Lamy 2000 Makrolon Discoloration

camd

I just received a new Lamy 2000 multi-pen from Amazon. I have a Lamy 2000 fountain pen, so I was excited to have a ballpoint version as well. However, while my fountain pen is a beautiful black color, the ballpoint is weirdly discolored and is slightly greyish instead of black. It does not show well in photos, but it definitely looks discolored and not just manufactured in a slightly different shade.

I have googled the issue, and there are a few mentions about discoloration of the makrolon material that the Lamy is made of, but a number of people have suggested that it will go away with time. I've attempted some spot cleaning on the pen, and it does not appear that the discoloration is in any way temporary.

I would be curious if anyone else has any experience or opinions on this matter. My current plan is to return the pen, as it is (in my humble opinion) quite ugly - particularly beside its beautiful fountain pen sibling on my desk.

The ballpoint pen is on the right in the attached photos, with the fountain pen on the left.

post-61205-0-75108100-1412721061_thumb.jpg

post-61205-0-00630300-1412721068_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camd

• arcadeflow

• KBeezie

• soapytwist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since most of the Makron is brushed to hide micro-scratches, that 'whiteness' in between the brushing will slowly go away as you use/handle the pen and wear down the raised/brushed part.

But I don't know if all the pens are that pale, or just the BP or just the one you have. If it's annoying enough you can always have it exchanged.

Edited by KBeezie

The makrolon is supposed to become polished with time as you use it, and that FP looks quite polished, so that might be why the FP is darker.

Lamy 2000 - Fine - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Rialto - Medium - Diamine Onyx Black

Parker Sonnet - M. Italic - Diamine Ruby Red

Waterman Hemisphere - Medium - Diamine Majestic Blue

Parker Frontier, IM | Sheaffer Crest | Noodler's Flex

Since most of the Makron is brushed to hide micro-scratches, that 'whiteness' in between the brushing will slowly go away as you use/handle the pen and wear down the raised/brushed part.

But I don't know if all the pens are that pale, or just the BP or just the one you have. If it's annoying enough you can always have it exchanged.

I've noticed that others have mentioned that the whiteness will go away over time, but my fountain pen came jet black - no discoloration at all. Furthermore, it covers the entire pen, so I can't see how using it will eliminate this.

Is there a method to remove the whiteness in between the brushing? The current appearance is certainly not acceptable (to me) for a pen in this price range.

The makrolon is supposed to become polished with time as you use it, and that FP looks quite polished, so that might be why the FP is darker.

The fountain pen was black when it was purchased. If it had been grey like the ballpoint, I would not have bought it.

If you don't like it, Amazon does have a great return policy. To me, it looks like the newer one is just newer. The makralon can develop a patina over time that is darker, but I can understand your frustration. If you return it to Amazon, you could find a dealer who will look at the pen before they send it to see if they can find one that is dark when you buy it. Goulet Pens would definitely help you get what you want. Fountain Pen Hospital may as well.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

The fountain pen was black when it was purchased. If it had been grey like the ballpoint, I would not have bought it.

I can concur that the Lamy 2000 is pretty black brand new even if it's still 'brushed'.

Though it did have 'some' whiteness to it, I can't see it after about a week of using it. (I think it depends on the dust around it).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/lamy2k/unboxed.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/lamy2k/uncapped.jpg

But it's not quite like that ballpoint.

• 2 months later...

Did you read thru the thread? The reason isn't quite so shocking.

Haha yup

I actually prefer the looks of it worn out

Flex Away :D

post-118150-0-23786200-1420009888.png

The ballpoint is not discolored. The surface of a new Lamy 2000 writing instrument will appear like a dark gray when compared with a 2000 series instrument that has been used for some time. The surface will acquire a 'patina' and appear darker, over time.

I recently purchased a new multi-pen 2000 to replace an older, damaged pen, and the new pen looks similar to yours, when placed next to the older one. My 0.7 mm 2000 mechanical pencil is the darkest and shiniest 2000 series instrument in my collection because I have used it so much.

Over time, it's normal for the surface of 2000 series instruments to get darker and shinier. I enjoy that aspect of Gerd Muller's wonderful, timeless design.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

Mine was almost brown in spots when I first got it. I hated it. But loved how the pen wrote and so kept it and used it every day. It got good and black pretty quick. I was sure I had gotten a bad one. But nope. After a couple weeks of constant use and carrying it around every day got to look pretty much like every other Lamy 2k.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

The ballpoint is not discolored. The surface of a new Lamy 2000 writing instrument will appear like a dark gray when compared with a 2000 series instrument that has been used for some time. The surface will acquire a 'patina' and appear darker, over time.

I recently purchased a new multi-pen 2000 to replace an older, damaged pen, and the new pen looks similar to yours, when placed next to the older one. My 0.7 mm 2000 mechanical pencil is the darkest and shiniest 2000 series instrument in my collection because I have used it so much.

Over time, it's normal for the surface of 2000 series instruments to get darker and shinier. I enjoy that aspect of Gerd Muller's wonderful, timeless design.

/Robert

I definitely disagree. It was discoloured and looked terrible, and so I returned it. If this is a common problem, Lamy needs to improve their quality control. I am much happier with the replacement I purchased that does not have the discolouration.

Yes and I also preferred all my 2000 series in its used condition, makes it more timeless-looking.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I definitely disagree. It was discoloured and looked terrible, and so I returned it. If this is a common problem, Lamy needs to improve their quality control. I am much happier with the replacement I purchased that does not have the discolouration.

Please post pictures comparing the two pens again so we can have evidence of this problem. Thanks

Please post pictures comparing the two pens again so we can have evidence of this problem. Thanks

The pictures are posted at the start of this thread.

The pictures are posted at the start of this thread.

I mean a picture with your new pen compared to the one you already had, so we can compare to the old picture and notice how the returned pen was really discolored.

Doesn't look like discoloration to me...the pen is very new, and the finish is made to look like that on purpose. With hand wear it will darken...in time

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)