The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Platinum #3776 Century Review

platinum #3776 #3776 century

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Selmar

Selmar

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 22:59

Looking for a recommendation....on a nib selection for the Platinum 3776 Century

I have decided to purchase one, but the nib size is the issue.

I typically like my Vanishing Point medium nib, Micarta fine point, Metropolitan Medium, Pilot 823 Medium, Faber Castell Ondoro and Ambition Fine..

I see that Platinum offers a Soft Fine for the 3776..What are the characteristics of a soft fine?  How does it perform compared to a fine nib?

Does that mean that the Soft fine is somewhat of a flex nib?

Which size nib would you recommend, which would compare favorably to the nibs that I enjoy as listed above?

I also do NOT like scratchy nibs...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bill

I wonder if you ever bought this pen (Platinum 3776 Century).  I just bought and received mine, a year after your post. I find that the M nib I got is indeed an M nib, not more like an F nib. And it flows like butter, like sunlight. The smoothest flowing pen I've ever used. I wonder how the F nib is.  I don't think a soft F is necessary. I might buy another with an F nib, and use both of them.

Sponsored Content

#42 onetwothree

onetwothree

Near Mint

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:45

Nice review. This is one of my favorites, even prefer it over pens that cost 2 or 3 times as much. If you shop around you can get this pen for less than 100, less than 90 even if you willing to wait/shop around. One of the cheapest gold nibs you can buy. I got two of these actually, an extra fine and a medium. The medium is a joy to write, minimum feedback (i do admit i like nibs with feedback, but in this case this one has very little feedback but i still love it!) and super super wet! The extra fine is also OK but not as great as the medium, in fact my extra fine as a bit of scratchiness which i'll eventually take care of.

This is a magnificent pen!

#43 Chirographer

Chirographer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:08

I'm glad that this pen can be found for half the price of a year ago.  It is currently my favorite fountain pen.  

I bought the Bourgogne color with a Fine nib, and really enjoy the size and weight of this pen.  It writes like the wind on medium quality and high quality paper.  I've never had a hard/dry start with this smooth writing pen.   It can be found in my shirt pocket most days of the week. 

"Not all those who wander are lost."   J.R.R. Tolkien

http://i.imgur.com/pDbnhCP.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, #3776, #3776 century

Sponsored Content

|