The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Recommendation Please! (Iron Gall Look-Alike)

iron gall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mkim

Mkim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:18

Hi everyone!

I've recently been interested in Iron-Gall ink colours...but I can't seem to hold my breathe and put them in my FPs...

So my question to you is:

What is the closest iron-gall like colour ink you know of? (without having any iron-gall content!)

Only one I can think of is the MB midnight blue... 

*I love that strange subdued  slight purple/blue-black look that seems to jump right off the page!

Thank you!

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:31

How about Diamine Denim?  It's a very nice blue-black that doesn't tinge green/teal like so many of them do.  Or Diamine Eclipse, which is almost black when it goes down?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:42

I'll second Ruth's recommendations.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#4 Mkim

Mkim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:47

How about Diamine Denim?  It's a very nice blue-black that doesn't tinge green/teal like so many of them do.  Or Diamine Eclipse, which is almost black when it goes down?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I bought them both actually lol but I found that the...

1. denim - no purple tinge at all

2. Eclipse - pretty much black! and very little blue in there 

#5 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:18

Get some IG and be happy?  If you're worried about it messing up a nice pen, get a cheap pen.  A Pilot Metro or 78G is a nice writing pen that most wouldn't be crushed if it got gunked up.  (And they come apart to clean.)  Or a Preppy.

Don't fear the IG!

I may ink up my first fountain pen with it tonight, in fact.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:34

Sailor Jentle Blue.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 Oldane

Oldane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:06

Pelikan Blueblack is the closest to a classic I-G blueblack that I know of. That goes for the color, flow and lubrication. 

That said, dont fear genuine I-G inks in modern formulations. Diamine Registrars, ESS Registrars and Akkermann #10 are quite "heavy duty" (high I-G content and prone to sedimentation) but Rohrer and Klingner Salix is perfectly benign and in addition has excellent properties in the pen and on the paper. Also, if you ever come across a reasonably priced NOS bottle of the old Montblanc Blueblack (from before the first version of Midnight Blue), buy it - it's great ink.

#8 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 15:15

Akkerman Voorhout Violet is VERY similar color wise to Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa.

I have Scabiosa in a sample (from Goulet) in my M205 right now with no issues. Also ran it through my True Writer Silver Anniversary with no problems. A bottle of same will be my next ink purchase.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:01

The easiest and cheapest is Parker Blue black which, by the way, is a very reliable ink!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:44

The easiest and cheapest is Parker Blue black which, by the way, is a very reliable ink!

Note that I as well as many others here have very often said that Parker's (as well as Waterman's) "Blue-Black" is IOO by no means a "blue-black" but rather a watered out turquoise-grey. Check out this 3-day-old thread

Ahoi!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#11 Oldane

Oldane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 19:46

Note that I as well as many others here have very often said that Parker's (as well as Waterman's) "Blue-Black" is IOO by no means a "blue-black" but rather a watered out turquoise-grey. Check out this 3-day-old thread

Ahoi!

Agree. 20 years ago I used Parker BB and back then it was indeed BB (not sure it was I-G though). Not so these days.

#12 BlazeOrangeGuy

BlazeOrangeGuy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 20:29

You mentioned that you like a slight purple blue/black. My mind instantly went to Lamy Blue/Black. It has some purple undertones and shades very nicely on smooth papers, esp. Rhodia. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall

Sponsored Content

|