I Can Eyedropper That...

ipinkgirl

So I got a new bottle of Kung Te-Cheng and it came with the Noodlers Preppy, but after two solid days of writing with it, (I eyedroppered it full and wrote through most of the fill), it stopped working. I'm not a Preppy fan anyway so I pitched the pen and pulled out my favorite pen to eyedropper, the Pilot Petit 1, and within moments of filling it and greasing the thread I am up and running.

What are some pens you probably shouldn't eyedropper, but did anyway and were successful with.

Edited by ipinkgirl

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AD64

• holgalee

• ipinkgirl

• DaveBj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Against advice, I ED'ed a 40-year-old Sailor 21 Pocket Pen with Quink Black, no ill effects. Have since scored a box of cartridges of Sailor Nano Black, so I'm using it as it's supposed to be used.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 2 weeks later...

My Pilot Petit fountain pen leaks when converted as an eyedropper. Perhaps silicon grease will help, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd previously tried with ink or tested with water: Pilot 78G, Pilot Prera, Pilot Lucina, Platinum Preppy (all ok) and Sailor Manhatten/Candy (leaks at the end)...

• 1 year later...

Hello folks,

Thanks for the great conversations. I'm *very* new to eyedropper pens; I didn't even know what they were until about two weeks ago. Reading around on the FPN forums led me to all things eyedropper and this conversation (among many other ED discussions).

I have just converted four cartridge pens to eyedroppers: one Platinum Preppie and three Pilot Petit1 pens. I'll share about the Platinum Preppy and the o-rings for that in this posting.

Since I have two Platinum Preppys, I thought this would be a good candidate for my first ED conversion test run. I began to look around for the o-rings and silicone grease. I decided to buy the silicone grease and preppy o-rings that Goulet Pens sells. Goulet Pens sells a four pack for $2. I also found some o-rings on Amazon based on one of the forums here (I'd link the forum, but I can't find it). I got 100 of the larger sized ones from Amazon for $4.12. The name you can use to search on Amazon is "M1x9.5 Buna-N O-ring, 70A Durometer, Round, Black, 9.5 mm ID, 11.5 mm OD, 1 mm Width (Pack of 100)"

The o-rings from an Amazon third party seller arrived a few days later. They are actually larger than the ones sold by Goulet Pens and so I'm happy with the smaller sized ones for the Preppie ED conversion. Here are some o-ring comparisons for your perusal.

The Goulet Pens kit arrived first and so I decided to try out the conversion with the Goulet o-rings and silicone grease. It was so simple and easy. And, thus far, a great success. It hasn't leaked at all. I think the o-rings from the seller on Amazon might be a bit too big for the job?

Here are images of both of the sets of o-rings:

post-129924-0-35095600-1463949971_thumb.jpg
post-129924-0-09162500-1463950120_thumb.jpg
Here are some side by side comparisons:
post-129924-0-03148300-1463950211_thumb.jpg
post-129924-0-58330100-1463950273_thumb.jpg
post-129924-0-82616700-1463950345_thumb.jpg

I have a used pen coming soon, a Noodlers Ahab flex nib. It's damaged and I'm considering making it an eye dropper too, so perhaps the larger o-rings will work for that?

I'll be traveling soon and will take the eye droppers with me. I'll report in on how they fare with air travel, etc.

Edited by AD64

I have also just converted three Pilot Petit1 pens into eyedroppers. They didn't use o-rings, just the silicone grease. I have them filled with De Atrementis Document inks. I thought this would be a good use for them as I don't use that ink a lot (but when I need it, I need it) and the ink could clog pens. I figured a dedicated disposal ED with the Pilot Petit1 might be perfect for this. I now have one in red, one in black, and one in brown.

It took me a couple of tries to get these so they didn't leak. The key was to put on a lot more of the silicone grease than I did on the Platinum Preppy. I tried putting on an o-ring too, but there is really no good place for that. So, it's just silicone grease now.

They are writing well, in my tests, and not leaking now. I'll travel with them by air, car, train, and bus soon. I'll report back how they do under these circumstances.

Best,

AD