The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mixing Noodlers Black With Other Inks?!

mix noodlers black mixing inks separation of inks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stoof2010

stoof2010

ink stained hands

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:01

Hello all!!!
So i tried an experiment after reading aboit some people mixing inks with noodlers black. I mkxed 1:1 with diamine poppy red, and for a day or so it was great. Then i noticed the bla k disappeared. When i looked at the vial i mixed it in, the inks had separated.... :-( it was such an awesome color! Kind of like when you touch the nibs of a pilot parallel with one having black and one having red.
I digress....
So how come this happened?!? Ive read about alpt of people mixing similar to these two and it working... did i do something wrong? Im worried about wasting more ink to try bpb with any other inks...
Any thoughts on why this happened to me amd is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
-Stefan

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:11

When mixing inks, especially between brands, there's always a chance that they will react in a bad way.  It's not too common, but it does sometimes happen.  Usually it's best to mix a little in a vial (like the Goulet sample vials) and let it sit for a while, maybe overnight, before trying it in a pen.  That way you don't put a fresh mixture into your pen and find out the next day that it's turned to jelly.

#3 yannori

yannori

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:19

I tried mixing some Noodler's Black with Private Reserve Purple Haze in a cartridge.  The cartridge was a bit old and needed a refresh.  It came out a very subtle purple grey that flows nicely.  It took about 2 days for the ink to really pick a color though.

'How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?'

Sherlock Holmes Quote

-The Sign of Four

#4 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 15:29

I had cartridges of Private Reserve Grey Flannel. The ink wasn't dark enough for me, so I added some Noodler's black and had no problems.

#5 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 16:39

I've mixed and continue to mix Noodler's Black with pretty much everything I own bar my Iron Gall inks.

Never a problem.

Lucky perhaps ?

#6 stoof2010

stoof2010

ink stained hands

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:08

So maybe it was just the diamine poppy red that it didnt work with. I think im safe to try others. Guess im just unlucky on the first and only ink i tried to mix it with. Ill try somemore then. Maybe sheaffer red will get along with it...
-Stefan

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 stoof2010

stoof2010

ink stained hands

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2014 - 17:10

When mixing inks, especially between brands, there's always a chance that they will react in a bad way.  It's not too common, but it does sometimes happen.  Usually it's best to mix a little in a vial (like the Goulet sample vials) and let it sit for a while, maybe overnight, before trying it in a pen.  That way you don't put a fresh mixture into your pen and find out the next day that it's turned to jelly.

I did use a vial. Thabk god lol. But only waited a couple hours. Didnt turn to jelly, the black just separated and floated, given the next day it was just red. The vial looked like oil and water lol
-Stefan

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 18:34

Hi,

Thanks for sharing - even if your inky adventure was unfortunate. :)

While I do not use Black FP ink, I think it may be the case that the ink types were a mismatch: Noodler's Black being a member of the bulletproof family, and Diamine Poppy Red being a 'simple' aniline dye ink.

While I think the rule of thumb mentioned by Member tonybelding is a good one, with some ink manufacturers offing different types of ink under the same marque, Ms Fussy thinks a bit of refinement to that rule of thumb seems a good thing. e.g. Montblanc has two types of ink in their line-up, and DeAtramentis has quite a few. (That hasn't prevented me from trying various recipes, including iron-gall + bulletproof*, but a bit of a heads-up risk management seems appropriate.)

Bye,

S1

__ __

* ESSRI + Noodler's Lexington Grey @ Post № 3 http://www.fountainp...ixes/?p=2235528

Edited by Sandy1, 03 October 2014 - 18:38.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mix, noodlers black, mixing inks, separation of inks

Sponsored Content

|