Duke Mini-Torpedo

samuel07

I was looking at a Duke Mini Torpedo at hisnibs.com and I like the look and size and the price seams reasonable. With my B-day coming up I was thinking of dropping a hint to my wife. Anyone have any input to offer a newbie?

Thanks,

<a href="http://www.findingruth.blogspot.com" target="_blank">

Our Adoption Blog!

</a>

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• His Nibs

• krz

• jd50ae

• samuel07

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice litle pens! I have one I like. Good experiences buying from HISNIBS too. So why not? smile.gif

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

QUOTE (samuel07 @ Mar 15 2007, 09:27 PM)
I was looking at a Duke Mini Torpedo at hisnibs.com and I like the look and size and the price seams reasonable. With my B-day coming up I was thinking of dropping a hint to my wife. Anyone have any input to offer a newbie?

Thanks,

IMHO the Duke pens have reached a stage in quality control that is a real comfort when buying one. I do not hesitate in purchasing one of their pens for a second. The service after purchase from the two mentioned sellers is outstanding. smile.gif

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Hi Samuel07,

I have a Duke Mini-Torpedo fountain pen and it is a very nice writer, an attractive smaller pen at a decent price but I must say I am a bit worried about the cap being able to stay on when posted.

I do use the "push-and-turn" technique and it worked well when I first got the pen, but I think the inner cap liner has become wider over the years so much that the cap will pop off when posted, once in a while. The pen is too small to use unposted so I will have to figure out a way to keep the cap on if I want to keep using the pen. sad.gif

It's a lovely small pen (the red undertones sparkle in the light), though, and the nib exceeded my expectations.. so it's too bad that the cap has posting issues (unless some improvements were made to the design since I bought the pen about 4 or so years ago.....)

I love the line mine writes with and the feel of the nib on paper. And the pen is absolutely gorgeous with that sparkly deep undertone finish. Have had problems with the cap itself being loose and coming off easily (when covering the nib, not when posted--have never been able to get it to post, which is fine w/me). It's become less and less firm in its hold on the pen, although after a little over a year, it has yet to come off when I'm not taking it off on purpose. smile.gif (The loose cap is something that I've heard others mention, also.)

Would I buy another if something happened to this one? I think...yes. cool.gif

Hmm...

I bought a Mini Torpedo a short time ago, and I've been pretty disappointed with it. It's a beautiful pen, but the darn thing refuses to write.

I've tried several different inks in it, I've tried flushing it out, but it refuses to start for me. A bunch of shaking will eventually get it started, and once it's started it will write -- until I clip it to my pocket for ten minutes, after which I have to start all over.

I'm glad others have had success with theirs; maybe I just got a bad one. I love the way the pen looks; I just can't use it.

QUOTE (tjwarren @ Mar 17 2007, 12:32 PM)
Hmm...

I bought a Mini Torpedo a short time ago, and I've been pretty disappointed with it. It's a beautiful pen, but the darn thing refuses to write.

I've tried several different inks in it, I've tried flushing it out, but it refuses to start for me. A bunch of shaking will eventually get it started, and once it's started it will write -- until I clip it to my pocket for ten minutes, after which I have to start all over.

I'm glad others have had success with theirs; maybe I just got a bad one. I love the way the pen looks; I just can't use it.

Hi,

I don't believe you purchased your pen from me (it's always difficult to tell when real names aren't given, but if Warren is your last name then you didn't). I always examine and adjust nibs -- on all pens -- prior to shipping, to help prevent the problem you're describing. Please feel free to email me backchannel and I'll be happy to see if I can help.

You can use the FPN email system or contact me at stonebri@sprynet.com.

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1