Parker 51 Plum

daffie

Goodmorning!

Today I received my first 51 plum!

I am happy with it. It is in used, but in fair condition.

On the barrel is datecode '8'. The filler has the '6 times' and the 'superchrome ink' text on it.

Regards,

daffie

post-106033-0-59798700-1412670781_thumb.jpg

post-106033-0-76091200-1412670798_thumb.jpg

post-106033-0-86383300-1412670814_thumb.jpg

Edited by daffie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• OcalaFlGuy

• daffie

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice and lucky you!

I've seen precisely one plum on eBay and I did not bid on it at the request of another FPN member. What an absolute fool I was. Not seen another since. I think that ship has sailed for me.

I bought a lot of five Parkers: a Rialto FP, a VP and three Parker 51. One of those 51's is this plum.

I paid 80 Euros for all five together. I think that it was a bargain.

Regards,

daffie

I am still not certain what constitutes "plum".. Is it a shade of "maroon". Was the P51 offered in "maroon" ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am still not certain what constitutes "plum".. Is it a shade of "maroon". Was the P51 offered in "maroon" ?

In some lightning it looks like black, but it is a very dark purple.

Next to maroon, burgundy or brown it is very different.

I am also on the lookout for a Parker 51 plum. I miiiight have just won one on eBay. It doesn't say plum in the description, but the pictures look right. The seller doesn't have any other pens listed, so I'm hopeful that s/he didn't know what they had and I got super lucky. I'll know in a few days!

Don't believe everything you think.

Sasha R. take a look on Richard Binder's site, he has all the P51 colours there. Under some kinds of artificial light, Plum is hard to tell from Burgundy, but in daylight, or LED light the difference is quite clear.

I've noticed that the Plum 51s have a slight tendency to track to the left and drift slightly uphill when writing.

Probably just me but the pen here looks to be brownish.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Farmboy said: Probably just me but the pen here looks to be brownish.

I think you will agree with me that it is very difficult te make a good photo of the plum colour.

I made another one, sorry, better than this is impossible for me.

post-106033-0-34867200-1412692933_thumb.jpg

Edited by daffie

Even if it turns out to not be Plum, it's still a nice pen. Is it full sized or a Demi? I have a Demi that I'm pretty certain is Plum, but has a Lustraloy cap. I have half considered swapping the GF cap on my Teal for the Lustraloy cap, just because I think the GF cap would look stellar. But then I go, "naah, the GF looks too good on the Teal pen...."
I don't worry that mine is user grade. Because I use it (right now it has Noodler's Purple Heart in it; a couple of months ago I used Diamine Eclipse). I got a pretty good deal on it -- not a sumgai by any stretch of the imagination, but a good deal (which shocked and amazed me -- pretty much every one I've seen before or since went for way more, except for the one Farmersmum got the same weekend -- a listing *I* ignored :wallbash: because the seller said the pen was black; I couldn't believe that I'd actually won the auction, let alone for under my maximum bid...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice and lucky you!

I've seen precisely one plum on eBay and I did not bid on it at the request of another FPN member. What an absolute fool I was. Not seen another since. I think that ship has sailed for me.

I know the auction you speak of.

You would likely have been outbid, it wasn't even a full size Plummer and you would have only made another FPNer (not me) pay more.

That other bidder was prepared to go Hard for that pen. They Wanted the Demi.

And yes, you Did help them get a decent deal. That IS a deposit in your Pen Kharma account.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

You would likely have been outbid

That's an unsupported assumption quite frankly, but kind of irrelevant now.

And yes, you Did help them get a decent deal. That IS a deposit in your Pen Kharma account.

In my case this means that people (FPN member) offer me half the price for a pen that I inked once, and think it is a fair offer. A pen, I should add, that was fully serviced by PSP and bought just 5 months ago. I don't appreciate that kind of attempt to exploit my situation.

So perhaps you will forgive me if I am not exactly thrilled by the whole 'pen karma' thing.

This is not a dig at you, Bruce, I know you mean well.

In my case this means that people (FPN member) offer me half the price for a pen that I inked once, and think it is a fair offer. A pen, I should add, that was fully serviced by PSP and bought just 5 months ago. I don't appreciate that kind of attempt to exploit my situation.

So perhaps you will forgive me if I am not exactly thrilled by the whole 'pen karma' thing.

This is not a dig at you, Bruce, I know you mean well.

It sounds like you feel worse after not bidding, so maybe you should just have gone ahead and bid up to your maximum price then. After all, no-one would ever have known unless you told them.

ME, make an unsupported assumption?

That's a joke, right?

Actually, you pretty much supported it Yourself. I'm confident in what I said.

Remember, at that same time you were making multiple posts here telling everyone exactly what you wanted to pay for a 51.

I also know exactly how high the Other person was willing to go.

If there can be anything dumber than a bidding war, it's a bidding war between FPNers where one party knows in advance they'll be the lower bidder.

I would NEVER Knowingly bid against another FPNer in a situation like that.

And yes, I've had Other conversations backchannel where other members and I discussed out our bidding plans for a certain item.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

No, it's not a joke, but perhaps it needs to be explained.

Bruce, what I said publicly about my general level of potential investment (for a regular, non-collector type 51) and what I might be prepared to actually invest (that is not public knowledge) in something I really wanted (the plum) are two entirely different things. You had the first piece of information only and made your assumption based on that. Fair enough, you used what you had. It makes no real difference.

However, as they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and this was my road.

I was good for my word. Always have been. That it has turned out to be another one-way street is neither surprising nor any longer disappointing. It has become an accepted 21st century more, as far as my personal experiences in RL have shown. Despite that, I cannot help myself. I would do it again under the same circumstances.

Given the world at large I have no doubt this will rapidly be seen as a character flaw.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Edited by Cryptos

I think in general you guys don't pay enough...unless you overpay for a plum.

Also, the new picture...Plum.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

. It has become an accepted 21st century more, as far as my personal experiences in RL have shown.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/shrug.gif

more, presumably you mean a custom. From the Latin mos, moris. "Mores" would be the plural, amd "more" is not singular. "Mos" is the singular, but clearly would not likely be understood in todays world. Better not to use Latin if the correct gramatical number will not work or be understood by the readers.

This would be my crank post for the day, from a language major who couldn't take this one.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Didn't know that. Never learned Latin, but had heard of mores, knew it was plural, thought 'more' was less.

Edited by Cryptos