Leadholders or clutch pencil

anywho3

Which leadholder or clutch pencil do you like?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which leadholder or clutch pencil do you like?

• Steadler Mars Leadholder 780 2mm
    • Faber Castell E-Motion 1.4mm
    • Faber Castell TK4600 Clutch 2mm
    • Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L Pencil (various width)
    • Pilot Croquis Artists' Pencils 3mm
    • Lamy Scribble Pencil 3.15mm
    • Tombow 707 Pencil
    • Faber Castell Perfect Pencil
    • Montblanc Leonardo Sketch Pencil
    • What's a leadholder?
    • I never use pencils

Man, this topic takes me back. My father never used fountain pens, and never used wood pencils -- but he and his Staedler mechanical pencil were inseparable. Thing must have been 30 years old. Alas, one of my ten brothers & sisters must have made off with it when he died a couple years back. :headsmack:

I remember he had a large rotating lead sharpener, maybe four inches across, and would let me sharpen his pencil when it got dull. And then he had to yell at me that the lead had been sufficiently sharpened, and all I was doing at that point was wasting graphite.

Why must children sharpen pencils down to a nub? It's compulsive for the pre-teen mind. Ah, I digress.

With that kind of nostalgia associated, I have to go with the 780.

Where would I go to buy one? Art supply store? College bookstore?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anywho3

• Latro21

• TMLee

• tjwarren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, this topic takes me back. My father never used fountain pens, and never used wood pencils -- but he and his Staedler mechanical pencil were inseparable. Thing must have been 30 years old. Alas, one of my ten brothers & sisters must have made off with it when he died a couple years back. :headsmack:

I remember he had a large rotating lead sharpener, maybe four inches across, and would let me sharpen his pencil when it got dull. And then he had to yell at me that the lead had been sufficiently sharpened, and all I was doing at that point was wasting graphite.

Why must children sharpen pencils down to a nub? It's compulsive for the pre-teen mind. Ah, I digress.

With that kind of nostalgia associated, I have to go with the 780.

Where would I go to buy one? Art supply store? College bookstore?

If I recall, there is a hole on the cap of teh 780 as well.... is it a sharpener too ?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I like the Koh I Noor Versatil 2mm. It's cheap and durable.

Hi I have seen it but I cannot find a company or website that sells it in England!

The only one I have has got extortionate postage and packing so I decided not to get that one.

What are peoples thoughts on type of lead? I have got the steadler with a HB lead but I find myself pressing too hard. I think I need a 2B or maybe darker

I got a Versatil 2mm here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Temecula-Pens_LEAD-...3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Here is another good source, this seller recommended by leadholder.com.

http://stores.ebay.com/ANDREYS-PENCILS_MEC...8QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Cheers,

Laura

What are peoples thoughts on type of lead? I have got the steadler with a HB lead but I find myself pressing too hard. I think I need a 2B or maybe darker

I use 5B lead.

I would buy 6B or even 9B if I see them in the stores but have yet to ...

The darkness of the lead is a great advantage and allows great variation in sketches. You shld try it and see for yrself.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I am not sure if anyone has gone to Dave's Mechanical Pencils recently but there is this OHTO pencil that looks super cool. The link is http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com...mechanical.html

And it seems to be fantastic!

The only drawback is I can't get the bloody things in England (Jetpens sells them in America)

Check it out. Dave has found a real gem

post-4574-1183196488_thumb.jpg

The Super promecha is AMAZING!

I have one in .3mm lead, and Itsone of my favorite pencils.

You can ajust almost everything- how much lead comes out, how long the sleeve is etc.

I've dealt with this seller for pencils, and he has the best selection of pencils anywhere!

http://stores.ebay.com/ANDREYS-PENCILS_W0Q...9QQftidZ2QQtZkm

OHTO - Super Promecha (.3 mm, .4 mm, .5mm , .7mm, and .9mm)

http://stores.ebay.com/ANDREYS-PENCILS_MEC...5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

i just picked up the staedtler 980 [the only one ive found in stores] and its decent for being an inexpensive plastic bodied lead holder. the clip on it downright blows goats, but its nice and light and the weight is all at the tip end due to the metal grip so its comfortable for extended use.

-Nick

I am really getting into pencils at the moment

I have got the Staedler and I have just ordered the Faber Castell Tk4600 and wanted to know what other people think or if people have any other favourite pencils?

My favorite clutch pencils are those made by Mabie Todd from 1910 to around 1920 :thumbup: Here's an example of a specially made acid-etched sterling magazine pencil with company name. etc.

post-393-1183379076_thumb.jpg

Once again, my philistinity shows. My pencil of preference is a Pentel Twist-Erase QE517 0.7mm, currently filled with HB, but I'll be refilling with B (if I can find it in the very rural, small-town sort of area in which I live). I might actually need more leads for it before the decade is over, but that is by no means certain. I don't draw, so pencils are not a big thing for me.

these two pencils alone got me through 4 years of college.

Staedler 2mm or pentel sharp all the way

inka binka

bottle of ink

the cork fell out

and you stink

Ah...mechanical pencils....

I feel that the different occasions call upon different pencils. I feel pentel makes good mechanical pencils.

So far as I can recall I have been using

1) Pentel Sharplet-2 - the 0.3mm and 0.5mm - plain and simple no fuss mech. pencils

2) Pentel SensiGrip - 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm - nice rubber grip

3) Faber Castell TK4600 - 2mm - looks different (as everyone uses a clutch these days) but too thin

4) Pentel Fiesta - 0.5mm - A rubbish pencil with a plastic sleeve that will crack

5) Pentel Pro/Am (P225) - 0.5mm - A classic pencil that my mother used during her night classes but lost it. (been looking high and low in Malaysia but can't seem to find it)

6) Pilot Croquis - Don't really use it as I don't sketch ...wanted to at the time I bought it, but didn't really happen.