The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Need Help Identifying This Conklin

conklin flexible identification

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:49

My friend got this pen from a flea market seller some time ago and gave it to me. He said he paid 100 dollars for it and it is a very nice pen in superb condition( wear is almost non existent and the color really is amazing in-person). The dimensions are 5 inches capped, 4.6 from nib to end, 3.9 from section to end, and the barrel is 3.4 inches long. The lever is a half an inch long and says "PAT.NOV.17.1925" and the clip says "Conklin PAT 5-38-1916" the imprint says "TRADEConklinMARK" and underneath "Toledo, Ohio, USA. The nib says Conklin 2 toledo and goes from a really wet fine/medium to a 3mm flexed point. Attached are some pictures of it and the pen n comparison to a pilot varsity and a fpr guru and triveni. Thanks a lot in advance for the help!IMG_20141022_200606.jpg IMG_20141022_201240.jpg IMG_20141022_201309.jpg IMG_20141022_201315.jpg IMG_20141022_204156.jpg IMG_20141022_204317.jpg

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

Sponsored Content

#2 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:15

An early low end Conklin ( the clip setting confirms this) oft described as simply a sub Endura Symetrik model. While looking very similar the high end Endura Symetrik this is a shorter, slimmer pen with a smaller nib. Your friends pen is a very good example and certainly worth the price. This model is often seen with damage around where the lever pivots as the plastic where the lever pin sits is fairly thin so do exercise a degree of caution when filling to avoid excess pressure on the weak point 

#3 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2014 - 13:37

An early low end Conklin ( the clip setting confirms this) oft described as simply a sub Endura Symetrik model. While looking very similar the high end Endura Symetrik this is a shorter, slimmer pen with a smaller nib. Your friends pen is a very good example and certainly worth the price. This model is often seen with damage around where the lever pivots as the plastic where the lever pin sits is fairly thin so do exercise a degree of caution when filling to avoid excess pressure on the weak point 

I told him and he says he wants to sell it because he rarely uses it, what do you think he should sell it for? Also do you think it is full flex or wet noodle? It snaps back very quickly and flexes much much better than my FPR flex pens even after grinding the sides off.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

#4 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:08

Here is a writing sample- That is pushing it pretty far but not dangerously far.

Attached Images

• IMG_20141026_130132.jpg

#5 Dave Glass

Dave Glass

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:13

Conklin generally referred to pens like this as the "350" model, reflecting the price in the mid-30s. You sometime find similar pens that are imprinted Endura with little to differentiate them from the value-brand 350.
Your example is fitted with a #2 nib from the crescent-filler era. You can immediately recognize the extra flex of the nib by the long slant from shoulder to tip. The firm nibs of the mid 20s and later (designed to be more capable with carbon paper) were much shorter from shoulder to tip. It is an incorrect nib for your pen, but probably one deliberately chosen for flex writing. $100 is a pretty good buy for someone who wants a wet noodle writer mounted in a reliable, nice looking, lever-filling pen.

#6 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:35

The '30-'31 catalog still has crescent fillers listed, as well as the $2.75 range carrying the no. 2 nib. Certainly the $3.50 price point was used for a long time and the '33 catalog shows this line ( not color though) with and without the low clip setting ( $6.60 set , $3.85 pen) . I agree with Dave the nib isn't standard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conklin, flexible, identification

Sponsored Content

|