The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Napoleonic Era Styles And Writing Instruments

napoleon nibs cursive handwriting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MimiToto

MimiToto

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 00:02

Does anyone have more specific information as to the writing styles prominently used in France during Napoleon Bonaparte's lifetime? And the dip pen Nib type they used, and modern close equivalents?

All I have to go on are photographs of Napoleon and contemporary's letters.

this one looks like a roundhand with Pfannenfeder type nib? or Italic stub?

pocherk_0117.jpg

So the first question is, what types of nibs did people in that era use? or was it just a variety of everything except copperplate types?

Sponsored Content

#2 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:58

Here you have some leters from Victor Hugo

http://www.museedesl.../victor-hugo/55

And all of these are from the same period

https://www.google.f...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#3 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:55

Napoleon died in 1821. Replaceable metal dip pen nibs were developed early in the 1800s, but didn't come in to common use until the 1830s. Until then, most people still used trimmed feather quills. Even then, the use of quills was not uncommon until the 1860s.

However, even in the 1700s members of the aristocracy did have custom made dip pens made (probably by jewellers) that didn't have replaceable nibs. However, the metal of those nibs (usually a gold alloy) was much thicker than the stamped metal steel nibs of the 1830s onwards and didn't show the flex of the thinner nibs.

My feeling is that the letter shown was probably written with a quill

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#4 MimiToto

MimiToto

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2014 - 16:56

Thankyou both for the replies.

I was looking at the dates of steel nib development aswell, but the Napoleon letter looks much too clean and uniform to have been written with a quill, would a Brause Jsenlorn produce the same effect?

the Victor Hugo letters posted by fountainpegan would have been much later than the pre-empire ones, and looks like steel nib.

#5 andreasn

andreasn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:33

It looks very quill written to me. I have made a couple of quills myself and my writing with them looks very much like that, just a little less uniform probably since The quality of my quills isn't as good and I probably don't dip it as often.

#6 andreasn

andreasn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:29

This is a litte text I wrote with a quill. I think i lokks very similar.

I just hope forging napoleons signature isn't illegal!

DSC_0224.jpg

#7 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:11

I don't know that forging Napoleon's signature is illegal, but it may have people wanting to put you into a room with nice, soft walls...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#8 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:05

Well , I remember few years ago somebody, I think an historian modified a date in a document of the civil war in USA , and inmediatly received a visit from the FBI.

Btw that document in the op post was written in Moscow, perhaps among the flames around the Kremlin. What a pity I don't know French, does anybody can translate? I am  Napoleon's fan. Nice handwriting btw but it probably belongs to a secretary, I am sure that only the signature comes from Napoleón ¿ why?, the letters in Napoleón´s signature are wider than the text.

Edited by penrivers, 20 October 2014 - 19:07.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: napoleon, nibs, cursive, handwriting

Sponsored Content

|