The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Silicone Grease Alternative?

eyedropper pilot parallel silicone grease converter ink pen

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 13:01

No, I've seen pictures of paraffin, and it was thick (a surprise) and not kerosene.

Perhaps it has been thickened to a grease.

All I have is mineral oil which is thin. I plan to get British paraffin before I start recorking pens.

It is not rubbed on the pen, the fitted cork is boiled in a very small tin on the stove; a mixture of 1/2 I think, paraffin and bees wax, before putting it on the piston. Then slather it with 100% pure silicon grease.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 15 February 2017 - 13:02.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#102 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 14:34

In the US paraffin wax is used for candles and sealing jam.  What the UK calls paraffin oil we call lamp oil.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#103 shea2812

shea2812

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 15:15

I use silicone that I acquired from a watchmakers' supplier that is meant for watch gaskets.

#104 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2017 - 15:28

Any plumbers or hardware store should see you ok for silicone grease or you can buy small tins on ebay or from these guys maybe I would not use anything else tbh.

http://www.indy-pen-...one-Grease.html

I looked for silicone grease in my friendly local Lowes' (and my friendly local Home Depot) -- the stuff they were selling was NOT 100% silicone.  I even looked into a local plumbing supply, but they couldn't tell me for sure that the stuff they were selling was 100% silicone -- even AFTER contacting the place they were ordering from.

I bought my container of silicone grease several years ago from Goulet Pens.  I've used it a bit, but still have most of the container (and Ron has assured me that I was using *way* too much per application).  I suspect that getting some from any reputable pen dealer/pen repair place (like GPC, or from Ron, or Indy-Pen-Dance, or wherever) is the safest option.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#105 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,290 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 18:59

Good to know Ron, but it's easier for me in Germany to get it from England....come the day. :) 

Could even look around in Germany....not that I expect to find any.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#106 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2017 - 15:46

Would White Lithium grease work as well?  I'm just curious because I happen to have that on-hand.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#107 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 17:48

About as well as (as Bruce Barge used to put it) hydrogenated yack squeeze.

Lithium grease contains petroleum products, so not recommended. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#108 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:09

About as well as (as Bruce Barge used to put it) hydrogenated yack squeeze.

Lithium grease contains petroleum products, so not recommended. 

Where can I get hydrogenated yack squeeze these days? I've been looking for it and none of the pen stores or on-line vendors seem to have any :sick: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#109 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:32

Where can I get hydrogenated yack squeeze these days? I've been looking for it and none of the pen stores or on-line vendors seem to have any :sick: .

You can't get it there anymore... government regulations, you see... now you have to ask a congenial yak.

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper, pilot parallel, silicone grease, converter, ink, pen

Sponsored Content

|