The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Asa Athlete

indian pens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deepak23

deepak23

Sittin-on-a-gate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:41

The ASA Athlete

Got a shiny black athlete recently from ASA Pens last week. This is a 'in-house' attempt by the Chennai based pen seller ASA Pens.

The pen is well proportioned and is really well balanced to hold and write. The cap is very nice fit and sits flush with the body. The only grouse is that the cap is a single start thread and it takes a number of turns to get it open. The plus is that the ASA logo lines up perfectly with the clip. The clip is tight and grips well. The cap posts with a little bit of play. However the barrel is quite long and allows for comfortable writing even without posting.

The nib is an unmarked one and it writes a wet line with a F to M line (around 0.5mm). The nib is a wet writer and writes pretty smooth on good paper. On normal paper the nib is wee bit scratchy (Have not attempted a polishing yet, but will do so if it continues). The nib is a bit of a temperamental starter especially if starting with flourishes or curves (C, G etc). Well behaved when starting with vertical lines. This could be due to the fact that the nib protrudes quite a bit from the feed. Filled with Chelpark Royal Blue (near identical to older Quinks).

The feed is ebonite and is friction fitted.

The section has a large number of fine threads that allows safe use as an Eye Dropper pen. The barrel holds a fair amount of ink.

In all a great pen, except for the small grouse with the temperamental nib. I hope ASA decides to do the pen with an option of the JoWo nib like in the Gamas at some point in the future.

Final ratings

Design and appearance - 5/5 (Its a eye turner)

Build - 5/5 (Solidly built)

Nib and Performance - 3.5/5 (Good typical performance, sadly not the best)

Overall - 4.5/5 (A good VFM buy)

(Sorry for the lack of pictures, but the ASA website has good photos. Will try to post pics soon).

{Edited to add ink used}

Edited by deepak23, 22 October 2014 - 12:29.

A lifelong FP user...

Sponsored Content

#2 LamyOne

LamyOne

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:59

Hello Deepak23,

This is amazing!  I was just talking with Hari about this very pen.  :D  Yes, from the pictures at the ASA site, it is a real stunner; I'm still trying to decide on a color.  I am a little concerned about hearing that it can be a "tricky starter," what ink are you using and have you tried other inks?  (Sometimes, the ink can make a difference with start-up problems). 

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne, 22 October 2014 - 11:00.

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

#3 deepak23

deepak23

Sittin-on-a-gate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:26

Chris,

I have inked it up with a Chelpark Royal Blue (this is a thin slightly under saturated ink similar to Quink) which probable explains the wetness of the line. The starting trouble (to borrow automobile jargon) is not very pronounced and if you have a slightly firm hand this will not be apparent. I have a very light hand and a fast starting stroke and I face trouble on most Pelikans and Kawecos too.

I was torn between the mottled brown and the black. Finally played it safe (I have far too many mottled ebonite pens :rolleyes:).

I would recommend it. (Truth be told, this is the least temperamental of all IPG marked nibs I have :) )

Cheers,

Deepak

A lifelong FP user...

#4 mrmohitmishra

mrmohitmishra

The curious enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:12

I did not have any issue with the start ups. Did you examine the tines and filled it the way an eyedropper should be, I mean , reversing it and getting a few drops out. Did you wash it before you inked it?

#5 deepak23

deepak23

Sittin-on-a-gate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 14:08

Mrmohitmishra, am not really a newbie. Tried all usual stunts before losing my patience. Asa's Subramaniam was ready to replace the nib, but had to send the pen back to him. Didn't want another trial, so the pen now sports a Schmidt F...

A lifelong FP user...

#6 mrmohitmishra

mrmohitmishra

The curious enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 14:37

Mrmohitmishra, am not really a newbie. Tried all usual stunts before losing my patience. Asa's Subramaniam was ready to replace the nib, but had to send the pen back to him. Didn't want another trial, so the pen now sports a Schmidt F...

Okk. I did not mean any offence. 

Edited by mrmohitmishra, 08 December 2014 - 14:37.

#7 deepak23

deepak23

Sittin-on-a-gate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 15:05

None taken. Didnt mean to sound prickly. Have 40+ eyedropper pens and have experienced most troubles..

A lifelong FP user...

#8 mrmohitmishra

mrmohitmishra

The curious enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 15:10

Sorry for double post

Edited by mrmohitmishra, 08 December 2014 - 15:24.

#9 mrmohitmishra

mrmohitmishra

The curious enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 15:23

None taken. Didnt mean to sound prickly. Have 40+ eyedropper pens and have experienced most troubles..

I know. I am a newbie compared to folks round here.

I ordered Crystal LE with a German nib cause I found the nib to be not as sturdy but otherwise it wrote
really well.

Some other people had similar experience like you had. It appears that nib is not consistent.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indian pens

Sponsored Content

|