuff to use. It forms a gasket-in-place, cures without exposure to air, releases and shears without heat when you go to remove the nib unit. He says that there's enough for 15 pens - that makes it about $1/pen, which is pretty cheap when you get the right material instead of what ever will do.

...and yes, I do use a two part silicone rubber compound when I seal a Montblanc. Not this specific stuff, but essentially the same.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Having bought a lot of stuff from abroad, the price for international shipping doesn't seem too bad to me. It may be slightly to the high side, but not really outrageous.

Also, consider that eBay takes its share of that. There was a time when eBay fees were based solely on the product's price, but now they tax the shipping costs, too.

Edited by Vlad Soare

It does look the part.

If you compare the shipping price with what it will actually cost to post, I think you will find it's quite high. I have had bottles of ink posted from Germany for less than €5

Maybe. But if you factor in the packaging, driving to the post office, etc., plus eBay's share, the difference is not that great. I've seen worse. :)

Maybe. But if you factor in the packaging, driving to the post office, etc., plus eBay's share, the difference is not that great. I've seen worse. :)

Maybe....but only the postage and the packaging can be included in P&P. The rest has to go on the start price. Not that it makes any difference now as ebay charge their fees on the whole payment

Edited by Chrissy

shipping costs aside :rolleyes: I am curious to know if anyone has used this and if so how long ago. There are literally 100's of sealants, twin pack, single pack, rtv types etc, on the market and the long term effects on the resin are what concerns me as the job of actually making the threaded section ink tight can be done by most sealants I should imagine.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

But this one at least looks like the genuine article. So it might be worth an investment if you regularly remove Mb nib units from sections and then reassemble them

The primary properties are that it releases and has a low shear strength, so lets go when the nib unit is unscrewed. It is not an RTV silicone that acts as an adhesive, which you decidedly do not want. It does not need air to cure as an RTV does, and does not release acetic acid as it cures.

The rosin based thread sealant that is frequently used and that I sell is the stuff that was used by pen manufacturers going back to the 30s. It has a rather long track record and is safe.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 2 months later...

i was wondering if anyone too the plunge with this? if so what are the results like as I'm quite tempted to buy it as i have a leaking Thomas Mann and 149 that needs the section sealed.

Sorry for the Zombie post!!

Edited by jamesgibby

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

i was wondering if anyone too the plunge with this?

I'm planning to bid--again! I've been outbid everytime. I'm not sure why the seller doens't just do a Dutch auction with a set price.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

But it is precisely the right stuff to use. It forms a gasket-in-place, cures without exposure to air, releases and shears without heat when you go to remove the nib unit. He says that there's enough for 15 pens - that makes it about $1/pen, which is pretty cheap when you get the right material instead of what ever will do.

...and yes, I do use a two part silicone rubber compound when I seal a Montblanc. Not this specific stuff, but essentially the same.

Being new to this stuff i have a quick question. Why does sealing mont blanc necessitate the use of sealant when its ok for pelikan to leave it bare when screwing in the nib unit?

Being new to this stuff i have a quick question. Why does sealing mont blanc necessitate the use of sealant when its ok for pelikan to leave it bare when screwing in the nib unit?

Good point. Can whip Pelikan units in and out numerous times without any issues.

Yes you do need a true 'artisan' to unscrew and refit a nib unit dont you :)

Perhaps Mb just don't like the idea of users unscrewing their nib unit's in and out numerous times

I remember reading a post from Ron Zorn where he wrote that some professional repairers would use shellac on pens like the Parker 51 and the Vacumatics so that people could not start taking the pen apart out of curiosity and thus ruining the pro servicing that had been done.

I've used both Ron Zorn's Sheaffer section sealant and pure silicone grease on my MB pens and haven't had a leak yet.

I'm not sure how a MB would act without any kind of sealant like on the Pelikan nib unit.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

The newer MB 149s with two piece barrels have two joints where the pen can leak onto the exterior of the pen: between the nib unit and the section and between the section and the barrel. The single piece barrel 149s and the Pelikans that I am familiar with do not have these joints, so they don't need to be sealed. In both cases the nib unit is enclosed within the section.