Pilot Custom 74/742 Sections Interchangeable?

TFForever

So a while ago, I got a 742 with an FA nib which I don't really use, and would like to get a SFM instead.

After talking to Taizo, he basically said (as others have chimed in as well) that it was worth just getting another new pen altogether.

The 74 is much cheaper. I realize that the nib size is smaller (a #5 vs a #10 nib?). I wouldn't mind getting a 74 but I prefer the size of my 742. If I got the 74, can I swap the section into my 742 barrel? Will it thread?

I haven't seen anyone mention this. I think it might be possible since the the new rhodium falcon section fits in the metal falcon body as well, and the metal body is larger than the resin version.

Does anyone have a 74 and 742 and can check?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TFForever

• lgsoltek

• hari317

• rutherfordr

900 and 800 series might be different; the 74x series are very similar. I know there are members who own both--comment?

i have the pens, i will check when i go home from work and tell you. Most probably they will not interchange.

the 742 and 743 will most probably interchange, you can see here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/101033-pilot-custom-743-vs-742/

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have both, and I just tried to swap the sections, but they definitely don't fit.

In fact, it's not even close -- the 742 barrel completely covers over the threads on the 74 section, and the 74 barrel is stopped by the rim of the 742 section.

Scientia potentia est.

I have both, and I just tried to swap the sections, but they definitely don't fit.

In fact, it's not even close -- the 742 barrel completely covers over the threads on the 74 section, and the 74 barrel is stopped by the rim of the 742 section.

thank you.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Here is a question. Will the nib and feed from a Custom 74 fit a Custom 742 or 743? I'd like to get other nibs as the FA is very finicky.

I have both a 742 and a 743 both with an FA nib. I've lost the feed for the 743 down the sink. Unable to recover from the u-bend (it's not there, I checked). Bugger.

Matt

Here is a question. Will the nib and feed from a Custom 74 fit a Custom 742 or 743? I'd like to get other nibs as the FA is very finicky.

I have both a 742 and a 743 both with an FA nib. I've lost the feed for the 743 down the sink. Unable to recover from the u-bend (it's not there, I checked). Bugger.

Matt

It won't. 912 and 742 is interchangeable. That's about it. 743 might be interchangeable with a 823 since they're both #15s, but I'm not absolutely certain.

• 1 year later...

The 912 and 742 are interchangeable. Both are #10 nibs. I've done it before.

The 743 and 823 are interchangeable. Both are #15 nibs. I've done it too.

Is the 742 #10 nib interchangeable with the 823 #15 nib? Not a big fan of my F 823 nib and would love to change it for the falcon nib in my 742

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Is the 742 #10 nib interchangeable with the 823 #15 nib? Not a big fan of my F 823 nib and would love to change it for the falcon nib in my 742

No they (#10 nib and #15 nib) are not interchangeable.

However the #15 nib on 743 is interchangeable with 823. That's actually where my 823 with FA nib comes from: I bought a 743 FA, swapped the FA nib to my 823 F, then sold the 743.