Best felt/fibre tip pen?

marklavar

I'm curious to hear opinions are to which is the best fibre tip/fineliner pen? I'm generally keener on these than I am on rollerballs (just personal preference) and it's my second writing medium after the fountain pen.

In my experience I have found cheap, disposable fibre tip/fineliner pens to be pretty good, but not very long lasting, for obvious reasons. The best ones I've tried have been from Stabilo, Staedler and Pilot.

What about the ones from established high-end pen brands? So far, I have only tried the Montblanc fineliner and it's not bad at all. What about the others?

Edited by marklavar

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLD

• marklavar

• NeoTiger

• ian1964

I tried the Montblanc fineliner some months ago and purchased one. I've been pleased with it and the refills seem to last quite a while (Still on the original one).

Steve

I quite like the Uni brand uni-pin fine line pens. The tips have a nice feel, and the ink is water/fade proof. Comes in a range of sizes and colours too, although I prefer the black 0.5mm.

Over the years I have tried a bunch of different types, and generally, as I get to one I like, it gets discontinued. Years ago, Pentel had one that, for the life of me, I think had bamboo fibers for the nib. Loved those. Lasted for ever and wrote like a dream. Discontinued.

The orginal Papermate Flairs were great, the new ones are okay, but it seems the ink formula has changed. Could be just an impression...

My current favorite is the "SHARPIE". Permanent as all get out, comes in about four different nib styles, from chisel to ultra-fine and colors as well.

Empty (or Null) Ant Hill (or Mole Hill) (depending on transliteration, seem to be unreliable and the ink formula is not all that great.

Bill

I have both the Staedtler Triplus and Micron Pigma fineliners.

The Triplus is a bit on the narrow side, favour the Micron.

They are great for use on the 'thermal' creditcard slips. *grin* Where no fountain pen should go.

Has anyone tried the new (to me at least) Monteverde fiber tips? I keep looking at the gorgeous colors of the refills (the body of the pen is clear), but never quite get to ordering one.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I am a big fan of the Faber Castell Pitt Artist pen, black in size S. Good fine point, permanent ink, and works very well on any kind of paper, toothy to the smooth credit card rolls. I carry one of these, a Pilot VP-fine and $5 Sheaffer Fine Italic caligraphy pen with me in a 3 slot leather antique cigar slip case.

Used to carry around the Pigma Micron .005, loved the very fine line but they leak all over the place when they go on an airplane trip, so they stay in the studio.

I like the Flair and used to carry it for fast sketches but it has water soluble ink and it can smear easily. A neat effect if you are looking to do it deliberately. The other down side is folks will want to borrow it and the fine point is IMMEDIATELY destroyed when they try to emboss the paper with it like they would use a ball point.

Joe

Waterman do a rather nice fibre tip that can be used instead of the rollerball refill in their pens. I have an Expert with a red fibre tip refill in it. I think the refills also come in different thicknesses - I have a fine tip, and I have seen extra fine tips available. They aren't that easy to find but Cult Pens does them.

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>

Has anyone tried the new (to me at least) Monteverde fiber tips? I keep looking at the gorgeous colors of the refills (the body of the pen is clear), but never quite get to ordering one.

Tricia,

I was looking at an ad for those earlier this week. They also are developing a brush point refill. It's not in production yet and the distributor does not know when they will be available.

Steve

• 8 years later...

I have just emptied and refilled a Pilot V Razor fine point, fiber tipped pen, with Noodler's #41 Brown fountain pen ink.

I am very happy with the results. It writes so smooth, and dries instantly, and is more durable than any of my fountain pens. I have been curious about trying Noodler's #41 Brown fountain pen ink in a Pilot V Razor for quite some time. Today I did it, I pulled the V Razor's section out with pliers and refilled with a syringe, just like one of my eye-dropper pens, then pushed the section back in until it clicked, and began writing. I didn't rinse the section, I wanted the black ink to pull the brown ink via normal capillary action, and it did very nicely.

Over the last few years, several of my fountain pens clogged if Noodler's #41 Brown sat in the pen unused for a few days, so I began thinking of trying something different and I became intrigued when Parker sold a dolled up fiber tipped pen for over $100; that led me to consider the $1.60 Pilot V Razor fiber tipped pen. Blue or Black, it was a very nice pen. At $1.60 I could afford to experiment. I wanted the nostalgic look, that Noodler's #41 Brown offered, and it's bullet proof too; so today I put Noodler's into the Pilot V Razor, and wow. My hunch was right, it looks good on paper, and the writing instrument is much more rugged than my fountain pens.

Micron Pigma and Copic Multiliners. The former is disposable, the latter is refillable. Both are waterproof and lightfast, if I recall correctly. Lines aren't as crisp as a Uniball Signo gel pen (also waterproof and lightfast).

• 1 month later...

I have a Cross porous point refill in a vintage refillable Flair, extra fine tip. Works very nicely. Also love my modern day non refillable Paper Mate Flairs with cranberry ink.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

I tried the Sharpie pens and was very impressed with them. They're refillable, but as yet, I've only seen them in black.

Waterman do a rather nice fibre tip that can be used instead of the rollerball refill in their pens. I have an Expert with a red fibre tip refill in it. I think the refills also come in different thicknesses - I have a fine tip, and I have seen extra fine tips available. They aren't that easy to find but Cult Pens does them.

These felt-tip rollerball refills are Waterman Part-Number 54060W (Extra Fine Black), these are the same size as the ubiquitous Pilot G2 refills and will fit in the Waterman Hemisphere rollerball.

Edited by Drone

For high end ones Montblanc is your best bet. I have had Visconti branded ones that I believe we're made by Schmidt that were pretty good.

My favorite is the Staedtler Triplus. Schneider also makes good ones. I'm not a fan of Stabilos or Pilot Razor points. Copic makes a good one but it's expensive and the refills aren't that durable.

I would be curious to try one by Uni.

I got a great deal on a Parker Ingenuity pen which uses a felt tip. It's a lovely pen and a writes well.