Standard Vs Deluxe Converter?

Tom Traubert

Very quick question: is the deluxe piston converter actually any better than the standard slide pump one?

I have the latter in my IM Premium, my Sonnet and my 45 and it seems to be have well enough. I'd just be interested to hear if I'm missing out in any way.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Tom Traubert

• mitto

• alexwi

The standard is a bit stiff that's all really. However I think the deluxe complements the pens trim a bit better. At some point I will buy a few more to go with my Parker GT's.

Only from my personal experience: yes, they are better, way better. Two from my three standard converter isn't working any more, and they are only six months old.... My deluxe converter is thanks for asking, feeling pretty well, even after one year serious usage. Personally would recommend the deluxe ones, if they are fit to your pen.

I had some problems with deluxe converters. The surface tension sometimes prevents the ink to flow correctly, and you need to shake the pen or slightly rotate the converter knob. By adding a small plastic ball inside the converter this problem can be avoided. This ball can be taken from an international cartridge.

Please note not all Parker pens suffer this issue. I had experienced it mostly in Sonnets.

Hmmm. The standard converter contains a ball bearing. That's a good feature.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

I have found that the ball bearings sometimes block the flow when refilling. Some converters use a spring, which works better.

Apart from that, the twist converter requires two hands to operate, and the slide converter can be operated with one hand, while my other hand holds the ink bottle and keeps it from sliding around.

I have a few of the old squeeze converters from Parker 45s or Parker 75s, and I like these better.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have a few of the old squeeze converters from Parker 45s or Parker 75s, and I like these better.

From my experience, these older converters' sacs have the tendency to rupture pretty fast because of the old rubber.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I think the slide converters do have the bearing inside, and I made a 3 turn coil of copper wire which worked well as an agitator.

I would have thought that if the bearing/agitator was made of plastic, it would float on the top of the ink, and do a better job of breaking the surface tension.

The slider part does move easier with time and use, and the sliding action can be improved by taking the converter apart and giving it a good clean with detergent.

I found it very difficult to get the converter apart, as it would be so easy to break it, but it can be done with care.

• 3 years later...

I think the slide converters do have the bearing inside, and I made a 3 turn coil of copper wire which worked well as an agitator.

I would have thought that if the bearing/agitator was made of plastic, it would float on the top of the ink, and do a better job of breaking the surface tension.

The slider part does move easier with time and use, and the sliding action can be improved by taking the converter apart and giving it a good clean with detergent.

I found it very difficult to get the converter apart, as it would be so easy to break it, but it can be done with care.

The slide converters can be disassembled quite easily if done while taking precautions. I always clean them once a month by taking them apart.

I don't like the slide converters. As Pejaro said the old squeeze converters are far better. These can also be resaced pretty easily.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have disassembled the silde converters. Then I take out the ball. Next, I put a tiny bit of silicone lubricant on a toothpick and apply it inside the converter tube. Slide action is improved.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Hi,

I don't know how the converter would make a difference in the writing experience, but I have a love-hate relationship with the sliding-piston one and its ball bearing.

I'm pretty sure that the little ball helps break surface tension, which, at least in theory, seems like a good idea, but flushing that converter is a pain in the barrel: You can fill it with water easily, but when you point it down, the ball drops to the bottom, blocking the opening and you can't flush it. You have to wiggle it a bit and hold it sideways in order to flush (and be extra-careful if there's ink in it).

Mike 59's idea of making a little copper coil and using that instead is great. I believe that Pilot's converters use that instead of the stupid ball.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Hi,

I don't know how the converter would make a difference in the writing experience, but I have a love-hate relationship with the sliding-piston one and its ball bearing.

I'm pretty sure that the little ball helps break surface tension, which, at least in theory, seems like a good idea, but flushing that converter is a pain in the barrel: You can fill it with water easily, but when you point it down, the ball drops to the bottom, blocking the opening and you can't flush it. You have to wiggle it a bit and hold it sideways in order to flush (and be extra-careful if there's ink in it).

Mike 59's idea of making a little copper coil and using that instead is great. I believe that Pilot's converters use that instead of the stupid ball.

alex

Disassemble the slide converter. Throw the ball away. Lube the inside of the clear tube with silicone lube. Reassemble the converter and fill with ink. Let a couple of drops back into the ink bottle.

Disassemble the slide converter. Throw the ball away. Lube the inside of the clear tube with silicone lube. Reassemble the converter and fill with ink. Let a couple of drops back into the ink bottle.

I didn't know you could disassemble it. Will try next time I'm faced with cleaning it.

thanks!

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

To me the slide converter is a cheap disposable item.

Yes, of course it is. You can still mess with it. Generally the pens I use it on are not favorites, but it has the virtue of one hand operation, allowing me to hold onto the ink bottle to keep it from spilling. Yes, I know there are other, expensive, deluxe solutions for holding the ink bottle in place. Many pens made today are cheap, just not in price. This is often the converter they deserve.

IMHO.