The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Perplexed By Arrow-Less Parker 61

parker 61 arrow hood

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:30

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of a Rage Red Parker 61, made in England, with capillary filler unit and glorious rainbow cap.

It has no arrow - but also, no space for the arrow. The hood is completely smooth. The hood colour matches the barrel perfectly.

Was there an arrowless variant?

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 18:05

I have seen P61s that have been smoothed out when they have lost their arrow and the owner didnt want the recess in the hood.

Perhaps yours is the same?

Straight roads do not make skilled drivers

#3 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,099 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:41

I have seen P61s that have been smoothed out when they have lost their arrow and the owner didnt want the recess in the hood.Perhaps yours is the same?

I think you might be right!

In a strong light, there's an incredibly feint outline of an arrow... Thankyou! Puzzle solved.

Instagram @inkysloth 

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:08

On a related note, I am waiting for a 61 I won on Ebay the other night.  It also is missing the arrow.  Any clue how much one would run me?  And the best adhesive to reattach it?  I don't want to damage the hood (and there may be, according to the seller, some "hairline" cracks in the barrel besides).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:47

The only arrows I have seen for sale in the last year have been from Kullock, and they were around $15 each + postage for the chrome ones. I have not seen gold coloured ones for sale this year (though I have not been looking hard).

As for adhesive...

Epoxy works, but you will need to abrade the back of the arrow, clean it perfectly and pick out the old adhesive & abrade the hood under the arrow. Even so, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to get it to go flush on the hood however little adhesive you use. Superglue is thin enough to get it flush, but won't last as long as epoxy.

Regards,

Richard

#6 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:21

Has anyone tried E6000 for gluing small metal & plastic things together?

http://www.creativeb...rength-glue.asp

I'm not going to be putting an arrow on my arrowless 61 because it's been buffed down to smooth, but if I come across another I might give it a try.

Instagram @inkysloth 

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:28

Once upon a time I tried to replace an arrow in a Parker 61 section.

Despite having infinite patience with tasks like this I failed to get the replacement arrow into the slot.

Be warned, it is not simple or straightforward even if you are able to remove all traces of glue and get it really clean, like I did.

There was just no way that a new arrow would fit into the slot on the section

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 61, arrow, hood

Sponsored Content

|