What do you think of the Kaweco Sport?

nscampos

Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive pen that uses international cartridges with fine nib to use in the jeans pockets. The cartridge issue puts away the Safari. I saw a Kaweco Sport and a Pelikano in a stationary shop and they seem ok. I have read some good things about the Pelikano but little about the Kaweco.

Do you have any experience of it? Do you have any other suggestion?

(Am I going to stop buying fountain pens?)

Best regards,

Nuno Campos.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meanwhile

• BillTheEditor

• nscampos

• amk

There seem to be lots of Kaweco sports users on FPN and it seems to be a well-liked pen. You could also search ebay for the Waterman Kultur - I *think* it takes internationals.

- Jonathan

Yes, the Kultur takes international cartridges. In fact, the (huge amount of) cartridges I have are Waterman.

The Kultur is ok (I think it has the same nib as the Phileas), but wouldn’t it be too big to use in a jeans pocket?

QUOTE (nscampos @ Mar 16 2007, 03:54 PM)

The Kultur is ok (I think it has the same nib as the Phileas), but wouldn’t it be too big to use in a jeans pocket?

I think that has to depend on the pocket! And your personal preference. Certainly it's smaller than the Safari. If you're looking for small or slim, you might take a look at the Duke Mini Torpedo, Pilot Birdie, and the slim "Lady" version of the Sheaffer Targa. I'm not sure what the cartridges are on these, I'm a converter person.

- Jonathan

I carry a Kaweco AL-Sport (with medium nib) and a Kaweco Sport rollerball (modified to be an eyedropper fill) in a leather Kaweco 2-pen case in my jeans pocket at all times. They are great pens, reliable (they always write, never skip, never leak), and exactly the right size for jeans or slacks. I do have to post the caps in order to write comfortably with them, but people with smaller hands might not have a problem with them unposted.

Anybody who asks gets my recommendation in favor of these pens!

Edited by BillTheEditor

QUOTE (BillTheEditor @ Mar 16 2007, 05:13 PM)
I carry a Kaweco AL-Sport (with medium nib) and a Kaweco Sport rollerball (modified to be an eyedropper fill) in a leather Kaweco 2-pen case in my jeans pocket at all times.

Wait... Bill, how do you modify a rollerball to be an ED? With anyone else I'd think this was a typo, but you don't seem to make them...

- Jonathan

I didn't do the modifications, Nathan Tardiff did. You can buy the modified pens from Swisher. The process has also been discussed here on FPN.

Basically, Nathan seals the feed on the rollerball (not sure how he does this, and the FPN discussion never mentioned it being necessary), and adds two very small o-rings to the threads on the section. He then puts a little pure silicon grease on the threads to make sure there is a seal there (the owner needs to replenish the silicon grease every refill or so).

Swisher also sells Kaweco Sport fountain pens modified for eyedropper filling. The modification process seems to be the same. Since my AL-Sport is aluminum (not aluminum-colored plastic), it would not be a candidate for such a modification, so I just use Private Reserve cartridges in it. My guess is that the eyedropper Sport fountain pens work just as reliably as the eyedropper Sport rollerballs do.

Thanks, Bill.

Can anyone say how wide the Sports are, btw, and how longed are they when capped? Do they feel "full-sized"?

- Jonathan

QUOTE (nscampos @ Mar 16 2007, 10:27 AM)
I am looking for an inexpensive pen that uses international cartridges with fine nib to use in the jeans pockets. The cartridge issue puts away the Safari. I saw a Kaweco Sport and a Pelikano in a stationary shop and they seem ok. I have read some good things about the Pelikano but little about the Kaweco.

I have both the Kaweco Sport and the Pelikano. Hands down, the Kaweco wins if you want a small, sturdy pen to carry around in your jean's pocket. Best of all, it performs like a dream. The only advantage the Pelikano has over the Kaweco is the Pelikano will take the long international cartridges, and the Kaweco will not.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

QUOTE (meanwhile @ Mar 16 2007, 11:47 AM)
Thanks, Bill.

Can anyone say how wide the Sports are, btw, and how longed are they when capped? Do they feel "full-sized"?

4-1/8 inches capped, same diameter as a Parker Sonnet. Grip section is shorter than the Sonnet's, of course. I would not describe it as having the same feel as a full-size pen, though. It's much lighter, and posted the center of gravity is in a different place with respect to my hand since the pen is so short. It also feels different because the grip is so short and the cap is rather long (same length as the barrel, in fact), substantially larger in diameter, and hexagonal. It's not uncomfortable, just different. I haven't done any extended writing with it, so I can't tell you how it would be to write all day with one.

Those comments apply to the AL-Sport fountain pen. The Sport rollerball ED is plastic, and with a full load of ink the feel is not the same as the aluminum fountain pen. Hard to describe, but it's not that different from any other plastic rollerball pen you might use.

Edited by BillTheEditor

• 2 years later...

I also just recently bought a AL Sport, and was wondering how exactly is the cap supposed to be properly posted? I've let it just sit at the end of the pen loose, and that gets annoying sometimes when it flops around writing at funny angles. Other times, I push a little harder, and the cap seems to stick at the end of the pen. I don't know if I'm supposed to push it on that far, as I'm afraid of doing some damage to it, not sure what kind of damage, scratches or damaging the thread on the inside of the cap, but I've done damage to a Pelikano Jr. by posting the cap, causing it to crack. Was wondering what you did with your AL sport?

Thanks

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I have the Kaweco Sport. It is a fine point, but it is between a fine and medium. I love this pen so much I give them as gifts to the nieces and nephews who think they may want to write with a fountain pen. I even gave a purple one to my 83 year old mother and she loves it. Just pop in a new cartridge when it is empty and away you go. A very dependable pen and a smooth nib.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I always carry a Kaweco Sport eyedropper ink roller. I'd be pretty happy with a Sport FP too, but I prefer the finer nib of a Pilot "Tank" eyedropper.

The Sport is a great pen, durable and fun to use.

I did a review on the Sport about a year ago, it's still in the Pen Review section but never made it into the index. I have two that I find myself carrying often since they are compact and write well. The prefect "in-the-jeans-pocket" pen. You can buy little converters for them from Isellpens I think, I have a few of the converters. They're small and don't hold much, but are a nice thing go have. The thing I like is that they can't leak ink when they're closed.

S

I love my Kaweco Sport! It's my purse/pocket pen. Goes everywhere w/ me, seems none the worse for wear & has (almost) never let me down! It did leak a couple times but only from airplane rides, & only inside the cap. (I mean, no ink escapes outside the pen.) It makes me happy :)

• 2 years later...

Hi,

(Am I going to stop buying fountain pens?)

Best regards,

Nuno Campos.

Hi Nuno! Olá Nuno!

About your question let me say that the kaweco sport is a great all around pen. Small in size and big in writing. It's very light, yet ergonomic well designed. It takes international cartridges or you can convert it to a eyedropper. The only thing that you must pay attention is the nib width.In myy opinion the Medium NIB is in reality a traditional F Nib and off course the Fine Nib is a extra fine Nib.

All in all the pen is a great, fun and versatile pen. I have 2 of them and i'm very satisfied with both.

You said that you saw Kaweco's in a store? Where in portugal?

Hope this was helpful

Regards / Um Abraço

The pen is the tongue of the mind.

Miguel de Cervantes | 1547-1616

I enjoy using my Kaweco Sport. I originally purchased it with an F nib and then I bought a 1.1 mm nib for it. Been using it at work this week and really like it. I would get the clip with it. I originally bought it without and have found it much better with the clip for everyday use but I usually put my pens in my shirt pocket. I don't like carrying pens in my pant pocket because it sometimes digs into my leg.

Kaweco Sports are the best "jeans pocket" fountain pens. Go for the Al Sport if you're willing to pay more for something extra-sturdy.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

Kaweco Sports are the best "jeans pocket" fountain pens.

+1. It simply is just perfect for jeans pocket. I have a M nib and am amazed at how smooth it writes. It is an ugly duck, but performs great.

Regards,

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.