The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Gold Nib On A Esterbrook

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 23Larsen

23Larsen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2014 - 21:24

A month or so ago i got myself my first Esterbrook. The odd thing about it was that it came with a gold nib. As far as i understand this is not an original Esterbrook nib, so someone swapped it at some point. I thought i would post it here and se if someone recognized the nib. 

I like this nib a lot. It offers some flex and does it while remaining smooth, and i don´t quite know how to explain it. It just feels right for me and offers more control over my handwriting than i´m normally used to.

dIuEOmj.jpg

I only have my iPhone available for taking photos so this was the best i could get of the nib. Below the symbol it says 14K, and below that again it says 585.

eoSfsQM.jpg

vhlvt7B.jpg

The line is finer than any pen i have so i´ll assume it is an XF. Picture show some railroading but it does so mostly when i try to go to fast. 

If you recognize the nib, and perhaps have one yourself you might give it a go on an Esterbrook :)

Sponsored Content

#2 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2014 - 21:31

That does not look like a Estie original to me.

It is certainly possible to get Gold coloured nibs the Estie 3314 being one such example, which goldtone Burnham nibs will also fit.

It is also possible to find 14ct Esterbrook nibs on some English made models, which from my experience are good writers

#3 mtbradley

mtbradley

Settling in...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2014 - 23:38

I can't help with ID, but the 585 is the parts per thousand of gold - equivalent to about 14kt.

Matt

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sailor Pro Gear Apres Ski M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Esterbrook J Gray 9668 with Robert Oster Stormy Seas; TWSBI Vac700R M with Robert Oster Grey Seas; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator M with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Faber-Castell Goldfaber 1221 HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

#4 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 13:51

Nope, not original, but surely a neat looking nib!  English 3312/3314 nibs were gold plated, but there were some 14ct Relief renew-points made in England for their double jewel Relief pens.  If you like it and it works, it looks like a lot of fun, so why not enjoy it?  :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#5 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 18:10

That's a really interesting nib, and it has the kind of flex a lot of people yearn for.  Very nice.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2014 - 18:32

I have an Elect-a-Point 120 Flex on one of my Esties, and I believe it's a gold nib.  It's a nice fine line, and is really smooth across paper.

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:06

I have an Elect-a-Point 120 Flex on one of my Esties, and I believe it's a gold nib.  It's a nice fine line, and is really smooth across paper.

Nice.  That's probably a nicer flex nib, easier to flex than the Esterbrook steel flexible nibs like the 9048, etc. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#8 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2014 - 16:35

t would look better on a brown J but nevertheless,  keep  writing since it is a so very a good nib.  

#9 23Larsen

23Larsen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:27

I was hoping this nib was well known or at least somewhat familiar to someone. That would have made my post at least a little helpful for those who had the same nib and could try it out on their own Esterbrook. 

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys! :)  

Clearly i´m very pleased with my first Esterbrook and its not just the nib, the size of the is also very much to my liking. I hope i come across a blue one at some point, i like that color far more than the one i have currently. I gather that kind of thinking can be dangerous when dealing with Esterbrooks...

With regards to what i said about the nib in the original post i think i can explain what i like about it a little better. It is very responsive. Meaning that when i flex it, and then let go of the pressure, its snaps back to its original shape and line really quickly.  I´m still a novice with fountain pens so i was not aware of the difference that makes when your writing. I know my handwriting is not all that, but the writing sample i posted is the nicest i have ever written. Much of it is due to the nib. 

#10 Conradandhispens

Conradandhispens

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:06

Hmm, I'm not sure what that nib is but I think I might try this at some point with a gold nib I have lying around.

#11 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,018 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:21

It is a German nib, quite well known, but not my area of expertise

#12 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:53

It is a German nib, quite well known, but not my area of expertise

I believe it is a Degussa nib.

#13 BamaPen

BamaPen

Learning from y'all

• Member - Gold

• 998 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2019 - 21:38

Hmm, I'm not sure what that nib is but I think I might try this at some point with a gold nib I have lying around.

I have two Esties with gold nibs. One pen I bought on ebay and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived with an Eversharp Skyline nib in the Renew Point assembly instead of a regular steel Estie nib. The other I made myself after seeing that first one. I happened to have a Warranted 14K nib of the right size and fitted it into a Renew Point feed/collar that had a ruined nib.Here's a link to a post on my blog about those two, including how I made the second one:

https://cigarboxpens...nkenpen-iii-½/

#14 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 22:13

There was a group of us experimenting with nibs and feeds for a while, producing various Estie Franken pens. The Eversharp Skyline worked well. Here is a J model I put together as a gift for my daughter.

sashaspen.png

#15 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 22:19

The Conklin Toledo #2 from the 1920s is a smaller nib but can be made to fit and is a nice way to get a bit of vintage softness to a pen that you use frequently.

LILY-3.JPG

#16 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 22:34

I have two Esties with gold nibs. One pen I bought on ebay and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived with an Eversharp Skyline nib in the Renew Point assembly instead of a regular steel Estie nib. The other I made myself after seeing that first one. I happened to have a Warranted 14K nib of the right size and fitted it into a Renew Point feed/collar that had a ruined nib.Here's a link to a post on my blog about those two, including how I made the second one:

https://cigarboxpens...nkenpen-iii-½/

There is a little more to it than you mention in your instructions for changing the nib. You got lucky. There are 3 different collar assembly types depending on the year of manufacture. Some are not held in by friction, or by the crimps, but by a pin that is driven through the collar. If you try to knock the feed out without first first driving the pin feed out, you will have a broken collar. If you are looking for collars to experiment with, try to find Venus ones. They are made of a different type of plastic, which is more pliable and more forgiving. I have succeeded in putting a huge #14 size nib in one using a Venus collar.

#17 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2019 - 23:23

There was a group of us experimenting with nibs and feeds for a while, producing various Estie Franken pens. The Eversharp Skyline worked well. Here is a J model I put together as a gift for my daughter.

attachicon.gif sashaspen.png

The white jewel on the cap is interesting.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#18 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2019 - 00:36

The white jewel on the cap is interesting.

It is an opal which was cut and mounted as the cap jewel.

Sponsored Content

|