Winsor And Newton Inks

sobalamandra

I don't know if this topic will interest someone because :

1) these inks (if I'm not mistaken) shouldn't be used in fountain pens because even if it says on the box that they are "suitable for use in a stylus pen", they contain shellac, which is not something one should put in a pen ;

2) the bottles I used were my mother's and they have slept in their box for the last 20 or 30 years, and some of them were almost completely dry and I had to add some water in order to be able to complete my samples (Emerald, for example).

However, here are the eight colours I found. The first picture was taken in daylight, followed by another one, taken by night with the lights on, where I tried to make a side-by-side comparison with other similar inks that I had. So the colours are not perfectly accurate, but still, I thought that it would be interesting to share!

The fun part is that all Winsor and Newton inks can be mixed together. I haven't tried it, but I guess one could make some pretty interesting new colours with those slightly boring (in my humble opinion) ones!

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/originals/1f/82/4f/1f824f38661eb8038f366b8e075d7029.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/4f/3a/61/4f3a61ef8c287e43ee306add99d83a89.jpg

Edited by sobalamandra

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• amberleadavis

• sobalamandra

• Cyber6

Thank you for sharing. I bought ones tjat claimed yo be FP friendly. They were not, but they were pretty.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

GREAT work Sobalamandra !!!

Winsor and Newton are the precursor to my inky passion.. Growing up I used to have 20 - 30 bottles of them.

I guess that's how I started .. and it has been all downhill since... ;)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

W&N Blue looks very nice and the orange looks reminiscent of their yellow ochre acrylic paint. What do the bottles look like?

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

Reminds me of the first time I used a dip pen, after seeing some by the till in an art shop. Winsor & Newton violet and apple green, and a broad Mitchell round hand on some laid paper. Great fun, especially if you let the shellac dry on the pen so it can flake off while you write. :)

The bottles, TheRealScubaSteve, look like these. Often been tempted by the wooden box, and I should try their gold and silver when my Artline metallic paint markers run out...

I wonder if dried shellac would stay dry if added to ink. Put a bunch in a coffee grinder to get it nice and fine and you'd have one hell of a sheening ink! A metal looking ink would be really cool, too, if it were safe for FPs. There must be a way to do it - I'm thinking of J. Herbin's anniversary inks that sheen with gold flecks.

• 6 months later...

I was given a set of these inks by my un-knowing Aunt as a present, rather than just using them for dip writing which I only do occasionally, I have been using a bought for the purpose Jinhao X450 which cost me €1 including delivery.

I have found I can use them for a week with no real problem apart from the odd hard start 1st thing in the morning.

As I always flush my pens after a week as I have little choice in paper at work - cheapest copy paper they can find - I have been doing this for a month now and the X450 is still working fine.

I admit I might wreck the pen doing so but for €1 I get some really bright colours to add to my rainbow.

I would agree with the warning of not using these in expensive pens, but get a cheap pen and experiment with them.

We are not normal people we are fountain pen users, we laugh in the face of convention and tweak the nose of sensibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing!

I have been thinking about getting the W&N Red Violet drawing ink for my dip pens. I have heard they are great quality and the colors look so vibrant in all the photos!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1