The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bubble Gum Pink Sealant Mystery Solved ?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:28

As those of us who 'mess about' (Mrs Pen Nuts term) with their MB's the sealant on the nib units of 146/149 pens has always seemed to remain unknown as to what it actually is and members use their own methods of sealing. I have used beeswax in the past and it seems to work.

Has anyone tried the product which is linked below ?  If so what results have been acheived ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...8#ht_7201wt_958

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Sponsored Content

#2 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:57

Well, it certainly looks the part.

No, never used it, myself. Used wax and a clear silicon sealant.

The postage seems a bit severe, but it's a tempting item.

Thanks

Edited by CS388, 24 October 2014 - 11:00.

#3 gwyneddd

gwyneddd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:06

No, I mixed up some rosin and castor oil. The shipping is cray-cray. I'd like to try it, however. It looks right.  Wish those tools and the sealer were not so pricey. I made my own tool and it was very crude. But it worked. 

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 7,971 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 13:55

But it is precisely the right stuff to use.  It forms a gasket-in-place, cures without exposure to air, releases and shears without heat when you go to remove the nib unit.  He says that there's enough for 15 pens - that makes it about $1/pen, which is pretty cheap when you get the right material instead of what ever will do.

...and yes, I do use a two part silicone rubber compound when I seal a Montblanc.  Not this specific stuff, but essentially the same.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 2,862 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 17:58

I have seen worse, for international shipping. That's not too awful.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#6 Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:18

Having bought a lot of stuff from abroad, the price for international shipping doesn't seem too bad to me. It may be slightly to the high side, but not really outrageous.

Also, consider that eBay takes its share of that. There was a time when eBay fees were based solely on the product's price, but now they tax the shipping costs, too.

Edited by Vlad Soare, 25 October 2014 - 10:21.

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:41

It does look the part.

If you compare the shipping price with what it will actually cost to post, I think you will find it's quite high. I have had bottles of ink posted from Germany for less than €5

flying-letter-exc.png

#8 Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:49

Maybe. But if you factor in the packaging, driving to the post office, etc., plus eBay's share, the difference is not that great. I've seen worse. :)

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:19

Maybe. But if you factor in the packaging, driving to the post office, etc., plus eBay's share, the difference is not that great. I've seen worse. :)

Maybe....but only the postage and the packaging can be included in P&P. The rest has to go on the start price. Not that it makes any difference now as ebay charge their fees on the whole payment

Edited by Chrissy, 25 October 2014 - 12:20.

flying-letter-exc.png

#10 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• 6,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:29

shipping costs aside :rolleyes: I am curious to know if anyone has used this and if so how long ago. There are literally 100's of sealants, twin pack, single pack, rtv types etc, on the market and the long term effects on the resin are what concerns me as the job of actually making the threaded section ink tight can be done by most sealants I should imagine.

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:50

But this one at least looks like the genuine article. So it might be worth an investment if you regularly remove Mb nib units from sections and then reassemble them

flying-letter-exc.png

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 7,971 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:55

The primary properties are that it releases and has a low shear strength, so lets go when the nib unit is unscrewed.  It is not an RTV silicone that acts as an adhesive, which you decidedly do not want.  It does not need air to cure as an RTV does, and does not release acetic acid as it cures.

The rosin based thread sealant that is frequently used and that I sell is the stuff that was used by pen manufacturers going back to the 30s.  It has a rather long track record and is safe.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#13 jamesgibby

jamesgibby

Vintage

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 13:17

i was wondering if anyone too the plunge with this? if so what are the results like as I'm quite tempted to buy it as i have a leaking Thomas Mann and 149 that needs the section sealed.

Sorry for the Zombie post!!

Edited by jamesgibby, 01 January 2015 - 13:58.

Montblanc Copernicus 4810, J.P Morgan 4810
Montblanc Writers Edition:  Hemingway,  Proust, Dickens,  Mann,  Twain,  Swift
Montblanc 149 1986, 75th 1924 LE, 90th Anniversary  
Montblanc 146 Solitaire: Hematite, Gold & Black, Silver Fibre Guilloche
Montblanc Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib
Montblanc Starwalker FP & RB

Want to Buy MB 139 , 138  136  134  132  234 1/2L & 149 Silver Rings

#14 Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 15:58

i was wondering if anyone too the plunge with this?

I'm planning to bid--again!  I've been outbid everytime.  I'm not sure why the seller doens't just do a Dutch auction with a set price. 

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

#15 Bringiton

Bringiton

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:11

But it is precisely the right stuff to use.  It forms a gasket-in-place, cures without exposure to air, releases and shears without heat when you go to remove the nib unit.  He says that there's enough for 15 pens - that makes it about $1/pen, which is pretty cheap when you get the right material instead of what ever will do.

...and yes, I do use a two part silicone rubber compound when I seal a Montblanc.  Not this specific stuff, but essentially the same.

Being new to this stuff i have a quick question. Why does sealing mont blanc necessitate the use of sealant when its ok for pelikan to leave it bare when screwing in the nib unit?

#16 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• 6,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:55

Being new to this stuff i have a quick question. Why does sealing mont blanc necessitate the use of sealant when its ok for pelikan to leave it bare when screwing in the nib unit?

Good point. Can whip Pelikan units in and out numerous times without any issues.

#17 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:02

Perhaps Mb just don't like the idea of users unscrewing their nib unit's in and out numerous times

flying-letter-exc.png

#18 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

• Member - Gold

• 6,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 15:42

Yes you do need a true 'artisan' to unscrew and refit a nib unit dont you :)

#19 Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2015 - 15:55

Perhaps Mb just don't like the idea of users unscrewing their nib unit's in and out numerous times

I remember reading a post from Ron Zorn where he wrote that some professional repairers would use shellac on pens like the Parker 51 and the Vacumatics so that people could not start taking the pen apart out of curiosity and thus ruining the pro servicing that had been done.

I've used both Ron Zorn's Sheaffer section sealant and pure silicone grease on my MB pens and haven't had a leak yet.

I'm not sure how a MB would act without any kind of sealant like on the Pelikan nib unit.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.
--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

#20 entertainment

entertainment

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 22:06

The newer MB 149s with two piece barrels have two joints where the pen can leak onto the exterior of the pen: between the nib unit and the section and between the section and the barrel.  The single piece barrel 149s and the Pelikans that I am familiar with do not have these joints, so they don't need to be sealed.  In both cases the nib unit is enclosed within the section.

Sponsored Content

|