M200 Mold Lines?

zuhandensein

Mask the threads before taking your Dremmel to it.

With jewelers rouge and then semi-chrome you should be able to get it back to properly polished.

Just finger polishing is not going to get rid of those lines.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zuhandensein

• Bo Bo Olson

• risingsun

• Matlock

Oh no, those "never noticed" mold lines have now reduced by 75% the value of my M200 and M400 pens. Garbage they go then... lol

PS: My white tortoise M400 doesn't have mold lines (that I can see).

Thank you very much for your comments. Both have been very useful.

It didn't know that the nib could be disassembled and assembled again. I have found some pictures, and it seems that could be probably easy to do so, but I did not try myself. I have contacted Pelikan. They said that it would take 4-6 weeks...

I am still considering what to do. I bought the pen from Amazon, so I will probably go for an exchange.

There is another circumstance that makes me feel tired with this kind of issues. I have received today a grip section that I bought for a Parker Sonnet that had its gold trim corroded and... yes! a nice pair of mould lines there as well. I am very disappointed, as the original old section has no lines at all. So sad.

I will try to polish this section and, eventually, the whole body of the Sonnet. It really needs it.

Anyway. I will forget about fountain pens for a while... After a few disappointing experiences, my conclusion after all is that this is, at the end, a interesting hobby for people that can spend time and money on it, which is not —unfortunately— my case.

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Thank you very much for your comments. Both have been very useful.

It didn't know that the nib could be disassembled and assembled again. I have found some pictures, and it seems that could be probably easy to do so, but I did not try myself. I have contacted Pelikan. They said that it would take 4-6 weeks...

I am still considering what to do. I bought the pen from Amazon, so I will probably go for an exchange.

There is another circumstance that makes me feel tired with this kind of issues. I have received today a grip section that I bought for a Parker Sonnet that had its gold trim corroded and... yes! a nice pair of mould lines there as well. I am very disappointed, as the original old section has no lines at all. So sad.

I will try to polish this section and, eventually, the whole body of the Sonnet. It really needs it.

Anyway. I will forget about fountain pens for a while... After a few disappointing experiences, my conclusion after all is that this is, at the end, a interesting hobby for people that can spend time and money on it, which is not —unfortunately— my case.

How sad. I have a 1983 Parker 75 with mold lines so there is nothing new.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

How sad. I have a 1983 Parker 75 with mold lines so there is nothing new.

I cannot talk about a 75 myself. It was probably my fault to talk about a Sonnet here because this is a Pelikan forum. But I feel the need to explain the word "sad" that I used, anyway:

My Sonnet was made at the end of the 90s (IP, 1997 I think), and I had another one of the same years that I lost, where no mould lines were present either.

If you were able to do something consistently well more than 15 years ago, and today you cannot finish the same product at the same standard... It does not matter to me if the problem is technical or economical... It is sad. As simple as that.

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris