The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Please Help My Identify This Duofold

parker duofold vacumatic

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:05

Hello all, I won this pen off an ebay auction for $42 a few days ago. It was listed as a Parker 51 vacumatic. After receiving the pen it says Parker Duofold 1 on it. I tried cross referencing it on sites like Richardspens to try to find out aproximate year that mine was made, but I'm having a hard time finding one just like this. I've found ones similar but they usually have a solid gold band on the cap not the two gold lines, or some minor difference. As far as I can tell it doesn't fill with ink, guessing bladder needs to be replaced. It was described in the auction as not tested with ink so I wasn't surprised. Can't for the life of me get the nib housing to unscrew from the body of the pen, actually twisted the nib around a bit but it went right back into place, no damage. Only other thing is it's missing it's clip but I found some on ebay for around $25 so I'll pick one up. Not sure how to attach it tho since the end of the cap has a small plastic threat like something should screw in and all the replacement ones I see look like just a round circle, so I guess I'd have to glue it on or find that cap that screws on. Anyhow any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

POWC1D4l.jpg

jxYANgjl.jpg

TLSMmYal.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:21

1940- maybe 41 Striped Duofold Junior.

Do you see a "0" or "1" Datecode?

Edited by Apothic, 04 October 2014 - 06:23.

www.pen-deco.com

#3 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:37

It is a 1, Parker Duofold 1

#4 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:45

Also thank you for the response. 

#5 icardoth

icardoth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 13:47

Striped Duofold, not 51. Have a look here: http://richardspens....duo_profile.htm

#6 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 14:37

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to get the nib housing to unscrew from the body of the pen?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#7 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 14:46

Thank you, hopefully this pen is still good.
Looking at a drawing of the assembly of the pen I thought you had to take out the nib to get to the bladder

#8 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 15:57

Varekai, It would be best not to try to open this pen. It is a Vacumatic and it needs to be opened at the other end--where the filler unit is located. And that takes a special tool. Also, there is no bladder/sac, so to speak: it has a diaphragm. As for the clip, it is attached with a "jewel," so you will need one of those, too.  You should probably send it off to be repaired professionally if you plan to use it.

Danny Fudge does great work, can often source parts, and does not have a long waiting period.

Good luck,

Daniel 

#9 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 16:57

Judging from the pictures, I'm thinking that your's is a Sub-Deb. size, which was the ladies model.

And yes, it is a "Striped" Duofold that is Vacumatic filled. The red color is really nice.

Also, the "1" on the barrel is the date code for 1941. It might also have a series of dots which stand for the quarter of the year that the pen was produced: three dots=1st, two dots=2nd, one dot=3rd and no dots=4th quarter.

Edited by Florida Blue, 04 October 2014 - 17:02.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#10 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 19:28

Also thank you for the response. 

No problem.

www.pen-deco.com

#11 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:57

Varekai, It would be best not to try to open this pen. It is a Vacumatic and it needs to be opened at the other end--where the filler unit is located. And that takes a special tool. Also, there is no bladder/sac, so to speak: it has a diaphragm. As for the clip, it is attached with a "jewel," so you will need one of those, too.  You should probably send it off to be repaired professionally if you plan to use it.
Danny Fudge does great work, can often source parts, and does not have a long waiting period.

Good luck,
Daniel

Thank you. Do you think this pen would be worth getting fixed considering it's not what I thought it was?

#12 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:27

The section is threaded into the barrel and is most likely shellac'd in place. A little heat would loosen that up. If you have section pliers, then unscrew it with those. If you don't then I wouldn't get any crazy ideas.

Is there a black jewel on the cop of the cap? Looks like something might be up there according to your pictures. I have a clip. PM me if you want it.

www.pen-deco.com

#13 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:20

yes it is, for not too much. i second the suggestion to send it to danny fudge (www.thewritepen.net). i'd strongly advise you against doing anything further on the pen yourself, as it's easy to damage if not properly opened, and then at that point it might not be worth fixing ;)

Thank you. Do you think this pen would be worth getting fixed considering it's not what I thought it was?

Check out my blog and my pens

#14 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 15:18

The filler is called a speedline filler, they only made them for a couple years. Your pen appears to have the wrong end cap, they had a jewel in them during the years the speedlines were produced.

#15 Varekai

Varekai

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 19:54

yes it is, for not too much. i second the suggestion to send it to danny fudge (www.thewritepen.net). i'd strongly advise you against doing anything further on the pen yourself, as it's easy to damage if not properly opened, and then at that point it might not be worth fixing ;)

Thank you, I will contact him. I haven't messed with the pen again, actually haven't been home been away this weekend.

#16 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:00

The filler is called a speedline filler, they only made them for a couple years. Your pen appears to have the wrong end cap, they had a jewel in them during the years the speedlines were produced.

The blind cap is correct for a model like that. Only the 1941 Senior Duovac had a jewel, the rest were singled jeweled with a pointed blind cap. 

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#17 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:07

I disagree. In my opinion, the Senior and Ingenue would have sported the bottom blind cap jewel; until 1942. He's got a Junior, which wouldn't have had a Blue Diamond on the clip or a jeweled blind cap.

www.pen-deco.com

#18 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:13

Apothic, why are you advising the OP to remove the section? 

Regards,

Daniel

#19 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2014 - 22:53

Apothic, why are you advising the OP to remove the section? 

Regards,
Daniel

Not advising. But if he must I'd rather him know that it's threaded and likely shellac'd.
www.pen-deco.com

#20 pen-deco

pen-deco

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:46

Did you receive the clip I sent?
www.pen-deco.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duofold, vacumatic