The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Vs Platignum

platinum platignum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:17

Are they the same brand? Is Platinum Japanese and Platignum British? Please clear the confusion. Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Anirban4u

Anirban4u

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:22

Platinum -> japan

Platignum -> UK

The platignum sells very few models of FPs now-a-days, however, they had been around for a long time. I dont know if their story resemble waterman's or Conklin's.

Maybe someone will shed sum light ?

And geena (when did u change to ginny ?), looks like you are totally hooked into FPs by now :D

Opensuse_2.png  gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

#3 GregWrites

GregWrites

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:28

'Platinum' and 'Platignum', and they both sell pens.  Don't know much about trademark law, but this is confusingly similar.

#4 Anirban4u

Anirban4u

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:42

Both of the companies have been around for quite a LONG time, so I'm sure no trademark laws have been breached by either. :)

Opensuse_2.png  gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

#5 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:52

Platignum is British third tier (cheapie) manufacturer.

Platinum is large Japanese manufacturer that makes pens from disposable fountain pens to premium pens. And under the brand Nakaya pens that can be considered a form of art.

Non notisi signi.

#6 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 20:53

Platignum got started in 1925 as a sub-brand of Mentmore; the spelling was meant to elude a UK law about truth in advertising ("Do they contain platinum?  No?").

Platinum was named in 1928 as a rebranding of Nakata's pen company.  No reference to the English company, nor I suspect much concern that they existed and had a similar name.

I'm also not right up on trademark law, but there's enough difference in spelling between the two (especially when one appears as プラチナ)that there's little danger of mistaking one for the other.  The markets wouldn't have overlapped much prior to 1945 anyway.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#7 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 19:10

Platinum -> japan

Platignum -> UK

The platignum sells very few models of FPs now-a-days, however, they had been around for a long time. I dont know if their story resemble waterman's or Conklin's.

Maybe someone will shed sum light ?

And geena (when did u change to ginny ?), looks like you are totally hooked into FPs by now :D

yeah, totally :P I just love fountain pens. So awesome. I don't know, some friends just started calling me Ginny. I go with it. But you can call me anything you like :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, platignum

Sponsored Content

|