The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Odd Eyedropper Configuration

eyedropper

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 14:53

I have an old eyedropper (at least I think it is very old) which is in black chased rubber. I was cleaning off some of the old ink stains in the threads of the barrel when I noticed that the interior oft he barrel has an inner circle of rubber with a smaller hole in the centre. I have always used the same ink in this, so until now I haven't actually paid a lot of attention to the insides, assuming that it was just a big empty space. Then as I was flicking the remaining water out of it I heard a little click and there seems to be a metal (?) thing inside it too, held in position by the inner circle, but free to move up and down in that area of the barrel. I was wondering if anyone knows why it is there and what purpose it serves. All other eyedroppers I have don't have it.

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 14:59

maybe it is actually a button filler? can you post some pictures?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 16:43

Nope, not a button filler; it is definitely an eyedropper. It is very, very plain with a push on cap, a friction fit nib and feed and rounded off at the end of the cap and the end of the barrel. I wondering if it was a sort of strange diaphragm inside to control ink flow. It's still a notorious belcher though.

#4 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 2,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 16:48

Does the barrel have a blind cap?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#5 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 17:05

Nope, no blind cap.

#6 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 22:02

pictures might help.  it could be something to break up the surface tension and prevent burping, its hard to say though.  do you know the maker of the pen?

#7 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:26

I can't get pictures of it (although I could get a pic of the pen) as it's deep inside the barrel. I suspect it is to do with burp prevention, although it doesn't help! I have no idea of the maker.

#8 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 15:54

Hmm ... Evidently your pen was originally designed by some country's intelligence service as a means of safely carrying secret information. The metal part you hear is obviously a sealed cylinder for carrying microfilm or Minox film. You detected it because with age, the adhesive that held the cylinder to the rubber retaining ring has failed allowing the cylinder to move in the barrel and make noise. No doubt the pen came to the market because some misfortune overtook the agent who was carrying it, leaving her no time to properly dispose of it.

(Or of course it could be some sort of scheme to prevent burping, but what fun would that be?)

ron

#9 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 17:50

I like the first story best.

#10 wetnoodlepens

wetnoodlepens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 18:03

An eyedropper... With a push on cap?!?!?!

That doesn't sound like a good combination...

I already worry when I carry eyedroppered pens with screw caps.

Vintage Wet Noodles and flexible nib pens of all kinds!

Click to view current stock on FPN, or visit:

http://bit.ly/wetnoodlepens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper

Sponsored Content

|