The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Quing Dynasty - Mont Blanc

mont blanc quing dynasty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mrj10000

Mrj10000

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2014 - 23:24

I have been using my pens - mostly Mont Blanc - every day now for 25 years.

A few years ago I acquired a jade toped Quing Dynasty medium nib'd pen by accident but can never bring myself to dip it or use it and am thinking of selling it to someone who will actually use it.

I have never actually seen anyone sell one on ebay or anywhere else and wandered whether any of you avid pen lovers might have a realistic idea of what these pens are realistically worth in the market? What can I expect this to be worth if I decide to sell? I must assume that there is a market fort his type of limited edition pen out there?

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:26

Welcome to FPN !   

How did you do this "by accident" ?   Is the pen stilled in the box, with warranty papers ?   How much did you pay for it ?  

A Monteblanc enthusiast, who wants to use a really fine fountain pen, might pay 75% of that.  A collector, who loves expensive 

special editions might pay more.  (Nice jade cap.)

To be frank, we don't know anything about you.  You have no credentials as a dealer/seller.  One has to factor in the "risk". 

Sorry for the cold water.  Good luck.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:50

Hello and welcome. I'm glad you joined us. Forgive me, but I must echo Sasha's question: "How did you accidentally acquire such a pen?" I have been using fountain pens a good many years longer than 25 years and I have never acquired such a pen by accident, on purpose, or by illegal means - that is to say by any means. Please enlighten me (and I am certain there are others who would like to know how to accidentally acquire said pen or any pen). The value of that fountain pen, or any fountain pen, is like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. One fountain pen will always be more valuable to one person than it is to another. As to its "realistic market value": all that the market will bear and not one fraction of a cent less. Of course there is the question of whether or not the fountain pen is genuine . . .

You need not risk the fickleness of eBay. You may list the fountain pen here in The Classifieds forum for any price you think you might obtain (whether reasonable or not) once you have met the membership requirements. As you suggest, I should well imagine that the news that this fountain pen is available will have collectors of such fountain pens slobbering all over themselves. I am certain many will be seeking you out once they dry their slobber covered keyboards. I really do wish you the very best of luck.

Please don't hesitate to share your questions and opinions. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

-David.

Edited by estie1948, 22 October 2014 - 04:55.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#4 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:43

With all due respect, the OP's use of '...by accident' might have simply been a poor word choice. You might remember a while ago, someone posted in the forum that he/she found an Agatha Christie FP in a home from a lady who died - I'd say they acquired that pen 'by accident' too. FWIW, I've found that sometimes people choose their pens, while other times, pens find their way to their people...this might be a case of the latter. 

To the OP: the advice Sasha & David gave you is good as you will need to establish the pen's providence and authenticity. Assuming you can do this, there are also pen 'brokers' like Bryant @ Chatterly Luxuries, as well as auction houses (e.g., Bonhams) that can help sell your pen. 

#5 Z-Tab

Z-Tab

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:38

You misspelled Qing, which may have kept you from finding the information you want on Google.

On eBay, they seem to sell at around $3,000 and a recent Bonhams auction had one go for just over $4,000. If you misspell your listing on eBay, there's a good chance you'll end up with much less.

#6 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 15:04

Wow I guess different strokes for different folks. I can't imagine ever "accidentally" acquiring the pen with such an ostentatious design. It's such a culturally targeted design that I can't imagine any person that's Chinese would ever buy anything like that. It looks either like a cheap souvenir that a non Chinese tourist would end up buying in a trinket shop in some back alley in Asia, or what a Westerner would think that Chinese people would want.

But I guess I shouldn't be so small minded. I guess the pen sold and I am sure that Montblanc would have done a smashing job making the pen. There are many places to sell the pen as others have said. If you can't be bothered with it, I am sure that FPH or Chatterley would be happy to help you sell it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc, quing dynasty

Sponsored Content

|