The Jinhao 599 Fountain Pen Range

Jamerelbe

The nib that is closest to that of the Safari is actually a nib and feed that appears on Hero pens and Indian Flair pens. I am wondering if Jinhao uses different nib suppliers the way some Western companies use Schmidt or Bock nibs?

Flair pens - are they outside India available via the Internet? Can always do with more Safari clones!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Alohamora

• PDW

• hazel

Someone else reported trying to take one apart on one of these 599 item/topics, and found the "hood" to be glued to the section, and so not removable, and you can't get the nib/feed out without removing the hood.

I can confirm that the nib on the hooded varieties will simply pull out, leaving the feed in place. Then you can work on the nib, or whatever you're doing to it, and then just push the nib back in over the feed and line it up properly and you're back in business.

I bought a dozen of the Jinhao 599 clear plastic "medium" standard nib variety, and a dozen of the 599 clear plastic hooded fine nib variety. Nearly every pen wrote very nicely straight out of the box, on both varieties. Only a few needed any nib smoothing and that was it; no DOA pens! I pulled the nib out of one of the hooded fine nib pens just to play with tuning it a bit, and it pushed back in and it writes nicely with no problems.

One thing I notice with the hooded variety is that the feed is longer than it is on the standard nib version. The end of the feed extends into the converter slightly, so the piston on the converter cannot be extended all the way down without hitting the end of the feed. So, if you keep twisting the converter after it makes contact with the feed, it will dislodge itself; with the potential of damaging the end of the piston if you repeatedly do this. It's best just to not extend the piston all the way!

These pens are attractive and write so well that it's hard to knock them at all, for what they are. And, as mentioned already, they make great beginner pens for friends who want to give fountain pens a try.

It's too bad the barrels have the Safariesque slotted windows in them, otherwise these might make pretty good eyedroppers!

So how bad is the quality of the plastic? Better or worse than a Preppy? (I've had 3 preppy caps crack)

Any difference in plastic quality between the sold and transparent ones?

Yeah, I know the metal ones would hold up better, but I find heavy pens, especially cheaply made ones very annoying.

So how bad is the quality of the plastic? Better or worse than a Preppy? (I've had 3 preppy caps crack)

Yeah, I know the metal ones would hold up better, but I find heavy pens, especially cheaply made ones very annoying.

The metal 599s I *think* would hold up well in comparison to the Lamy AL-star - in my experience, it's just a very well-made pen. That said, the plastic pens are pretty good, too - made from a sturdy plastic that would be broadly comparable to the Safari. The two things that *potentially* let these pens down (relative to the Safari) are (1) The metal ring the cap seals onto may provide a less air-tight seal than is the case for the black plasticky seal on the Safari; and (2) the quality of the pens coming out of the moulding may be a little more variable. Most of them will be just fine; one of my six 599s had a couple of raised 'bumps' (admittedly not very big) at the top of the grip section, that make it a little more difficult to manoeuvre the nib in and out.

In terms of durability, the plastic in these pens is streets ahead of the plastic the Preppy is made from.

Let me just add: no significant difference, as far as I can tell, between the clear and solid plastic pens. They're both pretty solids.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my 7 pack of medium solid colors arrived today. I got very lucky with a very low ebay bid, pens took about 2 weeks to arrive.

I'm impressed with them so far. the plastic does feel better than the Preppy. The one I've inked up writes very smooth right out of the bubblewrap.

I recently purchased this set because I wanted to experiment on ink, rather than mess up a decent pen. Especially, considering that they were inexpensive. But, I saw someone do a modified Jinhao using a flex nib from FPR. Is this something I can do to this pen? I'd really like to get a flex nib in this pen. :)

You can certainly fit a #5 flex nib from FPR in these pens. Whether you sufficient ink flow to avoid railroading, I can't tell you - it will probably depend on the wetness of the ink you use!

Thank you!! I'll give it a try and see what happens. I just like flexi nibs. And someone was saying the flex nibs in FPR were pretty decent. I'm still new and playing with pens.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a set of a dozen of the colored clear demonstrators on eBay a couple weeks ago. Great quality for the super cheap price, and with a little nib smoothing, the one I tested writes well.

I got them so that I can ink a few at a time and make them available for my high school students to test out. They are always interested in my pens, but hesitant to ask me to try mine. A good way to inspire a new generation of fountain pen users.

Let me just add: no significant difference, as far as I can tell, between the clear and solid plastic pens. They're both pretty solids.

I did notice this week that JetPens.com now has Jinhao 599A, with all plastic solid and transparent colors. Not as cheap as on eBay, but at $3.45, a great price for a fountain pen, though they only sell with medium nibs.

They also have the metal 599's for $5.25.

Both are good price competition with the Platinum Preppy, especially since they have converters included.

Well, my 7 pack of medium solid colors arrived today. I got very lucky with a very low ebay bid, pens took about 2 weeks to arrive.

I'm impressed with them so far. the plastic does feel better than the Preppy. The one I've inked up writes very smooth right out of the bubblewrap.

My experience exactly. I like the Preppy but every one I've had developed cracks in the cap within a few weeks. Not so with the 599, as least until now. The plastic seems to be sturdy, but these pens won't last forever. Still, for a cheap starter pen, they are good - and the colors are cheerful.

My 6 year old has been using one for a few weeks - if only I can get her to hold the section, not the nib! I suspect she enjoys having inky fingers.