Onoto Excel Acrylic

silverfox1949

Hello, I have always liked my Waterman Carenes,but I have finally succumbed and ordered an Onoto Excel, I hope I have not been too hasty,does anyone have experience with Onoto and/or your thoughts? I have sent emails to Onoto but as yet have had no reply,although I have received an order acknowledgement

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• silverfox1949

• alc3261

• PeterBeoworld

• richardandtracy

I have two Onoto Magnas from the current line up, purchased in 2012 and 2013. Their customer service and attention to detail was excellent, and I would have no hesitation in ordering from them again - well, the only hesitation is lack of funds!

I have a Heritage Plunger, a Nickelby and a Doctor's Pen. All are well made and I have had all modified to stub nibs as part of the package. I do also have a goodly number of the De La Rue Onotos as well including two Magnas. I prefer the finish of the vintage pens but the modern ones write far better on an everyday basis. The vintage Magna nibs are lovely but the feed is difficult to get working perfectly. I would fully recommend the modern Onotos.

I have several onotos and QC is just fine.

If any issues , pen van be sent back and service is quick as well.

Of the modern pen producers , together with Conid , one of my favs

Peter-

I would love to see some side-by-side photos of the DLR Magnas and the new Onoto models.

gary

Not a great picture - will try some in daylight when I have a chance! From the top, DLR Onoto Magna with No. 7 nib, Onoto Cambridge, Doctor's Pen,

Onoto Nickleby, DLR Onoto Magna with No. 6 nib, DLR Onoto 6234.

post-15447-0-20431100-1413578302_thumb.jpg

post-15447-0-24506200-1413578397_thumb.jpg

I ordered one, got the automated response, they took the money from my account and I heard nothing further. I emailed, no reply and then rang and was told someone would ring back with the status of my order. I later received an email. They must being having a bad hair day(s) as their customer service is non existent. My pen should arrive in ten to twenty eight days. I won't sit and wait for the post person and they definitely won't win online retailer of the year award (as Cult Pens did).

I have received an email saying my pen is number 29 of 50 and should be about 7 days, although they did not reply to an earlier email regarding their high shipping charges

Regarding high shipping charges, I doubt if they do much more than cover the cost of shipping with their charges.

If you go to the Post Office website and look for a first class parcel, guaranteed delivery in the UK, with compensation up to £1000, weight 1kg (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/special-delivery-guaranteed?intcampaignid=MNmailspecialdelivery#prices ) then you're looking at £14.34 charge from the post office alone... That doesn't cover packing it in a box, materials etc.

Post Office charge increases, and increase in the value of the £, have totally killed my pen exports outside the EU, and have substantially reduced the takeup of pens within the UK after the first enquiry.

Regards,

Richard.

Thankyou for the information Richard, and now I realise although it does sound expensive it is justified ( by Onoto but not by Post Office). I am also one of those people who have ordered a seemingly bargain Sheaffer Targa,from USA, only to be stung for a further £28 for tax and PO handling charges, and yes it did say in the description, so silly me!!

Stan

I agree with Richard. The price of postage in the UK is high. I recently sent a pen off to Oxonian for some nib work to be done to it. Cost of postage in a plastic pen tube was over £6 and this assured signed for delivery with insurance. The Onoto pen will come securely boxed and packaged and I'm sure the weight alone would put it into a different pricing range as far as Royal Mail is concerned. With Onoto packaging you really do get what you pay for.

Thankyou for the information Richard, and now I realise although it does sound expensive it is justified ( by Onoto but not by Post Office). I am also one of those people who have ordered a seemingly bargain Sheaffer Targa,from USA, only to be stung for a further £28 for tax and PO handling charges, and yes it did say in the description, so silly me!!

Stan

Bringing items in from overseas is nothing short of legalised theft by the carriers. I accept (reluctantly) that I have to pay an import fee BUT it is obscene that Customs and Excise don't ask me to pay the bill. They get their 'friends' to pay on my behalf and I get charged their fee as well. Theft plain and simple.

Not a great picture - will try some in daylight when I have a chance! From the top, DLR Onoto Magna with No. 7 nib, Onoto Cambridge, Doctor's Pen,

Onoto Nickleby, DLR Onoto Magna with No. 6 nib, DLR Onoto 6234.

Peter,

Thank you for your photos. I'm a not-so-secret vintage O snob, but your new pen pics hold promise.

gary

Received email today my Onoto Excel Acrylic has been despatched!

Hope you enjoy your new purchase (from #29-why did you get yours before me? :D :D )

Stan

I didn't look at Andy's Pens until after I had ordered from Onoto - a bit peeved I could have saved some money there.