The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Is There An Estie Nib Trade Thread?

nibs esterbrook

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 greensparcs

greensparcs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:35

If this ever gets off the ground does anyone have a 9048 or a 9128 that I could test? Id give some form of collateral sent first if need be.

Sponsored Content

#42 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:02

If the mods green light this idea please contact me via messenger and I can write up my ideas as to how I see it working. It would be pretty simple and trades would be agreed upon privately by the two parties and handled in a permanent WTT thread, hopefully pinned at the top of the forum.
John L

#43 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:23

I'm sure we can get a green light if we do classifieds.  If you can suggest how you see it working, we could discuss that here.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#44 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:42

I'm sure we can get a green light if we do classifieds.  If you can suggest how you see it working, we could discuss that here.

As I said, I see it working as a permanent WTT thread, where an individual can post what nibs he has for trade and what nibs he is looking for. Then if another member has what he's looking for, a simple reply can be posted and a trade is worked out between the two parties, either in the thread or via messenger. I would like to see it remain in the Esterbrook forum though, as I'm afraid it would get lost in the Classifieds forum, and it is Esterbrook specific. A mod can be placed in charge to help settle any disputes regarding the receiving of a nib not as described or damaged. Just as a precaution to make sure the trades remain fair and no one gets away with passing off damaged nibs for good ones.

If it has to be in the Classifieds, I would hope that it be either a sub forum or pinned at the top with a pinned link to it in the Esterbrook forum.

Edited by jdllizard, 10 November 2014 - 07:45.

John L

#45 kharrisma

kharrisma

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:52

@greensparcs: I don't have a 9048, but I do have a 2048 that's currently living in a drawer, but it's been not orignal; as received, it had worn down to a medium point.  It's supposed to be a fine, and I used nail-buffs to restore it to a fine, so you wouldn't be getting a stock point.  That said, however, I'd be glad to loan 'er out for a test spin, should this thing get off the ground.  Edit: I should point out that the 2048 is completely untipped, not even a roll-tip, so it needs to be treated like you'd use a dip-nib.  I guess the same would not be true of a 9048, so maybe you'd not be interested in the 2048, but I thought I'd make the offer anyway.

Edited by kharrisma, 10 November 2014 - 11:56.

#46 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:44

As I said, I see it working as a permanent WTT thread, where an individual can post what nibs he has for trade and what nibs he is looking for. Then if another member has what he's looking for, a simple reply can be posted and a trade is worked out between the two parties, either in the thread or via messenger. I would like to see it remain in the Esterbrook forum though, as I'm afraid it would get lost in the Classifieds forum, and it is Esterbrook specific. A mod can be placed in charge to help settle any disputes regarding the receiving of a nib not as described or damaged. Just as a precaution to make sure the trades remain fair and no one gets away with passing off damaged nibs for good ones.

If it has to be in the Classifieds, I would hope that it be either a sub forum or pinned at the top with a pinned link to it in the Esterbrook forum.

This is the way I think it would work best. I don't see any advantage over the current situation trying to work it from Within the Classifieds that we have now.

It would need to be written up such that there was No Moderator upkeep needed, they are busy enough already.  I suspect the suspicion that they Would Have to get involved with "botched" deals IS a stumbling block to this happening.

Just my .02.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#47 Veltri

Veltri

♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪♫

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2014 - 17:55

If someone currently gets screwed in the classifieds on a trade there seems to be no feedback function anyhow.

So to be consistent there should not be any in this thread.

Complaints and callouts will likely just get the thread closed.

If you really have an issue, I suggest putting something in your profile asking members to PM you about details of a trade gone bad. 

#48 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:49

I agree, the mod would just be there in case of a repeat offender who refuses to make it right with whoever he screwed over, though I think this place doesn't have many (if any) people like that, so it wouldn't be an ongoing problem but rather an extremely rare one. The only repercussion needed would probably be to ban the offender from the Estie Nib Trade thread/forum.

A mod could also remove any callouts or complaints that violated FPN rules and regs.

John L

#49 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:11

The only repercussion needed would probably be to ban the offender from the Estie Nib Trade thread/forum.

A mod could also remove any callouts or complaints that violated FPN rules and regs.

A simple grade school playground rule would do the trick without involving anyone. If someone does not play nice, nobody will play with them. Those who do not make honest and good trades will be made known and no one will trade nibs with them. Wouldn't that work?

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#50 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:14

A simple grade school playground rule would do the trick without involving anyone. If someone does not play nice, nobody will play with them. Those who do not make honest and good trades will be made known and no one will trade nibs with them. Wouldn't that work?

-David.

Yea that's probably all it would take unless someone really got out of hand but that could happen in any forum in any thread.
John L

#51 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2014 - 15:45

I will report back to the Mods that the classifieds are acceptable.  The mods for this forum should be the ones to lay out the rules to the create the classifieds.  I think you have given good guidelines. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#52 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:51

Okay, we are ready for Classifieds if someone is exceptionally anxious.....

You do this a WTT, want to trade.

#53 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:11

I assume you mean Classifieds as in the usual FPN Classifieds.

There was one Trade listed here last night. In This thread.

The Mods have Already made it go baabye. That makes pretty clear to me their feelings on doing this Within a Trade Thread in the forum.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#54 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:31

Yes, it needs to be a wanted to trade in a classifieds.  

The old way of doing it in the threads caused much stress for users and mods alike. 

They will be enabling trader feedback in the future since you requested it.

#55 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:29

Is it going to be a pinned topic in the Classifieds?

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#56 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 17:53

As soon as someone starts it, we can request it be pinned.

#57 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:01

Sweet! Thanks for talked with the mods on behalf of Estieville.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#58 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:14

Sorry but I just can't see this as a win, since I could have been putting Estie Nib Trade  threads in the Classifieds all along.

Thank you for at least offering to Pin it though.

John L

#59 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 14:47

Hope this Early Nib Reference helps : )

Edited by Tom Heath, 18 November 2014 - 14:52.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#60 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2014 - 17:10

Sorry but I just can't see this as a win, since I could have been putting Estie Nib Trade  threads in the Classifieds all along.

Thank you for at least offering to Pin it though.

I'm sorry you feel this way.

However, you now have people willing to discuss trades AND once the trades start, you can have a link in the forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, esterbrook

Sponsored Content

|