Leadholders or clutch pencil

anywho3

Which leadholder or clutch pencil do you like?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which leadholder or clutch pencil do you like?

• Steadler Mars Leadholder 780 2mm
    • Faber Castell E-Motion 1.4mm
    • Faber Castell TK4600 Clutch 2mm
    • Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L Pencil (various width)
    • Pilot Croquis Artists' Pencils 3mm
    • Lamy Scribble Pencil 3.15mm
    • Tombow 707 Pencil
    • Faber Castell Perfect Pencil
    • Montblanc Leonardo Sketch Pencil
    • What's a leadholder?
    • I never use pencils

I am really getting into pencils at the moment

I have got the Staedler and I have just ordered the Faber Castell Tk4600 and wanted to know what other people think or if people have any other favourite pencils?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anywho3

• Latro21

• TMLee

• tjwarren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Bexley Multi-Max leadholder (5.6 mm graphite), but it's not on your list. Levenger makes a very attractive leadholder, too. I like the Bexley because it's quite substantial and easy to hold. The bigger piece of graphite holds it's point longer, too. However, it's more difficult to sharpen.

I havent used any of those but I had a pentel that is very similar to the staedler and I like it. I just found out about the pencil world and that what lead me to the FP world too.

Let us know how you like the faber castell. I wouldnt mind getting another one.

I like the lead holders but having the lack of sharpening (doesnt like cap sharpener) keeps me from getting anohter one for note taking in class.

I am getting a Alvin Draftmatic today...cant wait.

Edited by CrAckErKorEaN

That's an interesting web site, I had not seen it before. I have several of the lead holders they display, including the huge Lyra Graphite Rod holder. They make great sketching tools for larger scale drawings, no way you can get caught up in too much detail! wink.gif

I voted for my Faber Castell E-Motion as a regular carry sketch pencil, wonderful tool.

Joe

QUOTE (jsonewald @ Mar 15 2007, 08:28 PM)
My favorite is a Caran D'Ache 3.xmm. It is one of those drawing tools that just become part of my hand.

Here's a fun site if you're into drafting type leadholders:

http://www.leadholder.com

Hi I would like to know whcih Carad D'Ache pencil you are talking about?

Also I have looked at that website but I disliked the layout and found it hard to navigate.

Here is a more user friendly website and personally think much better!

Give it a go!

http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/

Hi,

It's the Fixpencil I think. I gave up on the Staedtler 780s because I'm allergic to the nickel plating in the nosecone. I just had a pair of Caran d'ache Fixpencil 22s (2mm) and a pair of Fixpencil 3s (3MM) ordered from an art supply store. I have the lead (I've had other pencils before, but I gave up on them), but I don't have the pencils yet.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

QUOTE (jonro @ Mar 15 2007, 01:45 PM)
I have a Bexley Multi-Max leadholder (5.6 mm graphite), but it's not on your list. Levenger makes a very attractive leadholder, too. I like the Bexley because it's quite substantial and easy to hold. The bigger piece of graphite holds it's point longer, too. However, it's more difficult to sharpen.

Hi

I believe Faber Castell and Steadler do sharpeners but they don't use the word "sharpener" instead they use the word "leadpointer" hopefully if you type that into a search engine then it will find some for you. I think you'll probably find them in arty type shops

Not specifically asked for, but I like the Alvin Draft-Matic 0.5 mm auto pencil. Always sharp, with a spring loaded lead holder which keeps the lead from breaking (unless you push *REALLY* hard). I love the weight, the diameter, and especially the knurled grip.

Turning this pencil into a pen is my ultimate inky desire.

To be fair, I've never tried a leadholder.

ETA: Picture, this is the 0.7 mm, but the only thing different is the color.

post-4-1174160293_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjwarren

Thanks tjwarren I have not heard of the Alvin Draft-Matic but your thoughts and opinions are welcome just the same!

I would class a leadholder as a pencil that has got a 2mm lead or wider. But there is no hard and fast rules when it comes to defining a mechanical pencil.

But check out this badbody of a pencil. The TK fine vario that can switch from a "hard" setting for technical drawing to a "soft" setting for writing and notetaking!

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Faber-Cas...rio_Pencil.html

post-4-1174153338_thumb.jpg

I am afraid I have the same prejudice regarding pencils as I do with fountain pens - I don't like metal grips. I just do not feel comfortable using them and I acknowledge it is a personal issue. For this reason, I like the Faber-Castle E-Motion pencils for their organic wood bodies and regular old plastic grips, and for the neat writing lead. I have one in my office, and one I carry with me in my backpack. Both get a lot of use.

QUOTE (mr T. @ Mar 18 2007, 09:58 AM)
I like the Koh I Noor Versatil 2mm. It's cheap and durable.

Hi I have seen it but I cannot find a company or website that sells it in England!

The only one I have has got extortionate postage and packing so I decided not to get that one.

What are peoples thoughts on type of lead? I have got the steadler with a HB lead but I find myself pressing too hard. I think I need a 2B or maybe darker

I couldn't vote, sad.gif My fave wasn't listed.

The only time I ever use a pencil, is to draw, then I use a fatty, 5.6 leads.

Shameless plug, my favorite, is a Penchetta drop lead 5.6, preferablly in resin. cool.gif

post-4-1174584745_thumb.jpg

Ciao, Tony at Penchetta Pen & Knife

Penchetta - Fine writing Instruments

The only one I have has got extortionate postage and packing so I decided not to get that one.

Maybe you could send an e-mail message about this to the manufacturer. The adress is sales@koh-i-noor.cz

Edited by mr T.

Hi Mr. T

It is not sold by a pen supplier but a site that sells all sorts of things.

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/

In fact it sells special calf leather wipes for the nib of a pen! But do you think if I write to that email address they will be able to help me?

I have a few mechanical pencils here, but I really prefer wood-cased pencils. Much more comfortable, and it's not a tragedy if one gets lost. PencilThings.com is my favorite supplier online. If you want a wooden pencil, no matter what manufacturer or what specialty type, he's got it. Also sharpeners, clips, point protectors, boxes, and a nice selection of mechanical pencils. I've been a customer since the day they opened up (maybe even a day or two before), thanks to the late lamented Pencil Revolution weblog.

But do you think if I write to that email address they will be able to help me?

Maybe they can give you an adress where you can buy them. It is the e-mail adress of the manufacturer, and they probably know where their products are shipped to. Also, the Versatil leadholders are mostly sold in shops for art supplies/artists (for brands like Lyra or Conte it is the same).

Found also nice links about leadholders. You can find it here

Also interesting is this one. Some 0,3, 0,5 and 0,7 mm leadholders are reviewed here..

Edited by mr T.