Cross Peerless 125

rh968

Thanks for your input, MrThoth and would love to see your detailed review.....

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• jebib111

• ArchiMark

• INAHON Sp. z o.o.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was intrigued by the pictures on the Cross website, but I wanted to see it in person. After reading this thread I was convinced it was going to be too big for me (I tend to prefer pens with barrels less than 0.5 inches in diameter), but I was wrong. I didn't care for the balance posted (and it posts firmly with a snapping/clicking sound) but I liked it unposted. I spent some time in the store switching back and forth between the medium and the fine and the black and the platinum plated, before deciding on the platinum plated with a fine nib.

In summary, I'd say that viewed alone, it looks bigger than it is, but in the hand it feels smaller than it is. I took some photos for size comparison. I lined them up from shortest to longest by sight. Please excuse the blurry posted one.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics with other pens for scale. I've seen the website pics, but there is no perspective.

post-81236-0-49868400-1434849669_thumb.jpg

Pelikan M101N, Pelikan 400NN, Cross Signature, Cross Peerless 125, Waterman Carene, Pilot Custom 823

post-81236-0-87993500-1434849848_thumb.jpg

Posted from shortest to longest: Pelikan 400NN, Waterman Carene, Cross Signature, Pelikan M101N, Cross Peerless 125, and Pilot Custom 823

And finally capped: Pelikan M101N, Pelikan 400NN, Sharpie, Cross Signature, Cross Peerless 125, Waterman Carene, Pilot Custom 823

post-81236-0-48449900-1434849832_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Angela....

Thanks for sharing.....

And good timing too as I just received the same pen except with the M nib......

Feels great in the hand and writes beautifully.....

Very pleased with this handsome pen.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed using my Peerless with a broad nib. It's a superb writer, I really like the size, shape and proportions, and I got it for a very reasonable price. My only issue with the pen? I like posting caps on my pens, and while the cap posts very securely on this one, it's scuffing and marking the polished metal barrel end. I wish put the engraving on that area too...it looks nice polished, significantly less so when it's all scuffed up.

Sorry to hear that, Vicary....

This is why I never ever post pens......see no advantage to posting and only disadvantages.......

Just my 2¢..........

On www.nibs.com I read that it takes standard cartridges (like Pelikan). Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks for sharing these ads, Angela....

They don't make 'em like they used to.......

:)

• 1 month later...

I bought the all Platinum FP version and immediately fell in love with it. What a truly great pen! In fact I was so pleased with it that I bought the black lacquer (Obsidian) version as well a few days ago to have two of these marvellous writers readily at hand with different inks. Both are medium, which are ideal for me (I'd call them medium-fine here in Europe).

I have several Sailor pens and I know what Sailor stands for when it comes to nibs, I know that very well indeed: sheer nib excellence.

I cannot agree when people call these pens overpriced. I strongly believe they are not overpriced at all, at least not in Europe, where the Platinum Peerless 125 costs 350,00 EUR and the black lacquer 25,00 EUR less (that is a bit cheaper over here than in the U.S.A. I believe). You get a very well-made, luxury pen with an air-tight cap and a superb smooth nib that offers some nice line variation and gives the needed (at least for me) non-obtrusive feedback, no skipping, no matter how fast you write, no bad starts. I really cannot say anything really negative about it. Yes, it's no piston filler, but I can live with that.

At this price there's not much that matches this pen. Both the Platinum and the Obsidian have a sublime finish. I am not an avid fan of the rather bulky looks of this pen, but people, it writes so well and feels very ergonomic in my hand.

I have a Townsend that I am very pleased with too and I had high expectations for the Peerless is their top of the line. I was not disappointed. Highly recommended.

Apart from the Sailors my favourite pens are: Waterman Man 100 Patrician and all of the Pelikan M-series (don't have the M1000 though - nib is too big for me, it keeps my fingers too far from the paper).

I bought the all Platinum FP version and immediately fell in love with it. What a truly great pen! In fact I was so pleased with it that I bought the black lacquer (Obsidian) version as well a few days ago to have two of these marvellous writers readily at hand with different inks. Both are medium, which are ideal for me (I'd call them medium-fine here in Europe).

I have several Sailor pens and I know what Sailor stands for when it comes to nibs, I know that very well indeed: sheer nib excellence.

I cannot agree when people call these pens overpriced. I strongly believe they are not overpriced at all, at least not in Europe, where the Platinum Peerless 125 costs 350,00 EUR and the black lacquer 25,00 EUR less (that is a bit cheaper over here than in the U.S.A. I believe). You get a very well-made, luxury pen with an air-tight cap and a superb smooth nib that offers some nice line variation and gives the needed (at least for me) non-obtrusive feedback, no skipping, no matter how fast you write, no bad starts. I really cannot say anything really negative about it. Yes, it's no piston filler, but I can live with that.

At this price there's not much that matches this pen. Both the Platinum and the Obsidian have a sublime finish. I am not an avid fan of the rather bulky looks of this pen, but people, it writes so well and feels very ergonomic in my hand.

I have a Townsend that I am very pleased with too and I had high expectations for the Peerless is their top of the line. I was not disappointed. Highly recommended.

Apart from the Sailors my favourite pens are: Waterman Man 100 Patrician and all of the Pelikan M-series (don't have the M1000 though - nib is too big for me, it keeps my fingers too far from the paper).

Line variation in a medium nib? I'd like to see some writing samples.

I have a Townsend with a BB nib which is stub like its qualities and which I think is brilliant. So perhaps a peerless might be a good buy for me... :)

Well said.....

:thumbup:

Line variation in a medium nib? I'd like to see some writing samples.

I have a Townsend with a BB nib which is stub like its qualities and which I think is brilliant. So perhaps a peerless might be a good buy for me... :)

FWIW, I sent both my Peerless's (one with M and other with B nib...) to Masuyama to make them cursive italic.....you won't get much line variation with stock nibs.....

Remember these are really Sailor nibs made for Cross....and they're great nibs....

• 4 months later...

Sorry to hear that, Vicary....

This is why I never ever post pens......see no advantage to posting and only disadvantages.......

Just my 2¢..........

+1

Large pens should not be posted. Period.

I do not agree completely with your opinion. Having seen and tried the Peerless I still firmly believe that it is overpriced. Ok, it's a metal pen with some plating (ridiculous to claim that three microns of gold plating qualifies as 'heavy') but it lacks heft - it feels like a plastic pen. I would love to see the Peerless in sterling silver but Cross have a strategy of maximising their profits while offering less to the consumer. They dropped sterling silver from the Townsend line up and also the beautiful 18k rolled gold model because they were too expensive to manufacture to enable them to reach the profit targets they wanted. For the Peerless they've come up with a lightweight pen with a thin plating of gold and an even thinner one of platinum.

The top of the range gold model is priced at $575 now (up from $550) and this price is just absurd.

On the other hand, yes, the nib is fantastic, but then this is a Sailor nib, not one made by Cross.

Edited by Tancred

Overpriced is a relative term. Overpriced relative to the other overpriced pens? The problem with selling fountain pens has never been the markup, it's been the volume. And as long as we, yes please include me, respectfully, are willing/eager to pay the prices we pay, they will keep selling what they sell. And I can't wait!!!!

La Couronne du Comte is actually the cheapest shop in the European Union for the Cross Peerless FP, and, as it is SBRE Brown's favourite pen shop, if you use the coupon BROWN10 you also get an extra 10% off!

I just bit the bullet on a Gold Peerless FP and managed to get it for €355.50 (£264 or $391 plus currency exchange charges) including courier delivery to the UK. Not a bad deal.

At that price it might even be of interest to American buyers.

Edited by Tancred

Has anyone noticed that the shape of the section appears quite similar to the YOL Grand? The barrel appears just a little shorter. The Grand would be heavier due to its solid silver content, so those who want a lighter pen should be satisfied. The Grand feels very comfortable in my hand; I imagine the unposted Peerless would fit just as well.

Has anyone noticed that the shape of the section appears quite similar to the YOL Grand? The barrel appears just a little shorter. The Grand would be heavier due to its solid silver content, so those who want a lighter pen should be satisfied. The Grand feels very comfortable in my hand; I imagine the unposted Peerless would fit just as well.

The Peerless is 43g, which is light for a metal pen. Unfortunately I am a lover of heavy pens but the Sailor nib persuaded me to make the purchase in the end.

The barrel is 127mm including nib, so on a par with the Parker Duofold Centennial. I would prefer a longer barrel but the thick girth of the pen should make it comfortable to hold.

Edited by Tancred

• 1 month later...

The Peerless is 43g, which is light for a metal pen. Unfortunately I am a lover of heavy pens but the Sailor nib persuaded me to make the purchase in the end.

The barrel is 127mm including nib, so on a par with the Parker Duofold Centennial. I would prefer a longer barrel but the thick girth of the pen should make it comfortable to hold.

Last year I saw the Peerless at the LA Pen Show, but to be hones, I was so enthusiastic about so many other things I did not have the time to put one in hand. And i am a big Cross fan, and always puzzled as to why Cross is undervalued, at least in the USA. it was a good thing though, as I accumulated my hoard when cross was still affordable on the 'bay.

This year, I had two adjustments as my goal at the show, and did not intend to buy. Again, I like the Peerless and the Special Editions by eye, but the time I was able to sit down and write.

I wold like the Townsend more if it was fatter, but I really like Townsends. The light weight of the Peerless was for me a big turn off. I quickly lost all interest.

I did end up with my my second Urusei pen before leaving. I very much like a number of light weight pens. But somehow the Peerless confounded my expectations.

I really would like to like it! Lets see what time will do.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Once again, the information in this forum is just what the Dr. ordered. I've been intrigued by the Peerless since it came out. I was originally a little turned off by the girth coupled with the fairly light weight, but they've been growing on me. I finally got a chance to really play with one today and it captured my fancy. I picked up the Tokyo Special Edition with a medium nib. Love the chasing in the black finish. I'm normally a broad/stub nib guy, but I liked the flow in the medium and it gives good line variation. Like all Sailor nibs, it flows flawlessly and starts up like a dream. I'll confess that I didn't realize that Sailor provided nibs for the Peerless until I read this thread. After a few hours use, I'm really happy with pen. I'll try to post more feedback and pictures after a few days of use. If you've been thinking about picking up a Peerless, just do it! I'm sure you'll be happy you didn't!

Once again, the information in this forum is just what the Dr. ordered. I've been intrigued by the Peerless since it came out. I was originally a little turned off by the girth coupled with the fairly light weight, but they've been growing on me. I finally got a chance to really play with one today and it captured my fancy. I picked up the Tokyo Special Edition with a medium nib. Love the chasing in the black finish. I'm normally a broad/stub nib guy, but I liked the flow in the medium and it gives good line variation. Like all Sailor nibs, it flows flawlessly and starts up like a dream. I'll confess that I didn't realize that Sailor provided nibs for the Peerless until I read this thread. After a few hours use, I'm really happy with pen. I'll try to post more feedback and pictures after a few days of use. If you've been thinking about picking up a Peerless, just do it! I'm sure you'll be happy you didn't!

Congrats, John, on joining the Peerless 125 club!

As you now attest, these are great pens.....

Please note that as far as I know, the Peerless 125 is the only Cross pen that Sailor has provided nibs for.

Enjoy!

Mark