The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Where To Sell My Pens?

montblanc waterman pelikan sheaffer parker aurora cross lamy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickRS

NickRS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:26

Hi guys,
I'm really not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'll give it a try.
I am in a need of some extra money, so I have to sell some of the pens I've been collecting.
I'm interested is there somebody in the Bay Area that would give me a fair amount of money, because I live in San Jose, California currently.
My collection are mostly Montblanc pens with additions of other brands. It consists of both vintage and modern, used and unused fountain pens, pencils, ballpoints and rollerballs.
What would you guys suggest?
I'm also open to trades, but it has to be something that I'd consider keeping, although currently I primarily need money.
Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Content

#2 icKus

icKus

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:14

You can definitely sell your pens on the classifieds here, but I've never tried it yet. Either that or eBay, wish the best of luck to you!

#3 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:19

Show up at a Pen Posse. Counsel and trades happen regularly!
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

#4 FedericoMedina

FedericoMedina

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:29

Peyton street pens is in Santa Cruz. The classifieds section is also great. I am in Santa Cruz would love to see what you have available via the classifieds.

#5 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 16:53

Depending on the size/composition of your collection, I'd go with FPN Classifieds, eBay and then other Pen boards in that order. I'd start with FPN because it's a trusted marketplace and the likelihood of someone knowledgeable being interested in your pens is pretty high.

If you don't sell some pens on FPN, then I'd move them to eBay mainly because eBay:

- has a system in place to handle orders/shipping/disputes/etc.

- has a reasonable payments system in place (PayPal) 

- is where bidding for some vintage MB pens can go a little wacky (sometimes to your benefit), especially if you have a good starting price & strategy. 

HTH!

#6 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 17:19

Ebay is always a possibility, local pen club meetings are a great way to trade/sell pens, the classifieds here at FPN will be open to you to use when you are a Gold member, which looks like you are only 1 post away from being a Gold member. If you use the classifieds make sure you use actual pictures of the pens you are selling and follow the classifieds rules.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:34

Good Advice

#8 Z-Tab

Z-Tab

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2014 - 00:17

You have to hit 30 posts before you can put a Classified up here. They seem to be pretty good, but unless you have something very desirable and you're willing to put it up at a rock bottom price, it may sit for a long time. Pencils, ballpoints, and rollerballs may turn out to be nearly impossible to get a fair price on through FPN.

eBay has its own issues, since if you haven't sold through them before, you may have to wait a long time before you can access your money. On the plus side, if you're selling Montblancs, you have a decent chance of getting much more money for them than you would readily get here (more than enough to cover the fees).

Ultimately, it is impossible to say what the best course of action is without knowing exactly what you have to sell. An unopened Hemingway FP is going to lead to a very different conversation than a 24 with a bent nib would.

#9 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:38

What are you planning to put on the market?

#10 NickRS

NickRS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:00

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I might go to the pen show.
Also I forgot to ask, I need parts for some of my pens, is there a way I can get them from someone, without breaking the bank, also I need nib straightening for certain pens, and even maybe iridium rettiping? Do you know how much those repairs cost?
For example, I need a 146( newer one) clip with serial number, a vintage 146 body...

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 14:19

Your should just sell them as they are otherwise you are going to be spending a fair amount of money to fix them up with no guarantee that you will make that much extra on them to recover your outlay

#12 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:32

Your should just sell them as they are otherwise you are going to be spending a fair amount of money to fix them up with no guarantee that you will make that much extra on them to recover your outlay

+1 for the above advice...I'd only invest the money in pens you know you're going to keep, IMHO.

#13 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,152 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:54

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I might go to the pen show.
Also I forgot to ask, I need parts for some of my pens, is there a way I can get them from someone, without breaking the bank, also I need nib straightening for certain pens, and even maybe iridium rettiping? Do you know how much those repairs cost?
For example, I need a 146( newer one) clip with serial number, a vintage 146 body...

Bring them to the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting in Pacifica today (10-25)

Bet I know someone that can fix your pens.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, waterman, pelikan, sheaffer, parker, aurora, cross, lamy

Sponsored Content

|